DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

On its way: Honey Stinger, Huma Gel, Transcend, and Gatorade Prime

And I’m headed over to pick up another couple over-priced but very effective CVS Glucose Liquid Shots. Because they work.

So excited.

Just out of curiosity, can I not just put sugar in one of these little bottles and mix with a little water??? Do glucose tablets dissolve?? And I saw powders that definitely dissolve… if I can find one that is any cheaper than the stuff I’m getting, could I try that?

I recognize the themes around here… @Eric’s seems to be works well, @Trying’s seems to be natural and not full of chemicals, and mine, in case it’s not clear, is cheap, cheap, cheap, and not going to kill me. It is what it is.

2 Likes

You could just use lemon or tea and some regular table sugar. That’s what we used in the desert last winter for two weeks, it worked perfectly well :slight_smile: It will be hard to beat the price.

1 Like

You can do whatever you like, but…

• Gatorade prime uses various sources, like isomaltulose, dextrin, and maltodextrin as a secondary ingredient. So it’s delivery is better than straight table sugar.

• The pre-packaged pouches are easy. Put a bunch in your fridge, take some to your treadmill, and whatever you don’t use, put them back. It will always be ready to go, instead of having to mix it up before a run every time.

• It will always be consistent, rather than your homemade mixes. The same amount of carbs in every pouch.

• Each pouch has 23 grams, so you don’t have to guess by trying to drink a certain number of ounces out of your own bottle.

• The price you saw on Amazon…not sure what is up with that. Here it is for $26 for 20 pouches.
    Amazon.com
    Try that link. Once you get it into your Amazon order history, maybe it will be easier to re-order at the cheap price.

Try to keep it simple. Mixing your own really doesn’t do much for you.

Keep in mind, sometimes you get leaky ones from Amazon. That’s one of the downsides. But just toss those and keep the good ones. It’s still pretty cheap I think.

1 Like

Those are all excellent reasons. I’m excited about getting them. Just exploring options…

1 Like

Would be good to buy it once from Amazon so it’s in your history.

I would’ve been happy to have bought it there already. That’s cheaper than what I paid. How did you find it?? I looked and looked, and it only gave me the one option.

Regardless. When and where and how do we get conversation going about my new goal??? Is there something else I need to do because I’m losing my mind waiting. :grin:

1 Like

Maybe this is part of the goal…

I mean, you ran 10 miles at an RPE of 6 yesterday without having a goal…

You know @Eric better than I do but maybe his silence is purposeful…like a Yoda thing…

1 Like

Yes!!! Cheap is good, too, though! :slight_smile: I’m looking forward to getting your opinion on these once they arrive!

Yes, all good points. When I was taking my own sugar syrup on hikes and long off-road bike rides, I wasn’t even aware there were commercial options beyond those hard white B-D tabs. Or maybe there weren’t. I’m getting old.:disappointed_relieved:

4 Likes

I have long given up on trying to understand men’s silence, and have just learned to embrace it.

:rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

With a little help from my friend, coffee.

Best friend in the world. Puts all of my lazier friends to shame.

2 Likes

Maybe it has to do with getting old… or maybe there’s some kind of self-reliance thing going on there where you didn’t need to set out looking for it because you knew how to get what you needed.

I’m my case, I’m forced to shop. :grin:

Seriously, I think it might be fun to experiment, and I’ll do just that. I also think I’ll be a happier runner if I save my experiments for other times of the day. I’ve just grabbed my first little bottle to fill up with… something creative. I’ll concoct something tonight. Try it on my husband.

2 Likes

I know you are not going to like this, but this is week 1.

You already ordered the gels and Primes, which is good because that was going to be top on your list of things to do this week.

+++++++++++++++++

I’ve been asking you to do this for a while. So this is your assignment. I want a food log for the week. I don’t need all kinds of details. You can put as much detail as you want in there, but this is all I really need.

This is all I care about. I don’t care what foods they are, or why you ate them, or what time. Just totals.

Carb grams Protein grams Fat grams Total Bolus units Total Basal units
Monday (example) 207 113 57 13.8 17.1
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday

Everything you eat, no matter if it’s a snack, a meal, or a correction. Your body doesn’t care if you eat carbs because it’s a correction or meal, it’s all used by the body. Fill this out. No cheating and making stuff up. Give me real numbers.

If there is a day that is an outlier, like 300 grams of corrections one day, or 30 units for high BGs, make a note of that and we can toss it. I want “typical” days.

Grams of each, total bolus, and total basal for each day.

+++++++++++++++++

Buy this book and read chapter 3, and chapters 6-10.
https://www.amazon.com/Nancy-Clarks-Sports-Nutrition-Guidebook/dp/1450459935/

+++++++++++++++++

Last, find a target race. You know what you are looking for now. Give me the date.

Take a look at the course and consider that strongly. Anything with an out-and-back sucks. When you run X number of miles one way, and then have to turn around and run the exact same road on the way back, that is mentally draining.

Too many repeat loops also sucks. One or two loops around a course is fine. Doing 5 loops over the same course is another thing that is mentally draining.

Gentle rolling hills are fine. It works different muscles and lets your body rest and work differently at different times, so that is fine. But very sharp or big inclines will cost you time.

Consider temperature. Ideally you want to race in the 40’s. June in North Dakota is better than June in Texas. But December in North Dakota…not so much.

If you have a question about the race, feel free to PM me and I’ll take a look at it.

+++++++++++++++++

I told you that you would not like this week. Do all of this and I will start feeding you workouts.

2 Likes

I had a feeling… but, okay. My pleasure.

But just to be clear— like get it all underway, and you’ll start feeding me workouts, or get it all done?

Start the book, give me the food log for a week, and pick a date and then we get busy.

In the mean time, run by feel. Have someone pick a speed on the treadmill for you, between 6 mph and 8 mph. Cover up the display on your treadmill with a towel and see if you can determine the pace without looking. Run at that pace for an RPE of 4-6, without looking at the distance. Get the GPS in your body and head tuned in. Know what every speed feels like.

1 Like

Aside unrelated to your awesome running prowess: What do people who work outside the home do for childcare when there isn’t school?

2 Likes

Some of them drop their kids off at my house. :roll_eyes:

I have no idea, @TravelingOn, but it’s raining outside tonight, and below 50… and we’re all nervous. :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

Ordering the book now and printing some logs. On it.

I don’t trust any of these people like that…: especially the little, sweet ones. If I tell them 6-8, they’ll put me on 11. My mom will put me on 2. Going to need someone I can trust more, like a stranger.

So run until it no longer feels like a 4-6? As soon as it feels harder, then stop??

In the fall… mid-late fall maybe. I’ll go do some looking now. :heart:

2 Likes

Did you know that if you got the iFit module for your treadmill, I could program your workouts for you?

That might not work for a 6 mph speed. You’d be on there all day.
:smiley:

But something like that would be fine for 7-8 mph or so. But you need to have a time limit.

1 Like

I hide mine under my desk…pray that my husband’s shift ends on time and sneak them out to the parking lot so he can take them to either delayed start school or take them home with him.

1 Like