Daisy Mae's swimming BG thread

For anyone who wants to experience a taste of what is truly unlimited, i cant recommend this movie/documentary that eric suggested more. The Other Shore is one of the most awe inspiring expeditions i have ever witnessed.

the documentary takes you through the life and ambitions of the famed swimmer Diana Nyad, who’s lifelong goal it is to swim from Cuba to the Florida Keys. a 103 mile distance through the oceans.

enduring storms, changing currents, man-o-war jellyfish, hypothermia, dehydration, asma attacks, exhaustion, Ms. Nyad makes 3 attempts to cross these dangerous waters. she is already a famed and highly respected athlete and swimmer, but she has set this never before done goal, despite everything stacked against her. she is also in her 60s by the time she feels ready to put her body through exhaustive training and planning out the path to achieve her dream.

one thing in particular that captivated my attention most was the team that she put together to ensure her safety and assistance in accomplishing her goal. this team reminded me of us here at FUD; it reminded me of how nothing is beyond our dreams, our goals and our aspirations once we put our minds to it. we have a collection of members who share all of their experiences which prepare us and guide us to do what so many would consider impossible or rediculous. we do not judge. we support.

so, continue to dream large, FUD members, continue to persevere! :sunny:

DM

4 Likes

PS:

anyone else have movies or shows they can suggest to me while i am home bound recooperating, i would love to hear about them. and, i am deffinately willing to post my reviews.

i hope that you enjoyed my review of the Diane Nyad documentary. perhaps it will inspire you to set a goal for yourself and let us all help you to achieve it and root you on.

1 Like

It is not a thinking one, but we enjoyed Stranger Things, it is shot well and has a decent story.

1 Like

is Stranger Things the one with the kids on the bicycles who go out to the woods and find a dead body? "cause i think we’ve seen that one.

but dont let that put you off; keep on suggesting :blush:

1 Like

Yes, it was something like that. Kids on bikes, one kid goes missing, the kids on bikes search, and they are near a government research facility. If you can read subtitles, or speak Spanish, the first two seasons of Narcos was good. The third, not so much. And you have probably already seen them, but you could always binge on Breaking Bad. As a chemist it is an oldy but a goody.

1 Like

seen both Narcos and Breaking Bad. LOVED both. would recommend either or both to anyone. have you seen Better Call Saul? its the pre-cursor to Breaking Bad.

1 Like

Yeah, BCS was a guilty pleasure over a couple of weekends. Took a bit to get into, but it turned out to be a nice way to break clean from my breaking bad habit.

1 Like

have you ever seen SHAMELESS or NURSE JACKIE?

Shameless takes a bit to get into, but i found that once i got into it i was totally addicted and very upset when the last season ended; but, the good news is that it will be coming back soon, so i am very excited.

1 Like

I’m a total wuss when it comes to television or movies. Basically no violence, and no mean people for too long. So you can take my suggestions with a grain of salt, or watch them on a day when you need to feel relatively happy.

I will watch some British murder mysteries, specifically I love anything Agatha Christie. I really enjoyed the entire Poirot series. It looks like it’s not on Netflix anymore. :frowning: I’m still posting this. :slight_smile:

We are also watching Father Brown right now and it’s pretty good. And for complete escapism, I like the British real estate show “escape to the country” which I think is on Netflix presently.

1 Like

here’s my short list for Brit TV series:
Primes Suspect
Endeavor
Midsomer Murders
Happy Valley
Doc Martin
Inspector Lewis
Inspector Morse
Shetland
Downton Abby

if anyone has seen any or all of these, please chime in and give your review. we all need a way to pass the time sometimes, especially when we are waiting for our BGs to either come up or down (well, there is nothing like healthy distraction :wink: .)

1 Like

Ha, having spent almost my entire pregnancy this past year in bed or on the couch, I’m very familiar with the frustrations of having to stay down (but do rest! It seems a long time right now, but really it’s just a small blip in the grand scheme of things). The only one of those shows I’ve seen is Downton Abbey, which I loved - great story, great acting - though it seemed to lose something after season 3, so it actually took a little while for me to get around to watching the final seasons. Another BBC I’ve enjoyed is The Paradise, though that’s not at all in the mystery genre. Sherlock and Death in Paradise (both also BBC) are great.

A show my husband and I loved (that is sadly no longer on Netflix, but will mention all the same) is Lie To Me. I hesitate to mention this next one just because it can be disturbing (I found it so at times), but it was one of the most well done TV shows I have seen - Broadchurch (I think there may be new episodes up now; I’ve only seen seasons 1&2 - we got rid of our Netflix subscription recently).

I’m sure I’m forgetting some, but I’ll pass them along when I think of them. I hope and pray this time of rest and healing will pass quickly and uneventfully for you so you can get back to doing what you love!

1 Like

I somehow missed all the most recent episodes of Endeavor this summer!:scream_cat:

We have been to Oxford and enjoyed strolling through scenes from the town and have taken coffee, it turns out, in Inspector Lewis’ favorite cafés!

b/c this seems to be such a popular and growing topic, i thought it might be a great idea to start a thread on TV series, TV shows, and Movies/Documentaries. so, i will start a new thread, posting it under the topic of the FUN catagory.

i hope all will participate. we have so much to share.

DM

1 Like

i’m so jealous!!! lucky for the 2 of you.

sometimes i might not really enjoy a show, but i am mezmorized by the costumes or the cimematography and such…so much so that i am willing to tolerate a terrible, horrid piece of entertainment. :blush:

1 Like

AS PROMISED, KEEPING YOU ALL UP TO DATE:

3 weeks post surgery this coming wednesday, december the 20th. so far everything seems to be healing well, but this morning i woke up in quite a bit of pain. i phoned the surgeon and made an appointment. they wanted me to come right in before the holidays kicked off and everyone was away, out of the office, celebrating with friends and family, etc.

i am a little frightened, but i hope i will be fine. i am counting the weeks until i can get back into the pool and swim again.

i have had to make food choice adjustments, like cutting way down on my carbs, b/c i am not getting any exercise (but i did just begin to start taking gentle walks for 10 - 15 minutes a couple times a week.)

i am still on a Temp Basal of 105% 24/7, which seems to be working well. my BGs have been excellent (total target range with only about 3 highs and several lows).

and thats all the news thats fit to print. hope you all have a wonderful holiday season.

DM

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: TV SERIES, SHOWS, MOVIES, DOCUMENTARIES and more

SURGEONS VISIT TODAY:

so heres the latest scoop: saw the surgeon this afternoon, wednesday the 20th of december. got a great report; she loves the way that i am healing, and things are moving along faster than she anticipated (yay :sunny: ).

we discussed my D and how controlled i am and she said that that tight control was deff assisting my healing process. (yay, again :sunny: )

i am to have MORE motion in my right side now to exercise the muscles, but i still cannot carry a bag with me. i am now able to walk for 1 hour a day, at a bit of a faster pace, but not yet briskly.

i should be able to get back into the pool sooner than anticipated. my birthday is the second week of may, and she said that i will deff be able to do my regular swimming routine by then w/out question. (tripple yay :sunny: ) and i will be able to do some lite “water jogging” before then.

i am able to put my coat on now all by myself w/out assistance. i am able to hold a coffee cup and pick lite things up with my right hand/arm (but not a full tea kettle yet :wink: ).

all of this good news really inspires me to take things slow, but to keep moving forward. it also adds to the reason of the importance of maintaining tight BG control. it still amazes me how our D effects so much of our bodies and its functions. i remember a woman on our forum who once posted that we try to stay healthy so that we can live longer happier lives, and if getting too aggravated about tight tight control starts ruling your life, then you cannot be happy; so, in essence, the goal should be happiness.

I FEEL HAPPY TODAY!!! how 'bout you?

signing off,
DM

3 Likes

I am so HAPPY for YOU!! :sunny: :smile_cat:

1 Like

thank you so much. my husband is doing jumping jacks. (i would, but i am not able to jump up and down yet :wink: .)

1 Like

That is really great news! Healing from surgery is no joke, but it sounds like all the indications are positive. Please keep up the good work! Also, try not to get frustrated if things aren’t progressing as fast as you want them.

2 Likes