DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

I’m going to try them even though they have chia seeds. You’ve only led me to good stuff so far (except the pink watch), so I’ll try this. What’s the best flavor??

I was saving those for an emergency, but with your permission, I’ll try one out on my next big run. :heart:

I’m shooting for an afternoon run tomorrow. Will try to keep remember to keep the carbs coming through the run and dose generously at the end. It’ll be at the tail end of my Levemir.

I can see the appeal. There are good things happening over here. :heart:

Absolutely. Victory and success are pretty good teachers, too. Would love to give them all a chance to teach me a lesson. :grin:

1 Like

I like the apple. The thing is, they all taste different, but they all act the same was as carbs. So get the sampler pack, try all the flavors, and then buy the ones you like.

If you do that, make sure you replace it! One needs to be in your case for an emergency!

If you are on the tail end of it, you wont need as many carbs throughout. If you are on full Levemir, yes, do the carbs throughout. Just consider your basal amount when you are taking the carbs. Remember, you had more basal on Saturday than you did on your Monday run. Consider your Levemir dose time and use that as a factor in your carbing when you are running.

Week 4:
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Monday, 12/17
40-45 minute Easy Run
8:30-9:30 pace

Tuesday, 12/18
1/2 mile warmup @ 9:00-10:00 pace

Cutdowns:

• 1 mile @ 8:34 pace (7.0 mph)
  • 1 mile @ 8:13 pace (7.3 mph)
  • 1 mile @ 8:00 pace (7.5 mph)
  • 1 mile @ 7:41 pace (7.8 mph)

1/2 mile cooldown @ 9:00-10:00 pace

Wednesday, 12/19
Rest day, stretch and core only

Thursday, 12/20
1/2 mile warmup @ 9:00-10:00 pace

5 repeats:

• 1 minute @ 8:00 pace (7.5 mph)
  • 1 minute @ 7:30 pace (8.0 mph)
  • 1 minute @ 7:13 pace (8.3 mph)
  • 3 minute @ 10:00 pace (6.0 mph)

1/2 mile cooldown @ 9:00-10:00 pace

(total ~ 4.5 miles, including warmup and cooldown)

Friday, 12/21
25 minute Recovery Run
10:00 pace

Saturday, 12/22
60 minute Long Run
9:00-10:00 pace

Sunday, 12/23
Rest day, stretch and core only

Just trying to figure this one out— this one looks tough. You meant to do that in that order??

Yes.

You did 4.9 miles in 40 minutes last week. You can do this. Same thing.

I know this. I do. I was just making sure you hadn’t made a mistake. :smiley:

I did, didn’t I? :muscle:

Okay. I was planning on staying in bed this morning and feeling bad for myself for being a little sick, but I just flashed a muscle. I’m up, baby. I’m up.

1 Like

I had another great run today, but I botched the BG stuff a little. This was my own fault. I was approaching the entire thing too casually, and by the time I realized it, I was already at 200.

Anyway, so my starting BG was about a 205, and my ending was a 108. I ran on the treadmill, RPE about 6, and I did 5.3 miles in 45 minutes. I obviously did not need any carbs during my run even though I started at around 10:30 in the morning. I had crashed at about 9:30, had two Welch’s Fruit Snacks (which turn out to be 20 grams of carbs each—- I honestly didn’t know!), and then I settled down to work on a document for my Facebook group. I knew I would rebound, but in my mind it was going to be to the perfect starting BG. It wasn’t. Next time I’ll keep to the schedule and get other stuff done around it.

I know there was something else you wanted… Oh, I’ll start logging tomorrow.

There was still something else…:thinking:

Ask the running clinic guy about incline work and get a recommendation for a good doctor to look at your MRI.

Try to focus on having really good BG for the more significant runs (this week on Tuesday and Thursday, next week on Monday and Thursday). I need to see the cortisol spike happen. That let’s me know we are in the right zone.

1 Like

I did it. :smiley:

The run… nothing else on your To Do list— in case you got excited there for a second. :D. I’ll be back in a few to write about it, but I am very happy to have seen it, done it, and lived to tell the tale. This one had me worried. :smiley:

1 Like

Good evening. :smiley:

So here’s what I did today. First of all, I emailed the running guy to see about inclines. Very proud of myself. :smiley:

About the run… The run was great. The BG left a little to be desired. It was a — NUTHER tricky morning down at the little people factory. I volunteered from 8:30 until 11 and had 3 applesauces between 8:30 and 10:30 (plus a coffee on the way) and didn’t do any insulin for any of it. So to your point that I’m going to be needing less basal with my increased running, I’d say that’s what I’m seeing. Anyway, at 10:30, sitting at lunch with my son and still feeling shaky and low, I sprung for his yogurt. It was 20 grams of carbs, and I had a gut feeling it was overkill but wasn’t sure. I think it was. By the time I got home and ready to run, I was at a 165. That’s not bad, but, at this point, I hadn’t had insulin in hours, and I knew it was still rising. I managed to get on the treadmill by the time I hit a 168, but I was not surprised when, according to my Libre and Dexcom, I continued to rise almost the entire way through the workout. I finally turned at about 3.5 miles in, and I stepped off the treadmill at a 209. In truth, I don’t know that rise was entirely the yogurt. I was at 168 when I started running at almost 11:45 am. I had the yogurt at around 10:45. And I did push today on that run. It was the hardest I’ve run yet since all of the injury downtime stuff. However, with a sloppy blood sugar like that, I know it’s too hard to tell exactly what caused the rise, and I hope to go in calmer on Thursday.

Oh! I also got off to quite a start on my treadmill. :smiley: I’m smiling now, but it scared me so much I almost turned it off and went outside for the run. I was about 2 minutes into my warm up, running at about a 10 minute mile or whatever, and I was taking off my long sleeve shirt. I put it on the back of the treadmill and started to feel a little dizzy—- so subtle, but it was like i was all of a sudden very groggy. I thought maybe my blood sugar or maybe just got disoriented getting my shirt off. It was getting worse every second though, and I felt like I was going to fall off the back of the treadmill. Like I was running in mud! And couldn’t keep up! And I was literally scooting down the back of the treadmill and getting closer to the end. I looked up at the settings, and my incline was on 12!! So I held it down, of course, until it returned to flat again, but just as soon as I did, I realized the thing was starting to speed up! Again, it took me ALL THE WAY UP TO 12!! I thought I was going to fly off of it. I had to hold on while I tried to get to the buttons to slow it down. :rofl: Anyway, I think this whole thing lasted maybe a minute and a half or something, but it was startling. I was afraid to take my eyes off the screen the rest of the run. The rest, however, was uneventful and smooth. I finished my 1/2 mile warm up, ran the first mile at 7.0, second mile at 7.3, third at 7.5, and fourth mile at 7.8, then cooled down at a 9 minute mile. RPE was about 7.5– Though the last couple of minutes were maybe 8. Also, I’ve been continuing to check my cadence (and even find times it really starts to dip), and today it was between 92-97 at every check.

This is awesome stuff! And there is a lot of room on the top still. I knew you’d nail this one. Way to go, DN! :+1:

Great!

This one sounds like it was mostly food related. When you see a cortisol spike, you will know it. It is unmistakable, like a sudden 50-100 point jump in 2-3 miles.

Let’s see what happens on Thursday.

:open_mouth:
So what happened here?!? Just accidental button pushing? Be careful!

Today was great. Very happy with this. We’ll revisit it again soon. We will do this 3 times.

1. The first one is with fear.
  2. The second one is with quiet confidence.
  3. And the third time is total cockiness.
    :wink:
    Great job today!

:hugs:

I know the CGM stuff is silly stuff, but would it change anything if I told you my Libre and Dexcom showed a 285 and 260 respectively in the middle of the run? My Libre overshoots on a big rise, but between the two, I would be willing to bet I hit as high as a 275… and started at a 168. Does that change anything?? Or just worry about Thursday and trying to get a more even number at starting?

No! My machine did this all in its own! That was my point… and it did make me nervous. I’d make an Auto Mode joke, but it’s too obvious… and easy. :grin:

:heart: I could do that again. Twice. It was hard but not impossible and uncomfortable but not unbearable. I might even get to looking forward to it as I get closer. :slightly_smiling_face:

I can’t brlieve this, but I’m falling asleep. Need to get out of here before I start writing silly things…:grimacing:

I’ll be back after nap time. :hugs:

I know there are built-in workouts on those machines. You gotta make sure you are starting it with a manual start button, not a built-in workout. I think you accidentally started a built-in workout.

I think it was the “Kill Nicky” workout. :open_mouth:

Seriously, start it in manual mode, not one of the pre-set ones.

Ideally, you can get your iFit account setup and let me program the workouts for you. I won’t surprise you with anything.

Maybe it was a cortisol spike.

But to know for sure, I want you to start level and at a good number, like around 100 or less. Eat nothing so there is no mistaking the spike, and when you finish I want to see you at 150+.

That will be a definite sign that we are working you hard enough.

TSH and T4 blood tests, please!

I started manual— and I can’t access those workouts because I haven’t gotten my account set up yet. It was just the treadmill. It just, at random, went to the highest incline and then the fastest speed. It’s okay. It’s already a fading memory— until it pulls that nonsense again. :thinking:

New endo, please. I need to start that process, too. If I want the tests, I’m going to need a new doc. My current one already turned me down. :roll_eyes: But justifiably so. You really gotta watch people and their TSH and T4 test requests. Before you know it, they’re just gonna be camped out in front of labs trying to get their fix. :woman_facepalming:

Tomorrow. I’m gonna see if I can’t nail that starting BG a little better. I’m looking forward to the run. :heart:

1 Like

Lots of endos in your state. Let me know when you have tried them all.

Just ask up front. When you go in, “I want a TSH and T4 to check my thyroid level…”

Do the iFit thing. Then it is just a matter of downloading the run that I have programmed for you each day. Very easy.

Thursday will be fun, I promise!

It was. :smiley:

It was also very interesting and full of mystery and a whole bunch of numbers that continue to be unclear. The run though… that was excellent.

Starting BG: 138. Ending BG: 140. That part looks like there’s no mystery at all, but there is, according to my Libre. My Libre showed me starting at a 160 and then, all of a sudden, spiking 3 miles in. It showed me at a 214. When I got off the treadmill and tested, it was still at a 196, and I expected to see a BG of maybe 185 or so (thinking that would be that… muscle… glygocen-o-whatever that you mentioned). My finger stick, however, was 140. My Libre seems to be really good about tracking the rise and fall, but I honestly don’t know if it ever even happened. So that’s the mystery.

I was impressed with the workout only because I thought you had made a mistake— and meant 1/4 mile @ 8.0. I didn’t think your stuff was going to add up. Anyway, I figured I would do half of it, and if it looked like it was going to be really short in distance, I’d make up for it. It was 4.5 miles almost on the nose. Impressive :sunglasses:. So I did it as you gave it. I did a half mile warm up, repeated 1 min @ 7.5, 1 min @ 8.0, and 1 min @ 8.3 five times, and then did a half mile cool down. RPE was maybe 6-7 for the first 3 sets and then 7 for the last 2. This workout actually felt much easier than Tuesday’s because of how it was broken up. My brain hates monotony, and one mile at the exact same pace is torturous. Today was fun. :smiley:

Now about my nighttime basal… do I need to adjust anything?? I did 7 instead of 8 for my afternoon dose and did 17 instead of 19 this morning. I did stay a little higher all morning as a result, but it wasn’t problematic.

1 Like

Almost like I calculated it before I gave it to you. :grinning:

Let’s say you cut back for only 24 hours after your glycogen depleting hard workouts. So that would have been Tuesday to Wednesday evening. That looks like it fits better.

Today was not too terribly depleting. You can cut back a little basal tonight. Eat a dinner with some substance to it and you won’t have the same problem you did Tuesday night.

Keep in mind, today was only about 15 total minutes of hard running. So it is not even close to what you did on Tuesday as far as changing your insulin needs.

Great job today!

You gave me intervals in minutes with mileage as a total. Because of the frequent mistakes you are known for making, I assumed it was a type-o. The good news is I wasn’t going to last long doing what I thought you meant. :grin:

And I thought it felt easier because I was just that tough. But, no, it seems it felt that much easier because it was “not even close” to Tuesday. :woman_facepalming: What’s happening next Tuesday?? Just out of curiosity??

1 Like

Do you know who my favorite mistake is?
:kissing_heart:

Still a tough run. But what I am saying is that in terms of burning up all your muscle glycogen, this one was not close in terms of insulin needs. It was two very different workouts - speed versus lactate threshold. Both are hard but the Tuesday one just changes your insulin needs more than this one.

Tuesday is an easy recovery day.

Remember, next week you start working on Mondays and Thursdays.
:grinning:

I forgot about your last comment… about your favorite mistake. Just saw that. :smiley: That’s okay. I’ll still take it. I’m willing to be your mistake as long as I’m your favorite. :smiley:

I’ve been sick since last week, but today was much better, AND today was Christmas, so I put on my new running pants, grabbed my new GU gel things, and jumped on the treadmill. It was a casual run, so I won’t bother with details, but I’ll say I went for 5 miles, nice and slowly, and did pretty well with my BG. I even, having just synced the HR monitor the other day, wore my Garmin for the first time today and got a look at my heart rate. (Thank you, @Michel, for the reminder). It also looked pretty good. I’m not sure if I still need to take it easy tomorrow, but I’ll wait to hear back before I head over for a run. I think tomorrow is a hard day… :smiley: I actually don’t know what day of the week it is, so I’ll definitely wait to hear back. :smiley:

Hope this Christmas was a good one and that you enjoyed your goose. :smiley:

1 Like