Diabetes and dry skin?

@TiaG - I’ve been on immunosuppressants for 11 years and they haven’t impacted my skin one way or another.

Living where I do (low relative humidity) most people here get dry skin in the winter. That’s the only time I’d use cream on my skin and the heels of my feet (which do crack in bleed if the winter is longer and colder than usual).

Cream of choice for cracked feet is Gehwol (made in Germany)

Gehwol

4 Likes

Hi @Dc53705, somehow that link isn’t working, perhaps the url is wrong?

I’m definitely all in for something that actually changes the way the skin operates.

1 Like

I’ve been on immunosuppressants for 20+ years. They’ve helped my skin and joints, unless I’m having a flare - which I currently am.

There are so many on the market today, it undoubetedly matters which one (immunosuppressant) you are on. Some that I’ve tried had no effect on my skin or joints.

I’m not sure how different immunosuppresants are between treating an autoimmunity or treating a transplant or cancer patient. I imagine just like the differences between what works for one disease and not for another would be the same for what works for one transplant or cancer patient doesn’t work for the other.

I’m thinking we can’t lump them all into one category. Though, I could be wrong.

Thanks for the suggestion of the “GEHWOL” cream! I’ll have to order some.

3 Likes

Try this one:

1 Like

the immunosuppressants used by people with a beta cell transplant are much more broad, quieting the entire immune system, I would imagine, versus the ones that are targeting a specific disease (those are usually monoclonal antibody based treatments that target just a specific factor implicated in the disease process.).

2 Likes

I get dry skin on my heels. My mom (who does not have diabetes) gets the same thing so I do not think it is related to diabetes.

I do not have any other dry-skin problems but I sometimes get a bit of eczema on my chest during allergy season (like right now).

I find that urea based creams fix this problem when I get cracking dryness 100%. The one I use has 25% urea.

For foot maintenance, I have used salve made of olive oil and calendula. I think the oil is the main thing that helps the feet from drying and cracking. Oil is messy but it works.

4 Likes

Here’s one I like for overnight use:

3 Likes

Not sure how I messed the link up, but the one shared by @Tapestry is the one I was trying to post. Thanks!

1 Like

It was the CY at the end, I just edited it off, and it works fine.

Love all the suggestions!
Wanted to add in a bit about water…I treat water like a medicine and drink two full glasses upon waking…as we dehydrate while sleeping.
Then, I drink it through out the day.
My point is I see and know water to be critical for me as insulin is…it hydrates and gets your organs softer and more receptive and bunches of other things that I can’t recall or don’t know.
So discovering the effects of water really helped me be more on top of my intake.
I was thinking this may help your son…knowing that the water is super important and not always about thirst.
Hope this helps!

4 Likes

I have read that dry skin can be a side effect of diabetes. I had a lot if dryness and itching on my legs and arms. I use LubriDerm and it has solved my problem. I buy that product in my grocery store.

2 Likes

Likely autoimmune, dietary intolerance/allergy, potentially thyroid, and/or Vitamin A related. We process Vitamin A differently then non-diabetics.

Eggs/butter are a good source of Vitamin A for kids and help my skin stay in good shape along with other healthy fatty foods. Vitamin E also good for skin with food sources like nuts safest for kids.

Minimizing autoimmune things like wheat/gluten and depending on person dairy can help.

If I eat wheat I get noticeable joint pain etc.

2 Likes

I would say increase good oils in the diet. Take fish oil and vit E together(to prevent lipid peroxidation). I use Rosita cod liver oil. And try reading a book about healing the gut. As a type 1d I was also was diagnosed w hashimotos and reversed it. (Took almost 3yrs of strict diet and detox) But. I realized through the process that as I healed my gut. My skin completely changed and became amazing compared to how it was before.

1 Like

Dry skin can be a symptom of chronically high blood sugar. What does the endocrinologists say?

After reading your post, I ordered some for my youngest who has crazy dry cracked skin on the back of each hand…and now it’s cleared up. Thank you!

2 Likes

I’m glad it’s helping :slight_smile:

I’ve been surprised by how big of a difference that small change made.

2 Likes

So many soaps have harsh ingredients and fragrance/perfume in them (which can mean anything and can be a way to hide all sorts of nasty stuff manufacturers don’t want to explicitly list). My partner is super fragrance sensitive so when she moved in, I had to get rid of my soaps etc with those ingredients (like Mrs Meyers, which despite marketing as a natural company, definitely is not) and switch to products that only use ingredients like essential oils for fragrance, if anything (we like the Everyone for Everybody soap line, but Dr. Bronners works too). My hands definitely became a lot less dry in the process. The one downside is that now when someone has more typical products around, they now smell unbearably strong on my hands.

1 Like