DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

@Eric, hi and good morning and is there a run today?? :grin:

1 Like

Good morning.

Rest day today. Be ready to get back on it this week starting on Monday.

I’d like to get you back on schedule. We don’t do make-ups. Stick to the schedule. This is an easy week, which is good since you are recovering from illness. Next week will pick it up a bit.

1 Like

Here is this week’s schedule, starting tomorrow.

1 Like

I’ve never not done make-ups. My brain is gonna struggle with that, but I understand why.

Okay. I like this week, and I look forward to it. Thank you very much. :hugs:

You said something about having a list of things I need to get/do, but I can’t remember if I just haven’t received it yet…or if I just haven’t looked at it. :grin: Did we do this in any detail or not yet??

1 Like

It is very important for your brain to understand the reason WHY we don’t do makeups.

Here is an example that helps illustrate this…

Imagine you are supposed to run 3 miles on Tuesday, 4 miles on Wednesday, and 3 miles on Thursday.

Now imagine you have missed Tuesday and Wednesday. You can’t run 10 miles on Thursday and think everything is all back to normal.

In this example, you have completely changed the dynamics of your weekend run.

All make sense?

I will put together a list this week. You already have some of it, but it is a complete checklist for you to go through. Don’t need to get it all at once, but definitely don’t want to wait until the last week to start putting it all together.

1 Like

It does, but just because I’m stubborn, it wouldn’t even be a compromise to run like 3 or 4 miles today? Don’t worry, I’m not asking because I’m going to or already have. I’m just curious. I think I’ll hwad out for a walk though— there’s no harm in that, right?

I look forward to getting it. :grin:

Don’t think, just follow the program.
:wink:

Walks are always fine.
:wink:

1 Like

@Eric, hello again. :smiley:

So today was supposed to be 1/2 mile warm up followed by 6 sets of 1/2 mile at 8.0 then 1/2 mile at 6.0. I counted six sets… but then stopped the treadmill at 7.5 miles. So I obviously counted wrong. But in a good way at least.

Anyway, lots happened today that resulted in my having to push my run back over and over again, so I didn’t get to head over for it until almost 5:30. I had planned on doing it by 11, so that was a tough break. At 4, I thought I was good to go, but then my son asked me for something that meant I’d have to push it back one more time, which I agreed to do, so I figured I’d have a coffee. And just one unit of insulin. I knew the unit wouldn’t be out of my system in an hour and a half, but I didn’t want to rise, and I figured how much harm can one unit do? :roll_eyes: It ended up just being more evidence that the only way forward with all of this is on the no coffee path. Anyway, I decided against a zero basal since I was having the coffee, and by the time I was ready to run, my blood sugar was at 131. I still had .75 units on board, so I cut my basal off just before starting.

Starting BG: 131
1/2 mile: 113
mile 1: 92
*Huma and .35 unit bolus
mile 2: 66 (symptomatic— that drop and having the insulin on board… just no good)
mile 2.5: 64
*Gatorade Prime
mile 3: 62
mile 4: 71
mile 5: 68
mile 6: 67
*Transcend and .5 unit bolus AND resume basal
mile 7: 83
*.5 unit bolus

RPE of mostly 6… maybe as high as a 6.7 on the last 2 sets?? But nothing that wasn’t reasonable. I still had some sick symptoms I could’ve done without like raspy lungs and dry throat. All in all, not bad.

That’s all. :smiley:

That’s almost all… I wanted to say about the coffee that it’s not that I can’t get my numbers in check when I have it, it’s that I have no confidence in what I’m doing. The decisions, with that added mystery, just aren’t as good. And the drops really suck. I’m slowly moving away from the idea that it’s helpful in any way. It’s not a fast change, I know, but when I get there, I’ll not doubt why I’m doing it.

1 Like

That Prime is good stuff, isn’t it?

If you get the iFit subscription, you can program your workout ahead of time and that won’t happen. :smiley:

You changed your profile pic back…

But I’m not sure I can go back to the old one??

Dang. Now I have to do that.

Today’s been a good day. :hibiscus:

1. Our school friend, Eric… I saw him today. So sweet and so excited about the activity I am… going to bring him… tomorrow. :grimacing: It was supposed to be today and would’ve been if I hadn’t left it by the door. But I did get to tell him about it, and we had a nice chat. Now he’s got instructions and anticipation… and sometimes that’s the best part. :smiley:

2. Had a wonderful morning volunteering. The kids couldn’t have been cuter, and we had a great discussion. I love it when they’re happy.

3. Had a great run. It was short and simple, but I didn’t have any coffee for it and turned off my basal in advance and got to feel like I was in control of my life for like an hour and a half. :dancer:

So 1 hour ZB, no IOB, and no coffee, baby. And, trust me, I needed some. I was particularly proud because instead of letting that be a very justifiable reason to have a cup, I decided I could do without and so I did without.

Starting BG: 71
*Huma
Mi 1: 74
Mi 2: 68
Mi 3: 78
*resume basal and did 1 unit bolus
Mi 3.5: 79 (finish)
*1 unit

I went to to 3.5 because I forgot I was stopping at 3. But I stopped as soon as I remembered. RPE maybe 5.

3 Likes

i just got back from a great 90 minute swim. hard and fast as i could. it totally puts life into a new dimension. i’m currently on a cloud in Heaven :sunny:

5 Likes

you runners astound me when it comes to basal. it takes me 2.5 hours of ZB before i can swim. are you re-fueling as you go with carbs? if i begin under 120, i MUST add some carbs in before i jump into the pool. either that, or sink. and your numbers are outstanding. this is a serious goal for me. WOW, am i impressed.

how long does it take you to run 3.5 miles? what is your pace? just curious, as my swims are almost always 90 minutes long. if i swim moderately, i swim for 3.5 miles. if i swim faster, i do about 4.5 miles.
but, from my running (pre-D ) days, i know that swimming and running are entirely different on the body.

would love to hear back from you!!!

Daisy Mae

2 Likes

It’s good to the core that feeling. And it lasts… until the next day when I need my fill again. :grin: I love that it does that for you, too. :heart:

2 Likes

another question for you:

when you are running, can you feel your BG dropping? or do you have to finger stick or use your cgm? when i am swimming, i have absolutely no sense of if i am dropping or not. i must get out of the pool and finger stick every 1/2 hour. otherwise, i’m toast.

1 Like

I am learning that it’s less about my starting BG than it is about my insulin on board. I can’t even tell you what a difference this makes. If I’ve had no boluses and have cut my basal even 30 or 40 minutes before starting, I could start at a BG of 80 and go for a couple of miles without needing carbs. The more stable I am when I have no insulin on board, the further I can go without needing anything. I think I’ve done a couple of 6 mile runs where I’ve only taken one gel— maybe 24 grams of carbs. If I don’t cut my basal though, I’m re-fueling with carbs a lot earlier and more frequently, and if I have any kind of bolus on board, forget about it. I can’t believe how long it’s taken for me to understand this.

:star_struck::star_struck::star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:
Just made my day. :smiley:

I’m thrilled to say I’m getting faster… but I’m still not fast. Eric has given me a schedule, and much of it is just to run at whatever pace has been dictated. Today that was a 9:15 pace, but I ran my race at about 8 minutes a mile? Getting faster but still not fast, like I said. :smirk:

So now I must ask you… are you swimming 3.5-4.5 miles a day?! I was talking to my mom about you, and I think I’ve told you my mom is a very good swimmer, and she almost fell over when I read to her what you had written. I knew you got in the pool for a good chunk of time most days, but I had no idea. I was pretending to be you over the summer when I had to swim. I got up to an hour in the pool. I would just tell myself I was daisymae, and that’s how I got through it. Now I understand I was about 1/16th daisymae. :smiley:

5 Likes

I don’t trust what I feel, and I don’t trust what I don’t feel. I test, too. And the more things I have going on to make it unclear of where I’m headed, the more often I test. I have some runs where I don’t go a half mile between tests, and then I have runs where I try to make myself space them out a little so that I can learn to pay attention to my body’s cues. I also really dislike feeling low during a workout, so I rely on testing to help me avoid that… as much as possible.

During my brief stint with swimming, I couldn’t feel lows that well in the water. Have you tried the Libre? I put my reader in a clear bag and left it at the end of the lane. It doesn’t lose signal, and as long as you’re not falling fast, it usually gives a good reading. I’m not encouraging replacing the finger sticks because you can’t, but I can see what a hassle it would be to have to climb out of the water every time you need to check your sugar. Maybe you could decrease the number of times you have to get out??

1 Like

that’s hysterical. i very much doubt that you could possibly be 1/16th. you are a workout hero !!!

2 Likes

i tried the Libre twice. it fell off in the pool. i called Abbott and asked about it b/c i was told that it was waterproof. Abbott rep told me different; it is only water resistant. and, since i am in the pool OVER the 1/2 hour Libre guarrentee, it wont be helpful to me at all. i also tried the Dexcom. yes, it did stay on in the water, however it constantly lost its signal b/c the lanes are too long to keep its signal. it was always out of range. (and there are other reasons that i no longer use the Dexcom)

i have found that getting out every 1/2 hour works well for me. i use to stay in longer, and i found that, since i cannot sense my lows (or highs) in the water, i was crashing terribly.

2 Likes