Constant Glucose Monitor Canada

Interesting. My son is going to school up there and is covered by the national health care but other than a bad cold, he has not been treated or needed any prescriptions so I don’t know any of the ropes up there.

It’s different in each province and there is no national pharmacare. In Ontario, the pump is covered for everyone and most prescription drugs are covered if you’re 24 or younger (this is new). Otherwise, you need private insurance for drugs just like in the States. CGMs are difficult to get coverage for and are not covered by the government. The main difference is that drug prices are heavily regulated and insurance companies are agnostic as to which insulin or test strips you prefer, since they all cost about the same.

1 Like

You used to be able to change between mmol/L and mg/dl, but these days meters and CGM receivers are locked to mmol/L.

1 Like

@dughuze, unless your son is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, in Ontario he’s probably enrolled in the University Health Insurance Plan, which covers most but not all of what the provincial health insurance plan covers. So he won’t have to pay anything if he sees a doctor, has anything done in a hospital, or has doctor-ordered lab tests, or wants an eye exam once a year. But he’ll be shelling out for prescription drugs, dental, and other such luxuries. (There’s one exception to the prescription drugs: a particular abortion pill is covered. But not insulin which keeps you alive. Go figure.)

1 Like

Well, our insurance here for his brother and me has a $6000 per person in network deductible and a $9000 out of network deductible that encompasses prescriptions too. So, I would be laying out more in the US anyway.

If he gets pregnant, I wont let him take the abortion pill. Think of all the money we could make with the National Enquirer! :wink:

2 Likes

Wow. That is really high. I certainly hope your monthly premiums are super low so as to compensate !!!

1 Like

Do you think you can get around this with the X-drip app? Or the Dexcom phone app? I am not sure if the mmol/L mg/dl happens in the sender or the receiver.

1 Like

The two of us cost $900 per month total.

The price is for 1 transmitter. Dexcom will only sell you 1 transmitter at once here in Canada. They will only let you buy another one after something like 60?? days from your last purchase unless there are extenuating circumstances.

2 Likes

The G4 and G5 transmitters send info in mg/dl. The Canadian receiver, Clarity.eu website, and the Canadian dexcom app convert it into mmol/L. Xdrip is set however you want it to read in the app. However, for warranty purposes, if Dexcom Canada does not have a activation date (ie using a US dexcom app, xdrip or Spike app), your warranty will be limited to 90 days from shipment date.

1 Like