Bolusing, Foods and their effects on BG...and yes I am a chicken and may be over reacting to my lows

Depending on what your bg was before the meal started, that may have been pretty perfect as a bolus for that meal. Assuming it was in the 80-90 range, I think you nailed that meal. Although if you don’t want to eat the cheese, you could start decreasing that amount a little. Good test.

As far as worrying about the pen being inaccurate with less than one unit, you should not worry about that. I did a test on a scientific balance and assuming you prime your needle the pens, both the cheap looking plastic ones and the nicer replaceable cartridge pens are suprisingly accurate in their dosing even down the the lowest dose you can dial in.

2 Likes

I experience this, too. Even with juice or glucose tablets it will take a half hour to produce results. If I want to correct when I am just in my 60s, though, I can eat some chocolate, which really takes about 45 minutes to kick in.

3 Likes

I can see results pretty fast, within 10 to 15 minutes.
Today, after 2 hours of lunch I was at 68 and I ate 3 medium sized strawberries for about 5 g carbs and this raised my BG about 20-25 units which is adequate, within 15 minutes. I chose strawberries rather than glucose tablets because it was 2 hours and I didn’t have much insulin on board and my insulin peaks between 1.5 to 2 hours.

2 Likes

Eggplant lasagna. Homemade tomato sauce with ground turkey. Much lower carb than the traditional wheat pasta version. There was quite a bit of fat; but it was ok to bolus. Went up to 151 briefly, hovered around 120. Next day fasting 60. Yeah…I don’t understand this. For two days, I’ve had fasting at 60, 68. Maybe I’ll reduce my basal by 1 unit. I felt fine at 60. It must have been a slow steady decline.

3 Likes

Good plan.

3 Likes

This past week, I “reverted” to a lower carb way of eating. It’s been easier and, I feel less ravenously hungry. When I was eating more carbs, I was actually feeling more hungry. It’s weird. I don’t know why. My I:C ratio is closer to 1:9, 1:10 now that I’m taking in about 20 g for Lunch and Dinner. I was more insulin resistant when I consumed ~40g carbs for L and D consistently. It is “easier” in some ways to eat lower carb. I can throw in a few cheat items for a cheat meal or cheat day.

2 Likes

Glad you have found something that is easier for you. This is why my son consistently eats approximately 100 carbs a day. He is fine with the food choices and it is easier.

1 Like

This is why I eat less than 15 grams carbs per day. Not to mention the incredible improvement it’s made on multiple chronic inflammatory processes I have (Lupus related) as well as returning my BP to healthy norms.

3 Likes