Do you prime your insulin pens regularly?

Actually the after 6 use needle might not be very different from the after 1 use. The use of a higher magnification is very deceptive here.

1 Like

I’ve been told that avoiding reuse isn’t just about needle shape but also helps keep the insulin sterile. If the needle is left on, the insulin will be exposed to the outside air to some degree. I want to keep my insulin as sterile as possible, especially since I use my pen of rapid-acting for IM injections.

Eh, I figure using a pen needle 3 times causes significantly less scar tissue than a needle or canula buried under the skin for 2-3 days.

I think everyone is well aware that using a needle more than once isn’t as ideal as using a new one with every injection.

I don’t really want this thread to be about judging how many times someone uses a pen needle.

I created the thread because I hadn’t realized how beneficial priming an insulin pen could be. I thought it might help others in case they weren’t aware. Insulin pens weren’t around when I was diagnosed so they weren’t included in my education. I suppose I should’ve realized that could be a potential problem, but I thought that as long as the bubble in the pen wasn’t at the top of the vial when I injected, I would be getting the dose I dialed into the pen. I’m seeing that isn’t the case now. It’s always a good day when I remove/identify an easily manageable variable of diabetes management. Hopefully someone else benefits.

1 Like

The interesting thing that I wasn’t expecting about your thread is how much discussion it has sparked and how many approaches there are.

I agree! It’s helpful to read all of them too. Makes me think about the best approach for me as I prime. Still not sure on up vs down. I was just priming up so I could get the bubble out, but I can see why priming down might be better if that’s the way you will inject. Or perhaps it doesn’t matter either way?

Anyway, lots of interesting posts.

1 Like