Discussion of Tandem's recently released Basal-IQ function

Yeah. Not so happy with that. Obvious weak link in the system. Rumor is that Tandem and/or Dexcom recognized this as a problem and slightly increased the BLE power for one or the other of the systems (X2 or G6). Time will tell.
The Tandem does have this contingency planned for. I can’t find it in the manual now. I wanted to quote it so I don’t get it wrong. But from memory, if the X2 looses connection with the G6 after the Basal-IQ has suspended insulin delivery then after 15 or 20 minutes of being disconnected, the Basal-IQ will resume insulin delivery. I think. Aggravated that I couldn’t find the exact quote in the manual.

Same.

The shutoff can be much higher. Two conditions. One condition is 70 (or lower) “now”. The other condition more likely to occur is predicted below 80 within 30 minutes. So you could be at 140 but prediction has below 80 in 30 minutes so basal shuts off.

During day - yes. During night - I think that is a common complaint of the Medtronic folk being woken up with alerts for something they have no need to do anything about. It would be nice to have a schedule timer with the alerts to have the alerts audible during daytime hours and silent for sleeping hours. However (I am sure) based on the Medtronic customer response and how (apparently) difficult it is to use and understand, Tandem went to great lengths to make this as absolutely simple as possible.

This will make it work for the vast majority of the Tandem population. But for somebody like Eric, there just will not be enough controls and options to be able to fine tune it. This would drive you crazy.

With the Tandem is just a couple taps to turn the Basal-IQ on or off. Trivial. Within 15 minutes, the Basal-IQ has the data it needs to potentially be suspending insulin.

4 Likes