Can I make diluted insulin myself? Info on diluted insulin turning cloudy?

Hi @Hopper900,
I just checked tracking, and it looks like your package is still scheduled for delivery on Tuesday.
:crossed_fingers:

Not sure if that considers going through customs or not. Hopefully that won’t cause a big delay.

By the way, what’s your baby’s name?

3 Likes

Hi @Hopper900, I got your message. :slightly_smiling_face:

I posted the mixing instructions on a separate thread, just to make it easier to organize. Here is a link:

I hope you can share some pictures of little Henry with us. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

@Eric Thank you for sending those, you have helped us out of a tough situation!

Also thank you for the mixing write up!

11 Likes

Henry is adorable! :heart_eyes:

He’s one of my bebbies. Just like Liam and Carmela and Samson and Cody and Kaelan and many others. And even some of my slightly older bebbies, like DaisyMae. :smiley:

But I am pretty sure he’s the youngest one!

Whatever he needs, just let me know.

Also, it isn’t just “stuff”, but it’s also information and knowledge that sets FUD apart. So let’s get you setup with some of that too.

7 Likes

Preach @Eric , Preach! :pray:

4 Likes

@Hopper900 Henry is beautiful. We’ve all got his (and your) back. xoxo

3 Likes

Henry just looks happy and well adjusted despite that type 1 thang.

3 Likes

Hi @Hopper900,
UPS is showing that your package was left at your front porch today. It got hung up a day in customs.

Please let me know if it survived the trip okay. Thanks!

3 Likes

Received the package and everything looks great!

Thank you again Eric!

7 Likes

Hi @Hopper900. How is everything going? Has the diluting been working okay for you?

2 Likes

Hey Eric,

Yes it has, thank you again for sending me the diluent. Lilly Canada still does not have any Diluent in stock yet.

Take care!
Scott.

3 Likes

@Hopper900
How much do you have left?

1 Like

@Hopper900 Glad @Eric’s suggestion, supplies, and instructions worked out for you! The lack of diluent in Canada is baffling, albeit no more so than some of the US peculiarities. While I understand the need for ensuring the efficacy and validity of medicines, it sure seems the world could do with some common rules and regulations and enforcement of them…I suspect corporations both profit and suffer from the varying rules country to country…

2 Likes

Still on the first bottle of diluent, probably can get another vial or 2 out of it.

The glass vials you sent do leak abit after removing the syringe from the vial, which wastes some of the diluted insulin, the math shows I should get roughly 10 days out of a vial, but I’m currently only getting 5-6. I make 100 units of U-10 at a time, and he is using about 7-10 units of U-10 per day, so I’m losing about half of my diluted insulin when it leaks.

I have ordered some more empty vials from my local pharmacy, so hopefully the rubber stopper quality is better so I don’t lose as much moving forward.

2 Likes

@Hopper900,
I’m trying to remember what I send you and when. Was it 3 vials?

Just wondering how much time you have left with your supply. Can you give me an estimate, because I am working on something for you. Not sure when/if I can get it, but if I do, I can hopefully cover you for a while.

1 Like

It was two packs, with x5 3ml vials in each, x10 3ml vials total.

Using the same vials I would have 100 days left, If I can find vials that dont leak after each time, It would last 200 days.

2 Likes

Was it 5 vials of diluent? Because the diluent vials are 10ml, not 3ml.

Please keep me up-to-date. If things don’t get resolved for you, I will take care of it.

1 Like

Hi @Hopper900,
One other thing that may help. If you keep the mixing vials under negative pressure, that will help reduce the leakage.

It’s pretty simple. You basically have less air inside the vial. That means the vial is always trying to suck contents back into the vial instead of letting it seep out.

So when you start, take out an extra 1/2 ml (50 units) of air from the mixing vial. That gives it a slight vacuum inside the vial to start.

Then after that, always put in a slight bit less air into the vial than insulin you take out. That keeps the vial under a small bit of negative pressure, and will help reduce the amount of leakage.

Does that all make sense?

3 Likes

Sorry, I was talking about the empty vials you sent. There were x2 packs with x5 3ml vials in them.

The diluent, you sent x3 10ml vials of that.

Just to clarify its not the diluent vials that leak, its the empty vials.

I will keep you updated, thanks!

2 Likes

Thats actually a great idea, thank you, i will try that

2 Likes