CGM alarms and partners - what's your experience?

Ha! Totally! And he does when he can (hence pumping versus 10 years before of MDI, being able to suspend the insulin is really helpful). But I would guess that maybe 50% of his waking hours are unplanned or have unexpected stuff crop up. That is the bummer about not exercising consistently - it’s really hard to plan for the diabetes.

Also, I think the basal changes and the I:C changes that we just did aren’t for the best. And we also think that the duration of insulin action is wrong, so stacking is happening more now than it should since he is using the pump to predict what to do most of the time. Will be working on this today!

3 Likes

Chris, new member here. Our T1 Daughter goes to college later this year. She sleeps through all alarms. I have been picturing the bed shaker idea as well. Anyluck with it yet?

3 Likes

@Dad2tara

Which cgm does your daughter have?
Is she on a pump also?

Dexcom G6 and Omnipod

I have had some luck in setting up a system that will do this, however, it is not as easy as I was hoping. When I have time I will put out more detail on the project. But for now I will describe what I did so you can follow. Better instructions to come later.

Dexcom Sensor with Share enabled
NightScout site on Heroku
IFTTT (If That Then This)
Internet enabled Outlet Plug
Plug Splitter
Light
Bed Shaker that rumbles whenever it is plugged in. i.e. no other controls on it.

We are still looking into how best to configure things so it acts the way we want.

I really wish Dexcom could integrate directly with IFTTT

3 Likes

@Chris, did you ever get anywhere with the bed shaker project? My mom is going hard looking for things to wake me up, and because I’m scared of what she might come up with, I’m trying to beat her to a solution…

1 Like

I have one of these for my phone and the associated bedshaker. I assume when I get a G6 it will work with this as understand the G6 has vibration alerts. Since my has pump never connected to my phone, the dog has been trained for years to alert to the pump alarms.

https://www.harriscomm.com/dreamzon-lighton-1e-black-cell-phone-signaler.html

https://www.harriscomm.com/dreamzon-lighton-bed-shaker.html

Oh, is that weird? :grimacing: This sentence was quite effective and funny.

@TravelingOn, I think your supportiveness is awesome. Any partner who is this involved in FUD is clearly awesome.

My husband followed my Dexcom for all of three days before we both threw in the towel. The number of false lows caused unnecessary concern shortly followed by complacency on all alerts, so for us it’s not productive. But I’m glad it helps you guys!

3 Likes

100% agree.

4 Likes