CGM challenge

Yeah I figured it might be helpful to see that occasional spikes all the way up to around 200 can be normal. It seems that blood sugar can certainly fluctuate fairly significantly even in people without diabetes. There are multiple studies to this effect, and the amount of variability often varies considerably between studies and even between subjects in the studies!

And I am working on the anxiety thing. My dad had lots of health problems and diabetes and died from coronary heart disease when he was only 41 so I think that’s what triggers my excessive worrying. It’s like whatever result I see on a health test I convince myself it’s bad. I have also obsessively checked blood pressure and been to the ER for chest pain (panic/anxiety induced) way too many times.

2 Likes

My heart goes out to you regarding your anxieties.

I am a Type 1 Diabetic and I know I am nervous about my children developing it. But I try to keep it in check because otherwise I’ll watch all of their behaviors/dietary choices/etc in a really unhealthy way.

So my personal chosen threshold for when to worry about their blood sugar is if they are wetting the bed or having to wake up multiple times a night to go the bathroom. If that happens, I’ll check their blood sugar. Otherwise, I suspect horses and not zebras, as the saying goes.

Maybe you can pick a threshold for when to allow yourself to check on things?

3 Likes

Yeah Allison I’m trying to stop checking it but health anxiety can be a pain. And I just got a few readings around 240 an hour after dinner so non diabetics can seriously spike!

EDIT: still 207 at 2 hrs.

Yeah So you may want to disregard these as truly normal, because at my recent doctors appt, he said that I may have an impaired glucose tolerance. Im going to be getting some tests done on me like c peptide and GAD antibodies in the coming weeks. My 1 hour readings have been in the 200-240 range over the last week or so with the 2 hour readings close to 200 sometimes. It looks like I may be joining the forum here as a diabetic rather than as an example of normal glucose readings. I just thought I should let everyone know that those readings may not have been normal after all.

1 Like