Autism Book & Movie Recommendation

So, not diabetes related. But related to peeps here on FUD.

I’m reading a book which I thought I might share here in case anyone might find it helpful. It’s written by a 13-year-old boy with autism and it’s fascinating. I know some folks here have family members/kiddos with autism, so I thought I would pass it along. I think the following line has made me want to share this book with everyone I know “True compassion is about not bruising the other person’s self-respect.” :heartpulse:

The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism https://www.amazon.com/dp/081298515X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_xpffDbQXBZPPT

I can also recommend the movie Far From the Tree, which is a documentary about children who grow up in ways their parents might’ve hoped otherwise, but who turn into fulfilled individuals despite their parent’s concerns. It’s not completely about autism, but there’s a segment about a family with a son with non-verbal autism, and how they help him to communicate using a method similar to the author in the above book, and it’s stunning.

Here’s an article about the family in the film:

6 Likes

That’s very nice of you, @TravelingOn. I’ll check them out. :heart:

1 Like

I’ve started reading “the reason I jump” several times but have gotten sidetracked each time. (I start a lot more books than I finish

I did finish “look me in the eye” which is a pretty awesome story of a kid on the spectrum who ended up being the special effects engineer for the band Kiss and going on tour with them… two unbelievably different worlds colliding… found it awesome

1 Like

Cool! You folks, I was thinking of you. And maybe as an outsider/not parent I just think the jumping book is amazing is because I don’t spend my days around someone on the spectrum/a non verbal person.