Daisy Mae's swimming BG thread

@daisymae, I am thinking back at when you started this thread. It is extraordinary how much control you have gained of what is happening to you when you swim.

I know it’s not perfect yet (will it ever be for anyone?) but it is truly amazing what today looks like compared to a couple of months ago. Truly, kudos to you, your persistence, and your willingness to experiment and push your boundaries: you are truly an example!

3 Likes

And, btw, I LOVE your poem!

thank you; i am so proud of my pentameter.

1 Like

that means a lot to me. i will continue my complement fishing (in the pool…lol)

2 Likes

I agree. This thread is absolutely fascinating to read.

3 Likes

thank you so much. so, i will continue…
today was a weird day. many unexpected things happened.

last night i turned down my basal to 90% thinking i had had such a hard swim that day that i would probably go low during the night. i forgot to stop the TB before bfast, and 2.5 hours post bfast, my BGs had skyrocketed from 70 to 221. so my instinct was to do a correction bolus. i wasnt thinking about swimming at all; i was simply on autopilot mode: high BG, out of target range, bolus insulin asap.

well, this screwed up my 0% basal prep for my swim, b/c even though i had turned my pump off, i still had that correction bolus hanging out in the back round. big mistake. and i was in such a rush to get to the pool that i didnt think wisely enough that patience is a virtue. i should have let all the IOB out before my pool prep. i was just so eager to get to that pool and to have a wonderful swim.

well my BGs were so stubborn i could barely get them to come down. finally, after 2.5 hours, i was 159. i drank copious amounts of water, and waited, prepping for my swim just as usual. and i thought, that waiting 2.25 hours on 0% basal, should keep me elevated. nothing to worry about. i have swam above 200 before. this wouldnt kill me. so i thought, WTF, and i went to the pool anyway. when i got to the pool, i retested: 154bg. put on my suit and jumped right into the pool. and i began my swim it was 2:15pm

2:15pm bg 154
2:45pm bg 103 took 1 glucose tab and jumped back into the pool.
3:15pm bg 70 too nervous to continue my swim. figured 1 hour of hard laps was a decent enough work out. so i left the pool and went upstairs to shower and change. i bolused 1.5 units of “replacment” basal (for the time that i was off the pump) then i bolused again at 3:50pm to cover my carb replenishment.

this formula usually works great for me. BUT i am used to swimming for twice the amount of hours than i did today. so i was in murky waters trying to guesstimate how much of this and that i needed to re-fuel my body with.

well, when i got home i drank my shakes, and when i tested again 1 hour later, i had gone from 90bg to 181bg. omg. but i still had 1.8 units IOB. so we’ll see what happens.

Every day is something new. adjust here, adjust there; and just when you think that you have mastered the formula, BANG ZOOM, it doesnt work the same way it did the week before. UGH

so i will, as usual, continue to keep you up to date on the evening results. i do hope things go more smoothly.

DM

1 Like

That’s a bit of a tough one, but that is ok. You have a big swimming day Friday coming up. You will be well rested, so you can push really hard on your laps tomorrow!

if any of you are still reading todays post, i just retested my BG and i have spiked up to 286. OMG. i changed my pump site and did a correction bolus.

lets hope this will bring me down into target range (or close to it…i would even find 150 bg totally acceptable :wink: ).

1 Like

You’ll get there. Pump site failures happen to us all. :frowning:

just tested again, and i shot up even more. 330 BG. changed pump again. (call me totally neurotic :wink: .)

i will wait and hour and see what happens (i.e. if there is any more trending up into the cosmos). i might end up giving myself an IM shot if the pump refuses to work its magic.

i must say that i am shocked at this situation. it feels like it is something that i have done wrong. yet i do understand the crazy nature of this disease. but S, this is frustrating.

1 Like

well, its been 1.5 hours since my correction bolus. nothing. not a single budge in a downward trend. (bright side: i have at least not continued going up )

gave myself what i hope was an IM shot right into my thigh. i just stretched out my skin and stabbed the needle in.

will continue monitoring. i hate this.

PS:the glass is half full b/c when i come crashing down, there is always chocolate waiting for me !!!

1 Like

The combination of no swimming yesterday and the lower basal today messed you up. :frowning:

well that IM injection brought me down to 107 in 1 hour. now i am going to have some yogurt and prepare to crash.

oy vay.

IM is great, isn’t it?!

Enjoy your crash - eat some chocolate!

yes, the lowering was immediate but now i have all this IOB and my BG just came down from 107 to 68. i am so tired from this. and the swing is a bit hard to handle…coming down so fast. i just want to go to sleep, but i know that i cant quite yet.

oh boy am i tired.

1 Like

Can your husband take on BG watch for you? I do that all the time for my son.

yes, my husband is the time keeper. he gets me up every 1/2 hours to test and then i correct with food if necessary .

not that scared b/c i had all that food before and my BG was 72.

1 Like

not able to swim today. hubby wanted to go to IKEA so that we could remodel our kitchen. but i must have some sort of illness, b/c my BGs are so high that i put UP my TB to 130%. just tested after lunch and my BG was 290. i took an IM shot in the thigh.( and my lunch was only 34 gms of carbs)

will i be able to go swimming tomorrow? its anyones guess. as i told eric, the only reason i can think of for these HIGHS, is that i got my flu shot on wednesday and i had a bacterial infection in my stomach. I went on antibiotics wednesday night. so, maybe thats the problem. ???

so as far as my elevated BGs, they are in sync with my infection and my flu shot. has anyone out there reacted to their flu shot as i seemed to have? i think i had the same reaction to the shot last year.

i’ll be waiting eagerly to hear back from all of you. have you had your flu shot yet? do you ever react to them?

1 Like

Had to bag the swimming for today. BG went up to 350 last night. followed erics advice and gave myself an IM shot right in the thigh muscle. came down to 106 within the hour (awesome , right???) but then bounced back up. did a 140% TB rate and it kept me level through the night. now i am on 125% TB and my last BG pre-dinner (toast and yogurt) was 85.

thanks to everyone out there who have been sending me their well wishes. it really means so much to me (and my husband is a little jealous of all the attention i am getting, so its making me :blush: )

can’t wait to be feeling better and jumping into that pool again. will keep you all posted,

DM

3 Likes

hi, its me again. just to fill you in, its coming up on 2 full weeks in bed with this cruel and unforgiving bug. aches, pains, changing temp basal rates, and a head that feels like it will implode. sweaty and then cold, ugh.

needless to say, i have not been in the pool since friday august 18th and it is now august 30th. oh my. i am so frustrated. especially whenever i go into my bathroom and see my swimsuits hanging over the shower, completely dry, just begging for me to take them down and put them to proper use. :blush:

and just for experiments’ sake, i have strongly been considering erics mad mad idea of creating a false temp basal to off-set a 0% basal setting while prepping for my swim. (kindly refer to the new post on “temp basals” and you will see the insanity of combined minds and how far we can tempt the boundaries of modern science.)

thats all i really have to say. well, except that i really miss the pool and swimming terribly.

DM

3 Likes