DM's new basal and IC numbers

65% was too much, so now I am on 60%. We’ll c how that goes. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

@Eric, thank you so much for taking the time to help me with my basal rates. there are so many changes going on in my life right now that I wouldn’t even know where to tell the FUD Community to begin with.

suffice it to say that most of my problems have been related to my Gastropareses and intestinal disorders, which are due to a combination of long term D as well as the psych meds that I take. so after months of battling with the GI problems, they resolved themselves ( a lot of hard work, and a lot of antibiotics, but YAY!!! ) and then a few changes in my schizophrenia medications which cause elevated BGs as well as intestinal disorders. Oy Vay.

so, since I have been titrating off of some of the psych meds, my need for insulin has come down faster than I can scream “Apple Juice!!!” but I have been running my days and nights on TBs instead of changing my basal profiles on my pump. so your help is outstanding.

also, I want to put in a plug for 2 other things that I believe are contributing to my IS: I started, about 2 months ago, taking large doses of turmeric for my arthritis and ALA for my inflammation (swimming etc.) I have ALSO noticed that these two herbs have significantly impacted my IS. so its a whole mess of “meds” but the bottom line is that my need for insulin is becoming so small that I am thinking I am on my way to being completely cured :rofl:

DM

PS: I hope that this info can help someone else!( should you have any questions, don’t be shy: post them!!!

3 Likes

That all looks great! OK I have a pump rookie question: How exactly to do a dual bolus? For example for 2 slices of pizza I would normally (on MDI) use my normal bolus (I figure 60 g carbs and 8-9 units Fiasp) and follow it up about a half hour after eating with a second bolus of about 3 or 4 units. Sometimes that worked OK sometimes not.

I have been using the Extended bolus with Omnipod but have not learned what bolus amounts or how long to extend for Dual bolus. I will be traveling for a few weeks with lots of opportunities to eat foods requiring a Dual bolus. Basic question is: To copy how I did it on MDI, but with pump, would I bolus 12 but extend 33%?

2 Likes

First of all, I think it is MUCH easier to have extended bolus setup for units rather than percentage.

This is a personal choice, and I know there are others who do it with percentage. But for me, coming from MDI, I think it is easier to just mentally process as units instead of percentage.

So I would suggest setting that on your PDM - units not percentage - if it isn’t already.

To do the same thing you were doing with MDI, you can either extend it (which won’t be the exact same for timing), or just do a second bolus. The problem with the second bolus is if you forget to do it!!

If you do it extended under the same scenario you described above, you can do an 11-13 unit bolus, 8-9 units now, and extend the rest either 30 minutes or 1 hour.

Here is how it would look on your PDM. Just did an example following your scenario.

The trick will be that you can either extend 30 minutes or 1 hour (or any increment of 30 minutes). This just takes trial and error to get it figured out.

(Note that mine is in UNITS!!)

2 Likes

Thanks a bunch…will be trying this on numerous tacos and burritos in the SW for a while! So far I’m pretty comfortable with using the % setting rather than units, mainly for temp basals. Still a work in progress but now I have the “dual bolus” lingo part…Thanks!

2 Likes

Keep in mind, you can do the temp basal as % and extended bolus as units, or vice versa. You don’t need to have them both the same.

I do temp basal as % also, because that allows the temp basal to change and follow your basal profile, rather than being locked into a certain number.

1 Like

If for some reason a person does want to do a second bolus, rather than use the extended bolus, the PDM has a built-in alarm. Whenever you deliver a bolus, it asks “Schedule a BG reminder?” and you can select a time in half-hour increments. So you can set the alarm by doing a 0.05U bolus, then deliver your second meal bolus when the alarm goes.

This is on Canadian PDMs, anyway. Maybe they’re different in the US.

ETA: I’ve actually used my PDM as an alarm clock when I’ve been stranded without one.

3 Likes

That is a good idea.

Yes, the U.S. version of the PDM has that also.

@daisymae
On the phone and on PM you mentioned new basal numbers. Here is your basal thread.

Do you want to put some new numbers together?

2 Likes

Yes. I definitely need to put some new numbers together.

Since the pandemic began, I have not been able to swim. I also believe that I had a mild case of COVID-19 bc I had to turn my basals WAY UP for about 2.5 weeks (around 140% )( I had a sore throat and swollen glands and aches.) So without my swimming, I increased my basal rates to compensate, and then on top of that I raised my “normal” basal profile.

Then I began this new adventure of exercising again: speed walking with intermittent jogging (with the goal of running regularly) basically, I doubt that my pool is going to open anytime soon!. U will c how dramatically different my basal profile is from my previous ones.

here r my current pump basal settings:

12am .5
2am .575
4am .725
6am .875
8am .85
2pm .825
5pm .725
8pm .875
10pm .975

and in order to now compensate for my new exercise routine, I have had to (lower) do a temp basal of 80% every day. and when I am exercising, I must lower the TB even more for a short period. (I usually exercise 2hours at a time.)

also, before exercising again, I had to change all of my ICRs, which r now back to their previous settings.

breakfast: 5.2
lunch and all afternoon: 1:12
dinner and evening: 1:14

this has been working wonderfully

anyway, that all being said, I am going out today on a 67% TB ( just a guess to start from) 1.5 hours before I leave the house. if I need to take some carbs before I leave the house, I will have some Wheat Thins.

I will report the results on my other thread:

“From Swimming to Running; Adjusting to the Pandemic” ( if anyone cares to check it out , which I hope they do!! :crossed_fingers: :running_woman: :wink:

so there it is! been playing “catch-up” this this entire pandemic began. just trying to keep on top of things. don’t want my stelar A1c to get wild and crazy. :wink:

and once again: THANK YOU ERIC!!!

2 Likes

DM, how do you want your numbers? Do you want the ones above to be your “normal”, and then a lower one at 80% and a higher one at like 110%?

Like this would be “normal”?

And then we can build some higher and lower profiles based on those :arrow_up: numbers?

Also, how many basal profiles can you make on your pump?

1 Like

Eric, I have room for 3 profiles on my pump. the 1st one is for the standard (regular) basal rates, the 2nd one would b for a slightly higher basal rate (like105%) and the 3rd one would b for a slightly lower basal rate (like 95%)
so:
1)regular
2)higher (by + .025u/h )
3)lower. (by -.025 u/h)

so the basal rates that I posted above need to b lowered so that they r 80% of what they r now. Make sense?

Also, I wanted u to know that my pump will only go up or down by .025 increments.

Are the ones you posted above what you want to be your “normal” to be?

Those are pretty dinky little changes. Are you sure you don’t want something a little more significant? Like 85% and 115%?

1 Like

No. I want my standard profile to be 80% of those numbers. I have been using those numbers as my “pandemic standard,” and now I have having to set a TB at 80% every day.

Yes, they may seem so, but I am extremely sensitive to minor changes, and that works very well for me. Nothing dramatic is necessary.

Is this what you meant? The Normal is 80% of the numbers above.

Normal 95% 105%
Time Units/Hr Time Units/Hr Time Units/Hr
12:00 AM 0.400 12:00 AM 0.375 12:00 AM 0.425
2:00 AM 0.450 2:00 AM 0.425 2:00 AM 0.475
4:00 AM 0.575 4:00 AM 0.550 4:00 AM 0.600
6:00 AM 0.700 6:00 AM 0.675 6:00 AM 0.725
8:00 AM 0.675 8:00 AM 0.650 8:00 AM 0.700
2:00 PM 0.650 2:00 PM 0.625 2:00 PM 0.675
5:00 PM 0.575 5:00 PM 0.550 5:00 PM 0.600
8:00 PM 0.700 8:00 PM 0.675 8:00 PM 0.725
10:00 PM 0.775 10:00 PM 0.725 10:00 PM 0.825
2 Likes

YES!! This is exactly what I was hoping for. Ur an absolute angel.Npw I’m going to reset my pump.

Yahoo!

Thank you thank you thank you :+1:

1 Like