Discussion of Tandem's recently released Basal-IQ function

This is the dexcom graph of the time period in the pic above.

3 Likes

Wow, just wow!

Are you achieving that by being more aggressive than normal with your basal settings? If so, that is exactly what I want to do once we start the G6!

1 Like

@Chris Thatā€™s the amazing thing! After months of jumping through the 670 automode achievable hoops with no success. This was basically doing it on itā€™s own. I am very insulin/carb sensitive and without constant monitoring my graphs look like sharp zig zags with lots of lows, With work I can level them out. I wanted to relieve some of that burden and this does just that. My settings are pretty spot on so I only lowered my basal as you can see in the early morning. It does what I thought the 670 was suppose to do by what they referred to as ā€œlearning meā€. Well ā€¦ it never learned me. haha I put the new sensor on - no calibrations - and let it work. It knew just when to suspend and when to stop. The pic here shows how much it needed to work on one day while I stayed pretty much in my target range 75-160 with no lows

or rebound spikes.

3 Likes

Here is the pump graph of same time

1 Like

We are going to be able to get on the upgrade sooner. I forgot that the sensor order is 84 days. I was thinking 90. DUH !!!
:stuck_out_tongue:

Also we can order 5 days in advance so can place the order 79 days after our last order.

Dexcom is going to throw a single free G6 transmitter in the order. Mighty nice of them !!!

Our last order was 3 days prior to Tandem making the announcement of the FDA approval of the Basal-IQ and G6. I had not expected the G6 integration until November so that really caught me off guard. So I had reordered G5 sensors and transmitters in June because I thought the Basal-IQ update would initially only work with the G5.

Anyway. Long story.

End of the day, we will be shortly on the G6. (Able to place the G6 order in 2 weeks.)

We have received the email from Tandem that the prescription went through so will be doing the web training tonight and then do the Tandem update.

Also in terms of the G6, they mentioned that in order to be eligible from an insurance point of view, the warranty on the Dexcom Receiver had to be up. I told them we already had the new touchscreen receiver so really did not need another one and that it was my expectation that we could remotely update the touchscreen to work with the G6. The Dex Rep confirmed that was true and that he agreed we did not require another receiver. Plus the receiver will mostly be sitting on a shelf as we will be running the G6 integrated with the pump.

Very excited. I have been waiting for this ever since we first went on the Tandem.

EDIT: I will test the G5 integrated with the new update. I have no doubts it will not work. Which is what Tandem Customer Support says. But I plan to see it for myself anyway. No reason not to.

3 Likes

Awesome !!!

2 Likes

Itā€™s like hearing all of your friends talking excitedly about the camp theyā€™re all getting ready for next weekendā€¦ that youā€™re not attendingā€¦ :two_hearts::thinking::neutral_face::face_with_raised_eyebrow::hugs::heart_eyes::angry::sob::two_hearts::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::cry::kissing_heart::kissing_heart:

Those are all of my feelings right nowā€¦

But MOsTLY itā€™s all :slightly_smiling_face::two_hearts::kissing_heart::two_hearts:

Mostlyā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™m excited for you!! I was going to use my G5 supplies up but couldnā€™t wait! Did you get the download code yet?

:rofl: lots of feels there Nicky! Come on over when you can upgrade. Control IQ is going to be incredible!!

The title of this article is confusing. I posted it because it explains the Control IQ system.

3 Likes

Yes. Pump is now upgraded. I plan to place a G6 order in about 1-1/2 weeks.

EDIT: The online training is divided into two modules. The first module revolves around the Basal-IQ/PLGS functionality. The second module revolves around the cgm. My T1 was mocking the second half of the training. It was pretty funny. But the first portion regarding the Basal-IQ was good.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s great youā€™ve got the hard part over and ready to go on your own time. All the best. I look forward to hearing how it goes for you. Do you extend your G5 sensors? Iā€™ve had really good luck with not losing connection and Iā€™m on day 9 with accuracy still as good as it could get and not one calibration. There is a way to extend G6 past 10 days if you are interested. Iā€™m going to follow the rules for the first few.

We have always extended the sensors. Until recently. Now we barely get 7 days. But as we are about to switch to the G6, I figured not worth the trouble to try and figure it out.

I assume we will extend the G6 at least until we get an idea of how long they would last for us. Then depending on how much extra time we may or may not do so going forward.

1 Like

Thatā€™s my plan too. I have enough to focus on and donā€™t want to add to variables. Iā€™ll be happy with 10 days.

2 Likes

Thank you for the link, @Jattzl! I hope it was for everybody because Iā€™ve signed myself up for every possible thing I could sign up for! Next up is to drive to their location and bring chocolatesā€¦

2 Likes

Yes! @Nickyghaleb They were for everyone and anyone! They are an overall good explanation of both systems Basal IQ and Control IQ in case someone is looking into it. Chocolates are always appreciated!!! chocolate chips especially. Since I know you always have them on hand :wink::yum:

1 Like

About to have one or two or 68 right nowā€¦:grin:

1 Like

19F4DEC0-E093-4F20-B319-1BBBCB630CA9

The best part about this smooth line (one of many) is after living with the 670 for 6months while it consumed my time and life with 40-340 bg is that I donā€™t do anything. No alarms, no calibrations. For 1 1-2 hours it kept me at 80. This is the 10th day of first sensor. Accuracy is still near perfect.

2 Likes

That is really exciting @Jattzl, we are looking forward to getting this going after we finish off the latest transmitter and get the G6ā€™s in house.

Your results are really amazing and motivating!

1 Like

Hi @Chris @Eric I would encourage you to give it a try in the day. I still micromanage due to extreme carb and insulin sensitivity along with advanced gastroparesis and absorption issues. This system only enhances micromanaging. I have no alarms from my pump unless I choose to. I use my phone for alarms.