Cost of G6 Sensors

Some good info here…

4 Likes

Thank you!!! I’m looking forward to the change!!

Old thread but still good. My wife refuses to view Netflixes filmed before 2021 (obviously a moving target), I’ve never got that. Here’s my latest price drop. These are US insurance-negotiated figures with no insurance contribution; i.e. this is what the insurance company pays before kick-backs, together with the “cash” (over-the-counter) price. My insurance company is moda, others might be slightly different but it seems unlikely that there would be any major difference (that would be in the kick back, because of the US laws). All these prices are through Walmart as the retailer:

Fiasp, 2x10ml vials: cash $707.17. In this case there is a lower insurance negotiated price of $80, $40/vial

Omnipod Dash pods, 30 day supply (10 pods): $617.97, insurance pays $556.71

Contour Next One BG test strips, 100: $132, insurance pays $107.90

Dexcom G6 sensor: 9 (90 day supply): $1309.20, insurance pays $1035.71

Dexcom G6 transmitter (90 day supply, 1): $295.21, insurance pays $230.97

So, plus ça change plus c’est la même chose; the Dexcom sensors are $300/month, the transmitter is $300 but it lasts for 90 days, insulin is $300/10ml and the only weird shyte so far this year is that the Dash pods have doubled in price. My guess is that Insulet wants to stop supplying them.

The insurance limit on test strip usage is 6/day, so 30 days is 180, but Walmart also sells its own “ReliOn” test strips at $9/50, so they probably don’t much care about jacking the price on the Bayer (or whoever it is) ones. They are in direct competition with Amazon who have jacked their own Contour prices very much recently and have distinguished the “over the counter” test strips (in multiples of 35, $26.32/100, until Amazon notice) from the prescription ones (much more expensive).

1 Like