Dexcom G6 best practices

So do I understand correctly that the wire straight in (pushing when inserting) does not work for you and your method causes the wire to be angled at shallower depth? I will for sure give it a try next time.

1 Like

Exactly! A different angle, and probably depth as well, is what does it for me.
These are all inserted at an angle, and I think that having the actual insertion angle be the same as when it will sit during use be the same is a big benefit.
I had this issue with 30 degree cannulas as well. So I figured this would cross over for experience.

2 Likes

John; I had exactly the same problem with the G6. The problem was corrected by changing the sensor location. I have a low Body Mass Index. From what I have been hearing that is a problem with the G6 unlike the G5. I changed the sensor location to my arm triceps area. Since I had always been using the waist area it does take some adjustment. Again no more sensor failures.

5 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. My next sensor will be upper arm but using angled gentler insertion methods described above.

My current sensor is going strong! For this one I am using Code and have never calibrated (accuracy seems fine). I gave it an extra secure Skintac and tape job.

My transmitter is on day 91 so I am ruling that out as a contributor to the last 4 early sensor failures.

3 Likes

One of my best practices has been to tape a ziploc over the top of the sensor when showering. This has helped the adhesive to last the advertised 10 days. I also use skintac initially over the adhesive and reapply if there are any issues (rarely happens).

3 Likes

Figured Iā€™d throw an update out there and see if any good ideas come back. Iā€™ve had decent performance lately with an extra diligent tape job combined with ā€œcode + never calibrateā€. Then the gremlins decided to attack my current sensor with pressure lows. Unfortunately I am only on Day 2 with this sensor (on my upper bicep, seems like I picked a bad spot) so will not be moving to a new location for (hopefully) 8 more days.

Anyway, the play by play for this event sort of sucksā€¦urgent low alarm at midnight followed by about 25 grams of carbs in my grogginess, followed by high BG all night with a few dropouts caused by pressure lows. It seems that the pressure lows cause the algorithm to shut down the sensor for a while which really screws me up. G5 never did thatā€¦the sensor would sort of climb out of the artificial low, which at least told me something useful. When all I see is ā€œsensor errorā€ and am too groggy/lazy to do the fingerstick the G6 seems to be working against me during the aftermath of these pressure lows.

Has anybody discovered a remedy for those pressure lowsā€¦a feather topper on the bed, a waterbed, a wedge pillow preventing me from laying on that sideā€¦?

3 Likes

I am noticing the same thing! G5 didnā€™t seem to generate the pressure lows like G6. And yes, if I lay on the G6 Iā€™m almost guaranteed a pressure low,and perhaps a signal drop, waiting for 3 hours. It usually comes back online in 15 minutes or so, TG.

I donā€™t have a resolution, but because I wear my sensor on upper arm, I try to put the opposite arm under the sensor arm when Iā€™m laying on the sensor side. This way the the pressure is on my opposite arm/hand, instead of the sensor. It definitely helps to prevent the pressure lows but is not very comfortable!

3 Likes

Thereā€™s gotta be some place you donā€™t put as much pressure on. How about the inside of your arm, like the part that is next to your body? Or lower back? Stomach? Butt? Upper thigh?

I think it helps to try different spots. If it doesnā€™t work, you get to try again in 10 days. And a bad spot is not wasted, itā€™s a way of learning ā€œthis is a bad spotā€¦ā€

All of my favorite pod spots are just ones I tried and liked. And the first time I tried it, it was a ā€œnewā€ spot. The downside on the Dex trials is just that they last longer.

Maybe a way to work it is to try a pod there for 3 days. If it seems tolerable and you donā€™t seem to be sleeping on it, then you could try a Dex in that place.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the mode Iā€™m in. Seems like Iā€™ve settled in on upper arms for both pods and sensors.

1 Like

I think using the same spot for sensors is okay. Like switching left side and right side gives the place a break.

But I really think using the same spot for pods gets you into a bad place. Yes itā€™s convenient and you get familiar with the insulin delivery. But the sites can get worn out from the infusion over the course of years.

There are others who have used a pump for much longer than I have, so I am not an expert on this. But I have heard of this being an issue, so I have tried to be good about rotating pump sites.

This is a good concise write-up.

4 Likes

Yes that is a good concise article, thanks! One takeaway is: ā€œmove the injection site a fingerā€™s length (about an inch) away from the last site.ā€ Following this guideline and rotating around about half of my upper arms, sliding up and down from below sleeves to within a few inches of underarm zone there is a lot of room to find fresh absorptive sites. I generally try to keep CGM and pod on the same arm when practical just for ease of not ripping them off (easier to remember to be careful with one arm than two). So each arm also gets a rest/rotation every 10-20 days.

I also try to avoid pod placement where I have had trouble in the past (terrible absorption, or spots that are easily knocked around in my day to day). This disqualifies my front/front side abdomen and my thighs. I can put CGM there but have had better longevity lately on the arm.

Diabetes is the perfect playground for a tinkerer. The only downside to constantly tinkering with these devices is some of the pros and cons of various tweaks can be pretty hard to remember. For example I usually forget how bad I am at taping a sensor on the back of my right arm using my left hand in a mirror until I am standing there with tape stuck all over my fingers.

3 Likes

You have pretty short fingers.

Assume you meant width. :smiley:

4 Likes

I totally agree with using no code.

2 Likes

Ha! That guy is at Mar a Lagoā€¦Maybe they are talking about juvenile fingers?

2 Likes

I can attest to their steadfastness in offering a replacement sensor as I had a similar encounter with the call center last night! @John58 does it take the suggested 3-5 days for the replacement to arrive? How long did it take for you to receive your replacements in the mail?

2 Likes

@Necroplasm much of that is determined by your proximity to San Diego and\or the shipping service level as dictated by Dexcom. If Dexcom so decrees, replacements can arrive same day, but generally itā€™s shipped with FedEx 3 day service.

4 Likes

@elver unfortunately I am on the other coast here in NJ. So I will continue to expect it in about the 3 days CatLady suggested it takes.

Hopefully I can get this new sensor working better and will try no-code mode for this one. Itā€™s frustrating that I have to drop 60-something bucks on more test strips because my first sensor was faulty. :confounded:

4 Likes

That is absolutely frustrating. If I can offer a counterpoint. We have been successfully using the Dexcom system for years and we still spend quite a lot on test strips. No matter what they say, it isnā€™t a complete replacement for blood sugar measurements.

5 Likes

@Necroplasm
Iā€™ve had sensors take 3 days to arrive. Iā€™ve also had them take 2 weeks, but that was due to storms in Tennessee. Oddly, the ones shipped from CA generally arrive quicker than those from TN. (Iā€™m in MA).
:woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Guess Iā€™m going to have to fight to get my test strips covered by insurance, then. Thanks for the tip! Honestly, they will probably cover now that Iā€™m T1. Not sure why, but most insurance companies will flag most if not all diabetic supplies if youā€™re anything else.

3 Likes