Buying insulin in Canada: Costco is cheapest source

I wasn’t aware of this either, they won’t even let me in the store without showing my card! I did just learn that Costco does not operate pharmacies in Quebec though due to their laws (la belle province always does things differently than the rest of Canada).

2 Likes

Just was on the Costco’s website and there are several in Quebec including near Montreal that include pharmacies.
https://www.costco.ca/warehouse-locations/marche-central-montreal-qc-527.html

2 Likes

So for the Echo she would have to get this in the states, then the refills in Canada will fit if?

1 Like

Yes. We use Echo pens, and actually have some Canadian insulin we bought there for it. We love this pen!

Of course US insulin works as well :slight_smile:

But US insulin costs so much more!

1 Like

Ditto with the US version. I did this for about six months before breaking down and getting a Costco card. I figured if I was in there I might as well do my shopping too. :joy:

Often when too lazy to find my card as I enter (because I’m generally the one with chemical soaked hands since I’ve just obsessively swabbed down my shopping cart) I say “pharmacy” and keep walking.

1 Like

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: How to order G6 and other Dexcom supplies from Costco

This rebate is a US-only thing, too. This thread is mostly about Costco in Canada. To my knowledge, you cannot buy any Dexcom supplies at Canadian Costcos, and also Canadian Dexcom supplies have very few special discounts or sales compared to the US. (Also, the G6 won’t be available here for the next year or so.)

@Jen, you are right, sorry. I moved the preceding posts to the other Costco thread.

I am not sure, I will ask the next time I am in the store.

Looks like G6 approved now in Canada.
But says available late 2019.

1 Like

It is approved, but they’re saying it won’t be available until late 2019 (which to me means more like early 2020 before people can actually get it). And then Basal-IQ could be well into 2020 before it gets approved. Meanwhile, you in the US will probably have been using Control-IQ for a year or so at that point… So I’m thinking I’m just going to wait and re-evaluate everything in 2021 or so, by which point Tandem, Insulet, and Medtronic will all hopefully have new pumps coming out.

It doesn’t say who owns the Costco pharmacy, and it may in fact be a subsidiary of Costco, but this is how they characterize the pharmacy:

Ancillary Businesses
Costco refers to several types of businesses as ancillary, including gasoline stations, pharmacies, optical and hearing aid centers, and travel.

On the plus side, while we twiddle our thumbs in the snow, we’ll be getting familiar with all the problems and workarounds before things get released here.

Yes, that is very true!

Though no snow for me. The rest of Canada can keep that!

1 Like

No Costco membership is needed for US Costco pharmacies. There are caveats though, such as the CMPP mentioned on other threads which is needed to purchase G6s @ cash cost.

1 Like

Any experience crossing into Winnipeg for Costco purchasing Lantus solostar pens? Victoza? Freestyle Libre sensors?

1 Like

Nope, I live in Toronto, which is a long way from Winterpeg, but I can’t imagine there would be much difference from here. Call ahead and make sure they have what you want in stock. Pharmacies just started selling Libre sensors, they were only available online until recently, so again, call ahead is my only advice.

2 Likes

A number of folks have successfully purchased insulin of all types in Canada. No prescription needed. Be aware that each pharmacy only has so much in stock, so as @Scotteric mentions, call ahead.

1 Like

Many thanks and to @scotteric also!

1 Like