Debugging running - the spinoff episode

Yeah, that graph looks a little spiky but it’s a pretty condensed view (12 hours) if that matters?

I had my basal completely off from 8:23-9:45 (previous run).

Thanks for the suggestions about gels/glucose. I will keep looking into it and try the ones I have before buying more :slight_smile:

In other news, 2-mile run today:

• 4:15am - zero basal; CIQ off
  • 5:12am - gummy worms (10g carb); 133 :arrow_right: on CGM
  • 5:21am - walk, run, walk - 129 :arrow_right: on CGM
    • mile 1: 141 on CGM
    • mile 2 (finish): 139 on CGM
  • 5:39am - pump back on in sleep mode; took a couple of small boluses between 5:45-6:00

While the graph was great while running, I think the post-run spike (up to 200 by 6:23am) was due to two things - I probably didn’t need to eat anything for such a short run, and probably could have turned my pump back on again before I started the run since it was only 20 minutes. Runs only get longer from here on out so I’m sure this will depend on the length of the activity overall!

2 Likes

@allison,
Oh sorry, no I was not saying your graph was spiky! It’s fine, really!

I just meant that you spiked going from 144 at the start to 178 after one mile, that’s all.

These numbers look really solid! A high of only 141, that’s great!

Other stuff to consider. In this case your basal was off for an entire hour before, instead of only 30 minutes.

It’s fine, there are a thousand different ways to bake the cake! But if you have zero basal for a longer time, you can reduce the carbs before you start.

Just a trade-off there.

You are kind of saying the same thing here, about turning your basal back on before starting.

So there are a few great things to highlight from this 2 mile run!

Shorter runs need less carbs before hand (also referenced a few posts above, I think).

Turning off basal for a longer time before is a trade-off for less carbs.

(And, personally, I totally get the longer zero basal happening sometimes. Like you plan to start at a certain time, and then stuff happens, and your basal is off for longer than you intended! Happens to me all the time!)

But celebrate the day! 2 miles between 133 and 141. :partying_face:

1 Like

I guess it has been a couple of weeks since I last posted but training has been going well… not only have my blood sugars been good enough to run, I feel like I am getting better at running!! I didn’t think that was possible! :rofl:

Last Saturday, I did 4 miles:

• 8:03 zero basal, CIQ off
  • 8:40 chewy bar 19g, 119 cgm
  • 8:52 warm-up walk, 136 cgm
  • 8:59 start run, 148 cgm
    • 9:09 186 cgm
    • 9:12 activated a low basal rate (50%) with CIQ off
    • 9:19 201 cgm
    • 9:29 188 cgm
    • 9:32 sleep mode back on
  • 9:40 finish run - 174 cgm
    (the drop on the graph is from bolusing at the end, after I was done and doing my cool down walk)

Based off of this one, I think I needed to eat closer to the start of the run and not so far ahead - it seems like it was a good amount of carbs for this distance but just not timed right. Also, as you previously mentioned, I should not turn off my basal so far ahead of time… but I’m kind of worried about lows with that. I just need to try it though.

I can give you more data from other shorter runs if you’d like. Thanks again for any input (from anyone!).

3 Likes

Hi @allison! It’s awesome that you are feeling better at running! Great stuff to hear!

There are a million ways to do it. In this instance you could have turned your basal off closer to the start or you could have had less carbs at the beginning or you could eat your carbs right before you start or you could just do a compromise of those things. So many different ways.

I personally like to go for less time with the zero basal and more carbs, because carbs are fuel. So I personally consider more carbs as a better option than more zero basal.

But it just takes time to find that area where you are comfortable with your BG.

The important thing is that you are doing this. You went for a 40 minute run and did not crash. So congrats!

Definitely, let’s see what you’ve got!

2 Likes

Okey dokey… :slight_smile: I have been going high after a lot of days so have been bolusing and walking longer if I suspect that is going to happen.

6/13 - 3 miles - not bad, dropped a bit at the end

• 4:15 CIQ off, zero basal
  • 5:23 10g stroopwafels, 121 cgm
  • 5:26 start walk
  • 5:29 start run, 118 cgm
    • 5:39 112 cgm
    • mile 1.5: sleep mode on
    • 5:49 103 cgm
    • 5:59 100 cgm

6/8 - 2.5 miles - nailed it for the run but rollercoaster day after

• 4:15 zero basal, CIQ off
  • 5:15 gummy worms 16g carb? 127 cgm
  • 5:18 warm up walk
  • 5:20 start run, 122 cgm
    • 5:29 109 cgm
    • 5:39 108 cgm
    • 1 mile left - CIQ on, sleep mode
  • 5:46 finish run, 107 cgm

6/6 - 3 miles - not bad - finished the run but started to drop

• 4:15 zero basal, CIQ off
  • 5:09 11g gummy worms, 124 cgm
  • 5:15 start walk, 119 cgm
  • 5:20 start run, 115 cgm
    • 5:29 116 cgm
    • Sleep mode on at 1.5 miles
    • 5:39 107 cgm - started to drop here, mile 2
  • 5:52 cool down walk, 7g gummy worms, 87 cgm - spiked later

6/3 - 3.5 miles - success

• 7:01 zero basal, CIQ off
  • 7:36 meter 127, CGM 111
  • 7:37 15g gummy worms
  • 7:42 warm up walk
  • 7:48 start running, cgm 129
    • 8:09 cgm 145
    • 8:19 cgm 137
    • 2.5 miles in - CIQ on, sleep mode
  • 8:25 done running, cool down walk - 133 cgm
  • 8:30 1u bolus + more later

spike after:

5 Likes

Wow, these are all very impressive numbers @allison! They range from great to incredible! Some of them look non-D perfect!

It looks like you are getting a very good cadence going with the timing and the zero basal and the carbs and everything. :+1:

You mentioned spiking after, and taking a bolus when you finish. Maybe consider taking a bolus when you are almost done, like with 1/2-1 mile left.

If you are rising at the end, and you have not had any basal for almost 2 hours, as soon as you stop running, those spike can be very rapid. So taking it while you are still running will definitely help with that. I know it seems counter-intuitive to take insulin while running or right after completing exercise! But I am very aggressive with it.

You are totally crushing it! :star_struck:

5 Likes

Agree with @Eric , these look terrific to me! It’s funny what we each think of as a “drop”–for me, going to 100 or even 87 by the end is normal. I haven’t tried fueling with a stroopwaffel yet; I have a 20g Untapped Chai Waffle that I may try for tomorrow morning, though.

Great stuff, keep it up!

4 Likes

Have you tried the Untapped gels? I like those a lot. They are very different from the normal running gel.

@Marie, did you ever try the Untapped?

1 Like

@Eric No, they look delicious and ideal in a lot of cases! But they are a thinner consistency than regular gels. A lot of the time if I use a GU gel I only use half of one and put the rest of the packet back in a small regular baggy in case I need the rest of it. The GU gels roll/fold up pretty nice and stay pretty intact. Something real liquidy wouldn’t work as well especially since sometimes ocean water seeps in. :grin:

2 Likes

Yep, I understand! They are a little bit messy if you don’t eat all of it.

My official 10k race is next Saturday, so today I did my test 10k. I DID IT!

• Turned pump off 1 hour before
  • Ate chewy bar (18g carb) just before leaving the house
  • Basal back on (without control IQ) at mile 4

That’s it. Perfect numbers:

I had to take a couple of weeks off from exercising due to a minor gum surgery, so that put me back a bit, but now I’m ready for the actual race next week! Any tips for the big day? The race starts at 6:30am :flushed:

Thank you all!!!

9 Likes

@allison, great stuff there! Wonderful numbers. That’s a huge confidence builder for you!

• For this week leading up, there is not much you can do to improve your fitness. A few short jogs would be good to stay loose, but just easy stuff.

• Prioritize sleep this week! Especially Wednesday and Thursday nights, because you may not sleep well on Friday night if you are nervous. All week long, try to get some sleep!

• Put in a new infusion set on Friday morning so it has been tested during the day Friday, but is not old. Also change your sensor a few days before (or whatever time gives you the best numbers). Prioritize having good BG on Friday night and when you wake up Saturday morning, so change your sensor and infusion at a time that will give you good numbers then.

• Hydrate well all week. Don’t wait until Saturday morning to start hydrating, do it all week long. If you have been hydrating well all week, you don’t need to go nuts drinking water on Saturday morning. That will help so you don’t have a sloshy belly.

• For meals this week, try to prioritize carbs and protein more than fat.

• Eat safe for Friday dinner! Nothing crazy, nothing huge.

• Nothing new on race day! Don’t change the formula. Stay with all of the stuff you have done.

• Whatever your breakfast timeline schedule has been for training, try to work that into the 6:30am start. If you eat 2 hours before, or 1 hour before, or whatever you are used to, try to stick with that.

The most important thing - go out and have fun. Run with confidence! You have put in the miles. Saturday is not the test, it is the celebration!

Good luck! Can’t wait to hear about it! :+1:

7 Likes

Congrats @allison ! That’s a terrific looking run. Looks like you’ve got everything dialed in. Nothing to add to @Eric 's advice, but I hope it goes well out there!

2 Likes

Thank you!! I was planning on taking it easy (even took the day off of work on Friday so I can pick up my packet), so I’ll just really need to work on getting to bed early every night :slight_smile: since the race is so early, and we have to be there even earlier, I’m just hoping things stay nice and smooth. No breakfast to worry about, just my chewy bar at the start! And then lots of snacks will be provided after!

6 Likes

Wow, great graph and BGs!! I’d say you are all set for the race! Good luck and yes, enjoy and have a great time!

3 Likes

It is finished!! I think it went pretty well. Started out a bit fast; average pace of 11:30. Longest run I’ve done so I’m proud of that.

Blood sugars were good. It was a bit tricky because there was some walking to get to the start, then waiting for 45 minutes to actually go, but I did my usual thing and it paid off. Race time was about 6:35-7:50.

How did you know? I was wide awake for what seemed like all night, but I did get some rest according to my watch.

Thank you all again for the help and encouragement!

8 Likes

Way to go! And a PR to boot. Now that you’ve got one in the bag you know you can handle the next ones :partying_face:

5 Likes

Kudus to you @allison and coach @Eric and a big cheer from me :mega:

4 Likes

Yay! Congrats @allison! Great job!

Well-Done-Applause

I hope you will celebrate it today. :star_struck:

4 Likes

Celebrating by walking to and around our local festival, but now reading on the couch to rest my tired feet :joy:

6 Likes