Daisy Mae's swimming BG thread

sounds like a potentially good idea, but how well does that travel in my knapsack?
but, i could keep them in the house for when i am home and need a quick fix.

i love grape lollipops. never thought about that :blush: brilliant.

ANOTHER EXPERIMENT: BELIEVEING IN ā€œTHE FORCEā€

today started out kind of crummy. months and months ago, i would have caved to my old ways and just called my plan quits. but today i chose not to do that. today i chose to work with the problem and not let it govern my plans and my goals.

at 11am ( this coordinates almost perfectly with empty pool time ) i began my swimming prep work: i turned off my pump and i gave myself a .5 unit of bolus (to prevent from spiking b/c i will have no IOB from bfast and b/c i will be on zero basal ) then it becomes a waiting game until that 0% basal sinks in. usually this is a waiting game that takes about 2.25 hours before i leave for the pool. i like my BGs up in the 130 range before i leave the house.( i generally swim for 2 hours, so this brings me to 4.5 hours completely insulin free.)

often this plan and course of action works for me. i can pretty much rely upon it. but, b/c i am a PWD, we all know how formulas and reliability can be :wink: so the idea i want to get across today is about being flexible. no matter how frustrating it feels, iā€™ve got to go with the flow. today was one of those ā€œgo-with-the-flowā€ days. i couldnā€™t get my BG up past 89 even after 2 hours of waiting. i will not go into the pool at that level. no matter what others say, no matter what eric says, i really need to be at around 130 to feel comfortable, safe, and worry-free before i dive into the pool and push my entire body through all that water for 2 hours without stopping except to test.

so, what did i do? i took 2 Gtabs after my second hour of waiting for my BG to come up. at first this seemed reasonable b/c i wasnā€™t achieving the higher BG level i wanted and i was finding everything very very frustrating. mistake # 1 . in hindsight, i should have taken only 1 tab and let the 0% basal kick in. but i was impatient and i took the 2 tabs instead. kind of like a child that wants everything immediately. :blush:

all in all, i had to wait an additional 1/2 hour before leaving for the pool. i wish it had been easier, but it wasnā€™t, so accept it and move on, right? right. when i got to the pool, i tested again, and my BG had shot up to 164. ugh, but not so bad. i jumped in and swam my heart out.

now i will say that it was far from my best swim, but as high as my BGs were, it was relatively a perfect flatline. i swam for 90 minutes, replenished my missed basal rate (oh, i never know how much to give myself. i just take a random guess and let the pump do its work). on my walk home, i gave myself a 50% bolus for 32 gms of carbs which i would drink as soon as i walked into my front door.

here are todayā€™s stats:
2pm bg 156
2:30 bg 164
3pm bg 168
3:30 bg 141

would have preferred a lower BG, but i am proud that i persevered. and i will remember next time not to take 2 Gtabs :smile:

and once again: thank you to everybody who has supported me from day one, rooting me on and reading my posts. i hope that i can help another PWD (or their child) with anything i report. this is just my experience, all most all of it gleaned and learned from this wonderful community.

DM

5 Likes

You really have it dialed in now! While you may not have been at your optimal bg to start, you are now exercising for hours without a significant drop. That is a huge success in my book.

1 Like

Nice work today!
image|30x30

1 Like

What an amazing transition that youā€™ve made. I remember the first day you showed up looking for help with your swimming and @Eric started you nice and slow and NOW LOOK AT YOU!

Gratz on a job well done! Now go have a :banana_split:!

2 Likes

everyone is raving on this banana split deal. i love it. personally, weā€™ve not delved deep enough into this; lets talk about ice cream flavors. very important :wink:

2 Likes

For the classic banana split, you have to have one scoop each of chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. But my personal favorite ice cream is Jamaican Almond Fudge, any ā€œCoffeeā€ flavor, or Butter Pecan. :slight_smile: (And chocolate is always good)

1 Like

a good chocolate is always good, but then it comes down to which brand you like best. personally, there is this place called Uncle Louis near us and they make their ice cream fresh every day. they make a rum raison that is to die for. and you can mix it up with real rum and whole milk for an awesome shake. (Hagan Daz makes a killer rum raison, and their chocolate aint bad either. but i think it might be their dark chocolate ice cream that i like, not the regular)

PS: Jamaican Almond Fudge is Awsome, have always loved it.

2 Likes

OMG, I love anything HƤagen-Dazsā€¦I think they put crack in their ice cream ā€“ itā€™s so addictive. :laughing: Thatā€™s definitely my favorite brand, and Iā€™ve eaten (and love their Rum Raisin). They also had a banana rum jam way back that was delicious but Iā€™m not sure if they sell that flavor anymore.

1 Like

I love that DM is hijacking her own exercise thread talking about ice cream.
:joy:

Hey Harold, how about a Yoda emoji?

3 Likes

Yoda is so hard to see. I thought your pic of Yoda was a pic of a martini glass with an olive on top. :laughing:

3 Likes

hahahahaha! youā€™re the first person iā€™ve ever met that also loves their rum raisin !!! another one i love is Pistachio, but i cannot for the life of me remember who made it. ( when Dagostinoā€™s was still open, they made their own brand and it was fabulous ) the place i mentioned earlier, Uncle Louis makes fresh pistachio and it is to die for :yum:

2 Likes

Yep, I also love Pistachio. The only stuff I donā€™t like is stuff like Cookie dough and that type of thingā€¦

Haagen Daz Pistachio Ice Cream

well ice cream is excellent for exercisers b/c its made from cream and whole milk and has carbs and protein and can be very hydrating to some. and b/c it digests slowly, it is an excellent BG stabilizer. therefore, it is perfect for swimmers :yum:

3 Likes

Since you said that, now I want a martini

2 Likes

I think he means you need glasses :slight_smile:

I could not recognize Yoda either until I brought my microscope. But I am older than you!

1 Like

2 Likes

You have to admit, that small yoda image he posted looks just like a martini glass and the top of yodaā€™s head looks like an olive sticking out from the top.

3 Likes

found a store within walking distance for both the pistachio and the rum raisin.
very excited.

2 Likes