DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

That’s why I drink it. :grimacing:

No! Try not.
Do or do not. There is no try.

3 Likes

And this serves as evidence that you are NOT reading all the way until the end of my messages… you’re reading the first couple of words and paraphrasing/projecting. And looking for videos to drive home your point.

You still there? :smiley:

I have a real question … tomorrow is just 2.5 miles with warm up and cool down… does it need to be on a track??

Just messin’ witchya.

No, but try to find an area where there is not too much incline. I want you to try to hit the pace.

hahahaha

1 Like

Hey DN, what kind did you get for the running shoes?

1 Like

Brooks… the only kind they had in my size. And that fit your requirements. :wink:

One catch… I don’t wear wide, and they had wide, so now I’m a proud owner of wide. :neutral_face:

With all of my numbness problems though, I was kind of hoping it might turn out to be good??

Also of note: I’m going to the beach next Saturday. :grimacing: forgot to mention it. Leaving the 28th and going for a week… I have no idea if there’s a track, but I think there’s plenty of big flat open road available.

And I got the nerve block rescheduled for August 30th…

What else?

The shoes, try to break them in on a couple of easy runs first. Make sure it’s all good before you wear them for brutal work. Unless you are completely sure they fit well.
Are they Adrenaline GTS 18’s?

1 Like

Yes… they are. Are those okay?? And, no, I’m not at all sure about the fit. So I could just wear them on Friday maybe?

And we’re good then about the beach?

The Adrenaline’s are fine. As long as they fit, they will work for you.

You can buy them online in your size if you need to return the ones you bought. Make sure they fit before you run them too much.

Running at the beach is fine, you won’t need a track. That will be the beginning of week 4, which will be a step-back week to let your body recover a little bit. Nothing too hard, just shorter work.

1 Like

So I don’t know how to do splits… or whatever… in order to keep track of anything. I’ve been taking pictures of the distance and time as I finish a lap. I know this is ridiculous, but this is going to be an ongoing problem if you can’t offer help. Basically you’ve given me a time, and then I’ve set off to try to break it down into something I can measure. And then I turn on timers and stop watches and Runkeeper and start taking pictures. A little help???

I have my stuff for today, but it’s sloppy information. I THINK I did the first mile in 8:16, the second in 7:40 and the last half in 3:57… is that even how you want the info?? I also have lap times, but I see I finished my last one at 3.12 miles… and how I did an extra .12 going around the track is beyond me. I’m having organizational issues here…

The runkeeper and track may not be the same distance, but that’s no big deal.

Runkeeper is using some coordinate thingy, and the track - if it is a high school track - is done in meters (unless it hasn’t been rebuilt in 30+ years)

4 laps around a high school track will be 1600 meters, which is just a little bit shorter than a mile. But a small amount (9 meters short), so don’t worry about it.

Just consider 4 laps the same as a mile, and that’s all you need to worry about.

For the timing, I am telling you - get a Garmin! You can upload it, it will keep track of everything on their site, and it will do the splits for you.

Your splits sound great! For the tempo runs, we want them to be fairly constant. We don’t need individual laps, mile splits are fine. For tempo work, you want it to be a generally consistent pace effort. Your numbers are all pretty close pace-wise, so that’s good, it’s exactly what you want to do.

Remember, you need to give me RPE too.

Old shoes, or new shoes today?

1 Like

Sorry. Missed your response!

Old shoes. I’ll put on the new ones tomorrow. And RPE was 5/6 for the first half and 6/7 for the second half? I actually did all of my prep this morning, ZB and all, and then had a change of plans last minute. So I ended up going out midday, and it was really hot. And my headphones didn’t work again, but this time that wasn’t fun… I really could’ve used some music. My BG was better though… I think. I left at a 142 and returned at an 85 and have been pretty smooth since.

And I tried to pick up a Garmin yesterday but had no luck. I’ll order one off the internet.

Sweet. :grin: I really like hearing that…

1 Like

Sorry in advance for the gross question about to come out of my mouth, and so early in the morning, but I have a really nasty blister on my toe that hurts too bad to put into my shoe as is… and I’d like to pop it and drain it. (Sorry). And I’m a diabetic and get nervous about popping and draining anything on my feet. Any ideas on what to do? Maybe on a safe way to fix it?

I’m hoping to head out in an hour for a run and am in the middle of that awkward period with the coffee and no insulin and all of that. I really don’t know how to handle this and am already starting to climb. The only thing I can think of is to get on the trampoline and do a couple of 3-5 minute jumps…which I usually don’t mind doing at all… but somehow those sound less desirable BEFORE a run. Morning routines, which have always been my favorite, are proving to be harder to navigate with my blood sugar…

Yes, you can drain it if it is filled with fluid. But be sterile. Use an alcohol wipe before you do it, and after you are done. And cover it with a band-aid. Also, use a sterile syringe needle, not a rusty nail. :wink:

If it is persistently happening in the same place, you should get some flexible cloth tape to cover it before you run. That will help prevent it.

About the coffee spike, do you only have coffee in the morning, or food also? I had mentioned earlier about you maybe trying to have your coffee a couple hours before you run. Is that possible?

1 Like

I have updates to this morning’s concerns…

Shoved blister and where there was extra space, toe, into my shoe and headed out. Problem solved. Popped and drained. :nauseated_face:

And THIS is why diabetes continues to blow my mind… not because I can never guarantee that there WON’T be a problem but that I can never even bank on there BEING one. ZB for an hour+, 2 (and a half!) cups of coffee cuz I figured all was shot anyway, and headed out the door at a 153 and returned at a 79. :roll_eyes: Could not have planned that if I tried. Apparently not trying and throwing caution to the wind was the trick but won’t be the next time because of course. Did all of my insulin and prebolus and whatever after finishing and immediately began to rise.

But I’ll be back in a minute to tell you of the run…

Are you eating breakfast? You bolused for the coffee, right?

It’s a potential problem if you are not going to eat before running. A 70 point drop is not what we want.

1 Like

I eat a piece of cheese. :neutral_face: no bolus for coffee.

What kind of shop you think I’m running around here? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

So I get that, but everything you add into the mix, the higher I’m going…potentially. This morning was a stupid diabetes anomaly. No basal, no boluses, BONUS coffee, and a 150?? This is usually a 250 kind of morning… 350 if it’s in the cards. I certainly don’t think I can try to make any changes based on today as it was a fluke. The coffee is a problem and will continue to be one… I’m not trying to weasel my way out of that, but it’s usually a high that’s the problem.

And as far as having coffee 2 hours in advance… that’s tricky right now with the heat and the kids home from school. Unless I woke up at 6 am… which would be fine if I weren’t staying up late chatting away my night talking to YoU GUYS…so maybe we should really look at your role in all of this. :grin:

2 Likes