Dexcom G6 Sensor Issues

Just wait until the skin issues become terribly uncomfortable and an eyesore to look at. I call them, write them, try everything…but no luck getting to anyone that can help. They have a nice technology, but they are an awful company!! As soon as there is credible competition, I am gone as a Dexcom customer.

Care to elaborate on this?

tenor

1 Like

Some people are indeed having reactions to all of the CGM’s on the market that are adhered to the skin. In order to get a reasonable number to last 10 days, they all have made some changes to the adhesive that some people are allergic to. If you are one of the unlucky ones there is things that can be done i.e. spray topical steroid on the site, use barrier creams, use barrier films, or all of the above to stop the rash from the adhesive. This is well known and discussed here and other places. Steven3 is apparently pretty sour about it, which happens. Diabetes is no fun. But the second post where it looks like (he may not be) shilling for a diabetes company is a bit frustrating. There are plenty of places to view what the allergy looks like that are non-commercial.

5 Likes

Somebody joins FUD and pretty much reads and posts nothing. And then their very first post is to bash Dexcom for irritating their skin.

But don’t worry, there is good news! On their second post they give the name of a website that sells… CGM adhesives.

tenor

Sorry everyone, I just wanted to explain my smartass reply.

6 Likes

Valid points are valid. :woman_shrugging: :laughing:

2 Likes

I don’t let the haters stop me from doin my thang! Hoping I don’t get the rash, but at least I’ll know it’s normal now if I get it. :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Hi, I’m T1 since last October at 44yrs old.i was battling on without knowing until I lost 15kg in 4wks despite enhancing my diet to increase my energy levels but obviously that didn’t work.after a week in hospital and my new T1 unwanted gift I began learning to manage it.since then I’ve been kitted out with the g6 sensor and use my bluejay watch and phone mostly problem free.the watch is stand alone so I’m not replying on my phone.
I used to put the sensor on my upper arm but changed after I toned up and had issues with the sensor sticking into muscle and giving bad readings, losing signal not to mention being sore.i now put it just above my hip but below my rib and slightly forward in that little dip before the abb.i find this spot great,very rarely get pressure lows in bed and the sticky normally lasts the ten days but I have the bottle of skin adhesive just incase.sometimes I feel a reaction to the sensor glue but try not to scratch so rub instead until I can get an ice cube on it which works a treat :relieved:
I always use the QR code for new sensors and have very rarely had to calibrate,never since the new location.anyway sorry for rambling on but I thought some of this might help,it’s my first post so hope it helps in some way😁

7 Likes

That was helpful ty! Honored to get your first post haha. I too put my sensor in that general area, and aside from having to be cautious how I bend for things, it is a pretty prime spot. So I’ll have to agree with you there.

Completely unrelated, I’m growing a little weary about my future with the G6. I got a call from the DME pharmacy that’s handling my coverage - and they informed me today that even with a PA Optum will not cover my sensors. They are now working on getting it covered through my medical, I’ll know in about a week or so… Just in time for my only sensor to end. Hoping for a last minute save. Even if it’s not covered, a libre will do. Though I hear they’re not as elaborate as the G6. I was told by my doctor today that being I’m type 1.5 means the insurance doesn’t understand enough about me to cover these items… Which to me just sounds like bullsh*t and all too convenient for them. Their pockets get fat while mine bleed.

4 Likes

If you have an absolute insulin deficiency of autoimmune origin, that is by definition Type 1 diabetes. There’s no reason to let an insurance company be confused by a diagnosis of “type 1.5.” If you actually are type 1, that’s what should appear on all insurance documents to make it easier for the insurance company to do the right thing.

5 Likes

Just have your Dr code everything as Type 1 and most barriers will disappear. If they code you Type 2 or unspecified, you will fight for absolutely everything except metformin and glyburide/glypizide.

7 Likes

I will try to get a hold of my Endo asap. Tbh I agree with @bkh it shouldn’t matter what I’m classified under, I absolutely need the items my drs are trying to bill for. I’m so tired of being treated like I’m fine and don’t require necessary tools to be healthier. Being minimized by insurance, by people around me… It’s starting to get on my nerves.

3 Likes

:heavy_plus_sign: :one:

What @elver said!

The 1.5 thing really sucks. It’s just a freaking barrier. And it’s just a dumb description - like I am past a 2, but not quite a 1 yet?!?

4 Likes

Just another way insurance can d*CK around with what they want to cover.

1 Like

That sounds like a crap excuse for them to avoid paying for your g6.my friend is a great believer in using Twitter and other platforms when he’s having trouble with big companies like banks and car insurer’s etc.he goes onto their social media site and relays to their customers how badly he is being treated and what a bad service they provided,it doesn’t take long before he’s contacted by a more sympathetic representative.worked for me once too.its worth a go.
Didn’t one of the earlier poster’s mention they might have a spare sensor or two?it might be a temporary solution for you until things hopefully get sorted out.
Here in Ireland I was put on the long term illness benefit scheme which provides everything I need for my T1 luckily.its a silver lining to living in one of the most expensive countries in the world.something back for all the tax I pay😩.
Hope you get some good help with this,keep fighting your corner and don’t let them bull…t you​:fist_right::fist_left:

4 Likes
2 Likes

This last G6 sensor has been a little wonky since application, probably should have just replaced it a few days back. Day 1: several periods of “jumpiness,” up/down 20-30 pts in short order. Similar short term events (≈30 min) a few other times over a few days. Today, Day 9, it went from “slightly” jumpy to “off the deep end” (100 to 71 to 29 to 59 to 84 to no reading/no error to 112) in 30 minutes with nothing eaten, no exercise, and me feeling just fine (sitting/walking/talking/driving) throughout (I get the shakes and sweaty at anything under 60. Two finger sticks showed a constant 120. Just filed for a new sensor online. I really like having Dexcom the majority of the time, but just as confidence gets established, an event like this knocks it down. Guess I’ll get used to it, but hoping the G7 can a have little longer “good” period.

3 Likes