DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

I’m nothing if not stubborn and hard-headed. Swore off glucose tablets on Wednesday and ate them again on Friday. I seriously have two gum injuries and two crappy runs to show for them. Anyway.

Yesterday I ran just the 4 miles, but it ended up being too many “I’m learning from these kinds of days” days in a row. I’d like to learn nothing today and just nail my blood sugar. However, I did not have any coffee within hours of the run, and I survived, so that was a victory. Other than that, there’s not much to say. But I’m sure I can find something anyway. :smiley:

I did a good job not bolusing or eating before the run (nothing for 4 hours), and that’s also a big deal. That’s getting easier and easier. I did not, however, turn off my basal. This is some kind of mental block, and I’ve gotta get over it. I ended up going into my run with no IOB but didn’t cut the basal until about 5 minutes before starting.

Starting BG: 87
*transcend (didn’t want to wait until I started dropping since I’ve had a couple of low-feeling runs lately that sucked)
Mi 1: 67
Mi 2.3: 64
*2 glucose tablets and one gum injury
Mi 3:
*Stinger and resume basal
Mi 3.75:
.7 unit bolus
Mi 4: 66 (finish and walk)

Thoughts:
*I’m making these runs harder than they have to be. I’m struggling with getting myself to cut the basal and then am insisting on messing with glucose tablets instead of “wasting” a gel or prime. I think I’ll start with taking the glucose tabs off the treadmill so there’s no choice.

*I have been getting into turning off Basal-IQ in the morning as soon as I’m out of the woods with the morning routine. I did that yesterday, kind of hoping I’d get a snack before I ran, but when it looked like I wasn’t going to, I should’ve just cut the basal, too. I hesitated but don’t know why. I have a feeling it has to do with coffee… and the distant hope I can get a cup. Today, with a long run ahead of me, I’ll cut my basal and keep to a schedule. This is more mental work than it is physical… all of this pre-run stuff. I hate the mental work.

*I lacked confidence again on yesterday’s run. It was part not having cut the basal and being worried I was going to drop and part insisting on using the glucose tabs. I was doing just fine using only gels and adding a little insulin where necessary. Now I’m trying to custom fit the carbs, and it just means I keep going low. Gotta cut that out.

I guess that means my two main goals for today are to take the glucose tabs off the treadmill and just treat with the gels and to cut off my basal one hour before I run. I’ll go spend some quality time with my coffee pot now then…

3 Likes

As always, inspiring. I played it, I sang along, I hummed it on my way over to the treadmill… and put those crap-tabs up and out of reach. :rofl: Thank you for the song. For some reason, they’re more motivating than standard speech and reasoning. :smiley:

Nailed my BG today. Almost 4 hours in traffic is what I spent before getting away for my run, but I managed to hold it together and not eat a bunch of stuff that was going to mess me up. I almost had a coffee… so close to buckling… but kept thinking about how it was worse trying to sort it out than it was just running a little tired. That was all the convincing it took. So no IOB, no food, and almost 45 minutes of ZB.

Starting BG: 93
Mi 1: 89
Mi 2: 89
Mi 2.3: (20 minutes in— just like you recommended last week)
*Stinger
*.5 unit bolus
Mi 3.15: 83
Mi 4.15: 87
Mi 6: 75
*Huma
*.5 unit
Mi 7: 79
Mi 8: 81

Oh, and total time was an hour and ten minutes. I ran 7 miles at a speed of 6.9. It was faster than you had written, but it was still going to be easier than what I did last weekend. Turned out to be just fine.

No coffee. No crap-tabs. That’s how you do it, baby. RPE of 5.5… So very happy.

Now I have a sore throat, a fever, and a second child with the flu. So :crossed_fingers:.

6 Likes

Starting BG: 93
Mi 1: 89
Mi 2: 89
Mi 2.3: (20 minutes in— just like you recommended last week)
*Stinger
*.5 unit bolus
Mi 3.15: 83
Mi 4.15: 87
Mi 6: 75
*Huma
*.5 unit
Mi 7: 79
Mi 8: 81

Wow! are you a human or a machine???Those numbers are amazing

4 Likes

Thank you thank you thank you thank you. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I was really happy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

These are stellar numbers!
:star2::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation:

You are just a diabetic poser. :rofl:

Seriously, look at those numbers!

A little ZB, a couple of BG checks, and a few carbs and insulin timed right and that’s all it takes, right?

What else can I say, that was tremendous.

(a little credit goes to Diana Ross! :wink:)

2 Likes

Most the credit. :smiley:

It really is all it takes. So much easier this way.

Thank you. Thank you very much. :hugs:
…but not more tremendous than what you did last night. Congratulations. :bouquet::1st_place_medal: You’re an inspiration.

2 Likes

The whole house is down with the flu. I obviously am not running today, but I am also better. Not my nose… or my hygiene… those things are still in great distress, but I’m upright. Not upright in the shower, which would be awesome, but at least I didn’t go to the food store with greasy hair and in my dirty pajamas…

Just kidding. I did go to the food store in that condition, but it’s because everyone’s sick now so I don’t get to be sick anymore.

I came on here to talk about running. Since I’m on the right path, :crossed_fingers:, but did have a 102 fever today so not exactly “out of the woods” either, what do we think is a reasonable goal for returning to the schedule?? 8 weeks didn’t exactly leave much room for…not training. What do you think?

3 Likes

One week off won’t hurt too much. You lose a bit of fitness but you gain freshness for the following week.

Two weeks off would start to become an issue, so make sure you are completely better before you get back on it.

See how you are doing on Wednesday. If you are better and can run a few base miles, do that on Wednesday instead of the pace run.

Aim for being back 100% for the Saturday LSD.

Here is an update.

2 Likes

oh no!!! hope everyone gets better soon.

2 Likes

The plan is that everyone gets coffee if they’re not better by Wednesday. :grin:

2 Likes

Flu infestation. That’s what I had going on today, and that was about the only thing going on today. I was supposed to have run, obviously, but couldn’t, obviously, so I got to thinking about a slow, light walk on the treadmill just to move a little. Fortunately, I felt great and probably could’ve slow-walked a couple of miles, unfortunately, my thigh muscle, with my G6 jammed into the muscle, couldn’t. It actually amazed me because the sensor is a couple of days old, and it has been hurting—but barely. I also have been taking a boat load of Ibuprofen and Tylenol and have been sleeping much of the time… So I suppose it must’ve been in my muscle since insertion but was numbed out and not seeing much movement. It took about 30 seconds on the treadmill to feel like a dagger.

I want to be writing about running. That’s what I’m doing here giving a blow by blow on my 8 minute, slow, painful walk. I pulled the sensor. End of that story. The only thing truly relevant is that my chest did not feel great on the walk and feels worked when I go up the stairs. I’d like to try running tomorrow but am nervous it’s not going to be so easy a return.

When in doubt, leave it out.

You can skip this entire week, and I can adjust your schedule and get you back on it. If your recovery is delayed further by going too soon, it will be harder to get back on schedule.

So bail on tomorrow completely. Let me adjust the schedule moving forward.

Hope you all feel better soon, @Nickyghaleb!

Great work, @Nickyghaleb and @Eric! Just catching up on the last 90 posts now. Impressive.

3 Likes

Feeing better, @T1Allison! Thank you for wishing it for me. :smiley:

How are the people in your house?? Our entire area is down with the flu. I hope the people around your way are better at washing their hands? :smiley:

Okay so this was 4 days ago you wrote that. I bailed on everything between my last run and one hour ago… so I missed the whole week. :roll_eyes: But I had a great run today, so at least there’s that.

I managed to organize about 45 minutes of Zero Basal before heading out the door and had no coffee or carbs or IOB for hours before I was ready to go. I was testing at an 83 while I was still at home, but since I have a half mile walk up to my running path, I had 3 glucose tablets while I finished getting ready. At the corner where I start, I tested again and had a 78. I decided to have my Stinger, which I’m becoming quite fond of, by the way.

Starting BG: 78
Mi 1: 93
Mi 2: 92
Mi 3: 91
Mi 4: 78
Mi 5.5: 82 (finish)
Resumed basal for the mile walk home and did .5 unit bolus and added 2.5 units as I walked in the door so I could have a banana. Don’t know if it will hold, but so far I’m at an even 100.

RPE was like 5ish, but my lungs took a little convincing at a few different places in the run. I decided midway through I wanted to complete 5 miles, which seemed reasonable enough for how I felt, but my RunKeeper did something funny with either my time or my mileage. I can’t figure out what it did, but I seemed to gain a half mile somewhere, but then I’m really not sure I did because my 5 miles ended just where I started… and my Apple Watch showed a similar distance… Lots of confusing stuff I’ve never seen before. I still don’t understand it, but I ended up covering it with an extra half mile anyway, so that was fine. I’d like to understand it though. Oh! I know why I was talking about it… it said I completed 5.5 in 43:23, and I KNOW this is not right. It also gave me credit for a 4.5 minute mile… which I suppose I may have run, but… :wink:

That’s it. Very happy. :yum:

3 Likes

You bet!

Yikes.

My youngest missed three weeks of school plus spring break for some other issues, but he appears to be on the mend. Hopefully he’ll make it through a normal school week next week!

2 Likes

Good to just get back out there. Don’t worry about times or mileage for this one, you are getting back, so just having a run today is great.

BG is stellar!

What is going on with your Garmin? The Garmin should be accurate for distance and pace. If it is not, call their support and figure out what is going on.

You can use all that other stuff if you want, but your Garmin should be accurate. And if not, I think it would still be covered under warranty.

The Stinger gels are fine for shorter runs, and even up to your Half. But as the distance increases, you will eventually want to go with something that has a higher percentage of glucose. Fructose will not raise your BG as much in the later stages of your runs, and as the distance increases. For now it is fine, but when you get over 10 miles, consider using the Stingers earlier in the runs inf you want to stick with them, and go with something else in the later miles.

We can discuss the reasons for this in greater depth if you would like.

https://www.honeystinger.com/chocolate-caffeinated-organic-gel

There’s a link in the link for the “full nutrition info”…

I’m trying to give you the link to the ingredients because I’m confused… This was one of the ones I bought because I thought it was NOT fructose… My head hurts too bad right now to go get an image of the ingredients, or I’d just do that. But this has got fructose?? How would I have known that for next time?

I have no idea. I haven’t messed with it since the 5k. The pace was so jumpy it was worthless, and you gave me some very good advice to check the settings, but I haven’t done it yet. I will try to do it tomorrow. I’d really like to be able to use it for my runs.

Okay, the original Stinger gels were basically nothing but honey. Get it? Stinger? A bee? Honey?

But then they branched out and started making different kinds of things, with stuff beside honey.

They all still have honey. Honey is not the best carb source because it has a bit too much fructose. It does not hit the desired 2:1 ratio of glucose:fructose.

So the new Stinger gels have different things in them besides honey. And the other ingredients may get them closer to the desired 2:1 ratio. But I do not know what their ratio is. And unless they tell you, or there is someone who has researched it, you might not know.

The reason I highly recommend Huma is because they specifically make their stuff at the 2:1 ratio. And that really is the best, according to anyone who knows anything about this stuff. Particularly Asker Jeukendrup, PhD, and all the other smart people.

https://www.gssiweb.org/sports-science-exchange/article/sse-108-multiple-transportable-carbohydrates-and-their-benefits

Additionally, the other stuff they put in Stinger…I am not so sure about! Look at the first ingredient in the link you posted.

With me so far?

Now look at this…

Anyway, that’s why I recommend Huma.

1 Like

Hmmm. That’s not exactly ideal.

Huma it is. :grin:

And even though I’m already sold, I’ll still read the article. Because honey has fructose… and I didn’t even know that I didn’t know that. :woman_facepalming:

1 Like