BG impacts of minor surgery?

So I just had a minor (out-patient) surgery. Removal of lipoma (fatty growth) from shoulder. Fairly common, not genetic, about 1/5 of people have one according to the surgeon. I’ve had it for ten years or so, and only having it removed because we met our deductible for the first time ever, so I’m doing all the medical stuff I typically put off. Sutures will be removed in 10 days, other than that and tylenol if needed (I don’t think it will be), and not lifting with that arm, not much to add. But since this is my first surgery ever, I’m curious if anyone has noticed any BG impacts from surgery like this? So far it may be making my BG lower than typical, but too early to tell with only a few hours since the surgery. What have others noticed?

5 Likes

Glad you are getting the care you need and on the mend.

2 Likes

I have had numerous out patient surgeries, without noticeable changes to BG. Except when steroids are used, so I always ask about what meds are used during or after for pain relief.

Also make sure meds don’t include Tylenol, since I use dexcom G4.

2 Likes

I’ve only ever noticed the effects of poor BG control on the outcome of surgery— which sounds like the opposite of what you’re asking? High blood sugar has led to poor healing in my experience, but beyond that, I don’t believe I’ve ever noticed that the surgery itself affected my blood sugar. I’ve probably had 20 legitimate surgeries, of which 6 were major.

Hope you heal well and recover quickly!

2 Likes

Wrote the above about two hours after surgery, apparently still totally numbed out. Some pain now about five hours after surgery; if it doesn’t get much worse I’ll be OK without Tylenol. I never take Tylenol, preferring aspirin, but he told me not to take aspirin since it thins blood. I don’t use CGM so that’s not a problem.

BG was perfect during surgery, but trending low afterwards, but that sometimes happens on Mondays after an active weekend (I ran 10K and moved all the furniture and other stuff I wouldn’t be able to move once the surgery was done). BG now trending up a bit in late afternoon, which is normal, so seems like a typical day.

(gross alert) Mass was on top of shoulder. I told him I wasn’t going to watch, he said it was OK as long as one of us was watching. When he was through he asked me if I wanted to see - and so I turned to look - it looked like a scene from Alien or the Matrix - forceps holding a white mass with red threads dangling off it about the size of a ping pong ball. He got the response he was hoping for. I told him I was glad he didn’t offer to put it in a bottle for me.

2 Likes

Thanks for the gory details. I have a cyst on my back shoulder that is getting more bothersome and painful, and thinking about surgery to remove. Even watched some YouTube videos, and now I’m not so sure !!

3 Likes

Dude. Wow. I would’ve lost it! I literally wore a blindfold and earplugs to my last surgery (which was with local anesthetic) and made them clean the entire room up before I took the blindfold off.

EH has had a number of minor surgeries to remove melanoma and he’s healed adequately afterwards - probably would’ve been better if he had better control/lower overall BG. Shrug.

Also if you feel like there’s any hint of infection (fever, redness spreading from the site, smells bad) go in sooner rather than later and get it looked at. Especially since you met your deductible! :rofl:

4 Likes

@jag1, how are you doing post surgery? And what did you see on BG later on?

1 Like

I realized the night after surgery that I had forgotten a traditional human pain-killer: alcohol! I rarely drink, but had a bottle of wine with dinner and didn’t need any Tylenol :slight_smile: After that first night it has just been sore, so no pain killers needed. Its still covered with the large bandage, but lack of pain or visible bleeding makes me believe it is healing fine.

My BG are pretty normal. I’m using typical bolus and basal rates. It seems like I am a bit more insulin sensitive than normal, so the insulin I’m taking is putting me somewhat low after meals and forcing me to eat a bit more carb than typical. But as with everything diabetes, it is almost impossible to necessarily attribute that to the surgery, since other things have changed too - namely I’m less active than normal (need to refrain from exercise for 10 days). Surprising that this could make me more insulin sensitive, but I may find this trend changes in a couple days once my lack of exercise really takes hold.

All in all, I’d say that I’m seeing no big changes to BG directly attributable to the surgery, similar to MM2’s report.

6 Likes

@jag1 I’m so glad to hear that you’re recovering well!

I’ve read where alcohol lowers blood sugar. This might be why you’re noticing an increase in insulin sensitivity.

You might be interested in this too … the first glucometer was designed for ER docs to know why a patient was unconscious.

Blockquote
I came upon an advertisement for a new device to help hospital emergency rooms distinguish between unconscious diabetics and unconscious drunks during the night, when laboratories were closed. Bernstein, Richard K… Dr. Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars (p. xviii). Little, Brown and Company. Kindle Edition.

Dr. Bernstein’s website is:

3 Likes

Thanks, that’s a very good point. As I said, it is almost impossible to vary only one variable when living a real life, so that is another thing that was different - a whole bottle of wine with dinner is definitely not typical for me, but it did put me to sleep feeling no pain!

Thanks, I have the Bernstein book and have read it. I don’t agree with his diet, but I have found that he has some worthwhile advice because of his many years living with diabetes. For example his book is the first place I saw references to intramuscular insulin injection to speed insulin action. Not something I use very often, but can be useful.

4 Likes