DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

I’m good. Mostly just happy. :slight_smile:

The Tuesday 400m’s:

• Number of reps you completed?
  • Your split times?
  • RPE?

How close were we to having the right target pace and amount of work? This is an adjustment week to check things out and get it all dialed in for you. Did you have a BG spike from the work? It would not be surprising if you did.

1 Like

Okay… so I’ll just tell you these things first… even though you specifically didn’t ask for them.

1. It was HOT outside. “Felt like” 97. This didn’t help.

2. I’ve pushed pretty hard for about the last 3 or 4 days going into yesterday. So I was going into a hard day a little worn. This didn’t help.

3. The track went on and on forever… like I was an ant. And this didn’t help. :grin:

And now for what you DID ask for:

1. I completed 7 of the 8 and got half of the last before I was just done. However, I walked everything past the fourth recovery 200. (So I walked four of the recoveries— but a brisk walk).

2. I made 6 of them at 1:52. The seventh was at 2:00. I seriously couldn’t take one more step on the eighth and may have been on pace for like a 9 min 400 anyway, so I don’t know about that one. I did walk that recovery and managed to slog around the track for a one mile cool down, which my legs and brain protested with every step.

3. RPE… so… first 3 were at that 7-8 you mentioned. From the get go, they were hard. That’s why I laid out the excuses the way I did in the beginning—because they felt like wind sprints, and I was surprised and instantly humbled. Next three felt like death. Don’t know how that would translate on your scale. 7th also felt like death and was accomplished on sheer determination that I was not going to quit. 8th, like death, and then I quit.

I also started out a little lower than ideal with a BG of 90. And that was after a 60 min ZB, 15 extra carbs about 30 minutes before starting plus another 15… my sensor was reading about an 80-85 most of the workout (could’ve been lower) until I lost my reading because I forgot to calibrate before starting. When I returned to the car, I was at 40. So that was not helpful either.

I can’t tell you whether or not the late evening spike was from the workout or from the cookies. It wasn’t an unreasonable rise though for a very reasonable amount of cookies. I did spend the entire night low and am fighting lows this morning. But the rest of me, surprisingly, is fully intact.

1 Like

Okay, good stuff.

We will ease up on your speed paces and interval paces.

There are useful things here:

Easy days need to be easy for a reason.
:wink:

Yep, that makes it much more difficult.

Okay, 7-8 is what we want. Not death. So it’s all useful info. We will ease it up.

Today is an off day for a reason!

On Thursday, let’s do this instead. A bit of a change to the original one, note the new pace.

Thursday, July 12, Tempo intervals
2 x 1.5 miles at 8:30-8:40 pace - this does not need to be on a track but it should be on relatively flat ground, not on a big hill.
0.5 mile recovery jog after each one

What we are looking for is “tough, but doable”.

1 Like

Great job, Nicky!! I’ve been reading avidly but Eric knows more than me (especially re pumping) and is being an awesome coach. Also, I don’t tend to drop as dramatically as most here seem to while running (and no pump) so no real advice there either.

4 Likes

Hello. And thank you. :smiley: It ain’t pretty, but so far at least ONE of the three days has gone well, and that’s really something. (It was the rest day).

I read just enough of your running thread to see very quickly that I was out of my league and almost went with “DN’s Dancing Thread” but figured Eric can’t dance and probably wouldn’t offer the same level of coaching. :smiley: And since he does seem to be a great coach, I’m looking forward to it. That was pretty stuffy… Really, I have no idea how I landed myself here, but this place is amazing, he is amazing, and I’m lucky as hell to have any of it at all. Hopefully it won’t all fall through cuz now there’s a LOT of pressure. :

2 Likes

Hi DN, thanks!

Couple questions on your off-day. How about the running shoes? Anything yet?

Quick pop-quiz:
You always have a banana after you finish. Anything else? A banana is fine, but it is missing something important. What are the 3 things you should have after every run?

(Hint: The answer can be found on FUD. Search for “What should I consume after exercise?”)

1 Like

fluids, carbs, and protein:
Fluids to replace what you lost.
Carbs to resupply the fuel tank your muscles used during your workout (muscle glycogen).
Protein to help your muscles recover, rebuild, and to fuel the muscle growth.[quote=“Eric, post:70, topic:4398”]

so then let me correct myself… I do drink 2-3 glasses of water in the hour after finishing. And I have been getting some protein within the hour, too. So then I am having s banana and immediately having water, protein directly following…

Next?

1 Like

Good to hear that you are doing the carbs, water, and protein.

I like whey protein powder mixed with milk, which is also a good source of protein. They make some gluten free whey protein mixes if you want to look for that.

Shoes?

1 Like

Shoes… okay. No, i haven’t gotten them yet, but… i should be able to do that this weekend.

Can’t believe my day off is already over…Oh! I have a random question for you… For about the last 5 or 6 days now, I seem to be having some kind of water retention issues?? Bloating? I don’t even know what to call it as I’ve never had it happen before. I can see it clearest in my lower legs, but it is visible everywhere. Do you have any idea what this could be from???

I don’t know for sure what is the cause in your case, but one possible reason is kind of counter-intuitive. Dehydration!

If you are not drinking enough, your body attempts to balance out and keep as much fluid as it can. Your body has hormones like aldosterone, which help regulate how much fluid your body has.

Just a possibility, if you are not drinking enough, your body may be trying to hold on to more fluid.

Don’t know for sure if that is what is happening with you. Pee test? Very pale yellow?

1 Like

I don’t know if you’re referring to a specific pee test, and I’m glad this conversation will go down in the pages of FUD history, but with just looking, all looks good? That’s a statement, not a question. Everything appears to be fine. And as far as hydration, I really I think I have that covered, but I’ll try to pay attention for the next couple of days. Anyway, it’s just a little odd.

Okay so today I’ll go back to the track again and give it another go. I’m looking forward to it. Oh, and I can’t remember if I answered you about the shoes… I answered some things last night in my sleep, so I’ll have to go back and see what I did. :grin: But I’ll get to the shoe store this weekend. What else??

1 Like

Yeah, the pee test is just a very UN-scientific thing runners do. If your pee is pale and not a bright yellow color, it can be somewhat of an indication that you are drinking enough.

But for your water retention issue, I don’t know if dehydration is the cause of the problem, but I want you to make sure you are drinking enough.

How many ounces per day of fluids are you getting?

1 Like

I’m guesstimating here… but maybe 120??

Okay.

Just wanted to mention it because I have seen you reference many times that you are running in 90 degree temps!

At some point, just for your own understanding of your body’s hydration needs after a run, you should do the sweat test. Do it on an LSD run some weekend. And keep in mind, it changes a lot with the weather.
figure-out-your-sweat-loss

1 Like

I’ll mark it on my calendar for this weekend. And tonight should be beautiful, so no concerns over that.

Thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

And I just made my appointment for the cardiologist for the 25th. And I do my nerve block tomorrow…

1 Like

:+1:

Much better today. Need to tend to family needs and then I’ll be back to tell you about it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Okay… So today I started with just an 800 warm up because I couldn’t find anywhere that you mentioned a mile warm up. So I did an 800 and then my first 1.5 mile run. I finished the first one in 12:44. I have not had a chance to figure out what that would be as an average, and my brain is too fried to try it now. I think it was okay and will just cross my fingers. The first mile felt good. The last half mile was work. And my belly hurt. Because I ate crowns for lunch which I knew was not a good idea. Anyway I did another 800 recovery, jogged not walked, and then ran the second 1.5 miles. This one was work from about 1/2 mile in, but I finished in 12:32. I wouldn’t say it felt easy… not at all, but there wasn’t a moment today where I felt like I couldn’t. And I liked that.

My blood sugar stuff completely sucked today, and that’s that. I was doing great all day and then was going to have a turkey sandwich with actual bread about 4 hours before the run. I prebolused a LOT because I wanted to make sure to get it all in. I normally would’ve gone with an extended bolus since I didn’t really need all that insulin up front, but the extended bolus would’ve left me with a bunch on board at the start of the run. So big prebolus then life did whatever it does and distracted me, and I didn’t get around to making the sandwich. Before I knew it, I was plummeting. That’s when the crowns happened. And the two apples. AND the turkey sandwich. And there was something else. And THAT’S how the bellyache happened. AND the rebound 281 at the start of the run. So I was high going in and came out of it at a 223. It took a couple of hours to get it back down…

What else?

And a mile cool down… you didn’t mention that either, I don’t think…