"Diabetes Care from Parent to Child: Passing the Torch of Care" by Kerri Sparling

3 Likes

That is a nice article. Thanks for posting. It made me rethink things around my son’s doctors appointments.

3 Likes

Great article! Kudos to your parents and to you for taking on the responsibility! My story was much different and I don’t blame anyone. When I was diagnosed long before the great technology I spent 2 months in the hospital learning how to give injections in an orange. Once released I was on my own. Checking blood sugar was done in test tube with a pill and urine. Not very accurate at the time and I hated it. Needless to say other than taking my injection faithfully and watching my diet I did nothing. Did not see an endocrinologist until I became pregnant with first child.They did not check A1C at the time. Fortunately I was blessed with 2 healthy pregnancies. My children are only 15 months apart.
I had a brother 5years younger that was brain damaged during birth so my Mom had a full plate. Diabetes scared her and she never gave me an injection. I have become obsessed in my older age with all of the technology and feel very blessed to be as healthy as I am in spite of my story!
Thank you for sharing and I am thrilled that parents today have the technology and information to be of great help to their children!!!

2 Likes