Discussion of Covid-19 Pneumonia and Diabetics

Again, the type of pneumonia with COVID-19 isn’t prevented by any vaccines, until they develop one specifically for COVID-19. Vaccines for bacterial pneumonia will not help prevent this virus from causing damage. Still probably a good idea to get them to prevent bacterial pneumonia too (which in theory could happen as an additional infection), but that’s not what is disabling and killing people in this case. What develops is called bilateral interstitial pneumonia, and with COVID-19, it occurs because once the virus infects lung tissue, the immune system reacts to fight it, and the result inflames and damages the lungs, preventing them from being able to absorb oxygen adequately. It is not bacterial in nature.

I was supposed to fly to a conference in early April, and while the conference has not been canceled yet (word is it will be in the next few days), my university suspended all sponsored travel (like many others), all large meetings/grand rounds/etc, and I am waiting any day now for classes to shift to online-only. I’m bummed because, in addition to giving a talk, I was actually due to receive an award at this conference and was really excited about it. My biggest concerns right now though are for the place I do clinical work in, because if we have to suspend services, it leaves a lot of youth without a safe space and needed access to food/toiletries/other basic needs. Same thing if schools close—lots of homeless kids rely on them for meals, showers etc.

8 Likes