Daisy Mae's swimming BG thread

Hi DM! I’m sorry you’re still under the weather. That sucks. I’ve enjoyed reading your thread, and appreciate your experiments! Feel better soon!

I’m sure everyone at the pool misses you too. :swimming_woman:

2 Likes

DM, so sorry to see you in this bad shape :frowning:

My son came back from Costa Rica with a bug and has also been laid low for the past 10 days – he is slowly coming out of it now. He tells me to give you a “careful” hug for him.

I added the link to the temp basal thread to your post :slight_smile: Can’t wait to see you back in full swing!

2 Likes

Hope you start feeling better soon, DM. Sickness is never good, but especially bad for diabetics. Hope it passes soon!

1 Like

i was getting all ready for the pool today, when i learned, ever so sadly, that it is closed for some kind of renovation. the sauna, steam room and showers are all shut down as well, and nothing will be reopened until next tuesday after the holiday w/end.

so, no new swimming reports from me, but i want all of you to know that i am up and about and feel 100% better.

if all continues to go well, i will be back experimenting on Tuesday. will continue to keep you posted.

DM

3 Likes

Glad to hear you are back on your feet.

1 Like

thanks so much Chris. i really appreciate your continued support !!!

1 Like

well, its september 5th and my bug has passed 100%. and i’ve taken care of all my current obligations; its back in the pool for me !!!

i am very excited but also nervous. it feel like i have been away from the pool for so long ( 3 weeks ) that perhaps i forgot how to swim :wink: .)

but ya fall off the horse, you got to get up and get back on, right :blush: so thats exactly what i will be doing.

i will continue to keep all of you in the loop and fill you in on how it went (and how the prep work went as well; my BGs have been running low lately, so i don’t have a clue as to what my starting BG will be when i turn off my pump.; but, no worries. i’ve been though it all before; and i am certain that i’ll be back into the swing of it again.)

DM

6 Likes

woohoo! So excited for you.

2 Likes

Have fun! #unlimited

2 Likes

thank you both. ive just got to remember that i am still unlimited :blush:

2 Likes

Get back to work in the pool, DM!
:grinning:

3 Likes

has anyone who exercises regularly, but for whatever reason cannot keep up their routine, feel like they have forgotten how to continue their sport once they are able to get back into it???

i literally feel like i will sink in the pool. i feel like i am going to have to start at the beginning all over again. but then i think that my muscles must have “muscle memory” . does that make sense to anyone?

1 Like

You start to lose cardio fitness after about 10 days, give or take. And the muscle fibers that are specific to your sport start to lose their strength after about 2 weeks.

But the good news is you are not starting from zero. You will get right back to it. A couple weeks and you will be right back where you were.

So dig in!

3 Likes

Oh, this is such GREAT news! Mazel Tov!

what should my realistic expectations be for my body? endurance-wise, what should i be satisfied with? maybe just 1 hour of laps?

Take it easy, see how you feel. Plan on anything from 1-2 hours, and just listen to what your body tells you.

1 Like

Mazel Tov to you Michael. off topic: looking fwd to the upcoming holidays? do you observe and celebrate? its HUGE with my family.

1 Like

i really want to be able to 2 hours. i dont know if that is putting too much pressure on myself or is setting me up for feelings of failure. but to be truly unlimited, its just jumping in and testing the waters again. (and btw, i am really looking fwd to drinking my chocolate protein shakes post swim :blush: )

1 Like

Yes, we celebrate hard, mostly through cooking and ritual! I work hard at keeping my kids connected to the traditions. I can’t say I believe in anything, but I have many philosophical and ethical discussions w my sons around the celebrations, and we do the full ritual for every big holiday.

My sons love the food from the holidays (I always cook traditional recipes that go back about 500+ years in my family). In fact, my older son took me aside the other day and said:

"- Dad, I don’t mean to hurt you! But, you know, you are not getting any younger. When you are gone, where will your recipes be?’

So, since that time, I have been keeping a recipe log online that i share with my sons so that they can have the recipes when I am six feet under :slight_smile:

5 Likes

my in-law family are ultra orthodox Holocaust survivors. the food is big, but the services and the prayer and hope and celebration take the cake :wink:

my immediate family is conservative, and although we go to temple, the food and the gathering of family members from all over the country has become the most important.

4 Likes