Daisy Mae's swimming BG thread

thx. that clarifies a lot of things. its 12 noon and i am no longer hurting. just waiting for BG to come up. its almost been 2 hours off basal and last test i was 70. if i can get up to 85+ in another 45 minutes, i will take some Gtabs and walk to the pool anyway.

i want to “trust the basal.” still nervous, though.

Can you do me a favor?

Just this once…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Please?

OKAY: here i go; doing you a biggy at 103; walking to the pool now. nervous, but fearless (kind of ) but I am trusting you and the basal :wink:

What will be your total time of zero basal at 1:00pm? About 3 hours?

Just try it! Get in there!

If you are under 110, take 2 gtabs, but only right before you start.
Don’t take it and wait. Take it right when you get in the pool.

If you are under 120, take 1 gtab. Only 1 !!, but only right before you start.
Repeat - right before you start!!

1 Like

at 1pm, i will have been with 0% basal for exactly 2 1/2 hours.

i didnt need a Gtab at all. but this has happened before and it happened again today: i left my house at 123 BG and just 15 minutes later (when i was testing before my swim ) i went up to 162 BG. ( i didnt eat or drink anything )
1pm 162
1:30 165
2pm 138
2:30 127
3pm 124 gave myself 2 bolus units, took shower, walked home.
3:30 gave myself a 1.6 unit bolus to cover my carb/protein shakes (32 grms)
3:40 drank shakes. (very yummy )
total off basal: 4.5 hours exactly (same as usual)

i have a thought about this jump in BG from when i leave the house to the 15 minute later when i get to the pool: what if i only do 0% basal for 2 hours instead of the 2.5 hours; then i can get into the pool with a lower BG. ???

PS: had an amazing swim. 1st hour swimming with very hard stroke, 2nd hour with kick board with intense strength/fast paced. muscles are searing again, but in a good way. today i have a wonderful endorphin rush (which i havent had in a rather long time). feeling good and very strong. couldnt do that all-out intense swim for 20 minutes like you suggested. tried it and lasted 4 laps :wink: .

feeling another ADVIL NIGHT coming on !!!

1 Like

I think the 2 hours might be worth trying. If that jump is happening right at 2 1/2, giving 2 hours a try sounds good.

But all-in-all, those are good numbers! 162 to 124 is awesome!

So the thing is, it isn’t “all out”…it’s “all out for 20 minutes”!

Pick the pace you could keep for 20 minutes, but only 20 minutes.

• If you can only last 4 laps at the pace, your pace is too fast.

• If you could keep the pace for 40 minutes, it is too slow.

Try to find that 20 minute pace, and see if you spike!

i like this formula, but i think it may be too many Gtabs. after i have been off of my basal by that many hours, i am ULTRA sensitive to anything i put in my mouth. if i were under 100 (no lower than 70 ), i think all i would need would be 1 tab, not 2, etc. and then i would take it at the pool before jumping in. (or maybe in the locker room while i am changing into my swim suit.) (there is only about 5 minutes between changing into my suit and getting to the pool.)

what are your thoughts?

Yep, you will be more sensitive to spikes being off basal for a few hours, so find numbers that make sense for you. Under 100 = 1 tab, or whatever you feel comfortable with.

But, do it right before you get in the pool, not when changing!
timing-of-pre-workout-carb-consumption
That way it is consistent. Because inevitably, walking from the locker room to the pool, old-lady Benson or old-man Jackson will strike up a conversation with you, delay you a few more minutes, and you will spike. And then you will be cursing them the whole time you are swimming. :rofl:

yes; the jump is happening right at that 2.5 hour mark. it happens really quickly as well. i could be hanging out, waiting for my BGs to be in range, allowing for my 0% basal to do its thing, and at the 2 hour and 15 minute mark, my BGs are perfect for leaving the house and swimming. it takes me 15 minutes to get to the gym. at that point 2.5 hours off basal have passed. i test, and i have shot up from 120s to 160s.

before, on another post of yours, you suggested that it could be adrenaline which is causing the quick spike, but i wasnt feeling anything heart throbbing on my walk there. i felt completely normal, completely myself. i wish i could figure it out so that i could adjust it. and, the only thing that comes to mind is cutting down the time that i am off my basal. maybe i just need 2.25 hours off the basal instead of just 2 ???

also, if i am not off the basal long enough, will my BGs drop faster while i am swimming?

any thoughts?

The thought I had before, was if you are anxious about the swimming, or nervous about your BG, something like that could cause a spike. But I think by now, you are a calm steely veteran, so that spike is probably not related to nerves.

So swimming after two hours of zero basal might possibly be okay, but then your BG might drop more!

So a different option would be to increase your preemptive bolus. Are you still doing that? Right before you turn off your basal, are you still taking a bit of insulin to keep you from spiking too high?

Like at 10:30am today, did you take little bit before going to zero basal?

yes. i took .5 units right before i turned off my basal. if i am under 80, i only take .4 units. but i always do the bolus.

another thing that i notice (which i think is due to the pre-bolus) is that my BG goes down 1 hour post bolus, but then creeps up again after my basal has been off for over an hour.

So maybe a bit more of that preemptive bolus would keep the spike a bit lower. Maybe 0.6 or 0.7? Or would that drop you too much?

i think that would drop me too much. i mean, its always worth a try, but i think shortening the 0% basal time would be my first choice, only b/c it is something consistantly happening during the same time period.

just a thought: what if i wait to give myself that bolus; what if i turn off my basal for 30 minutes to 1 hour and THEN give myself the bolus?

That’s certainly worth trying. All kinds of different ways to do it. Try them all!

You have a really good sense of what is happening to your BG now. You know the timing, dosing, and everything.

You are a Jedi Master!

you’re a Jedi Master’s teacher. :wink: and soon i will be going to get my Master’s Degree from Pancreatic University

3 Likes

They expelled me.
:rofl:

I was expelled from Dolphin University so i relocated to Brooklyn and now study at the Dodge Y

(i also take classes on-line )

1 Like

:musical_note:
No one does it all by herself
I said, young lady, put your pride on the shelf
And just go there, to the Y.M.C.A.
I’m sure they can help you today
doo-doo-doo-doo-doo
It’s fun to swim at the Y.M.C.A. !
It’s fun to swim at the Y.M.C.A. !