AndroidAPS and Open Looping on an Omnipod

In the App Find the PRE purple checkmark on the top left. You have to be in open loop for it to do the calculations.

In Nightscout you can turn off the AR2 predictions and turn on the OpenAPS predictions.

3 Likes

Thanks @Aaron, I got it to work.

3 Likes

Hi,
I am wondering if I need to download nightscout if I have xdrip+.

@Jillap Hi @Jillap. What I do is just print the 60 and 90 day stats, so six screens. The endo is very happy with these and if he needs any further info my phone is right there.

And Welcome!

Thank you! I want to try open looping, so I don’t need nightscout for that?

No - you do not need nightscout for open looping with AndroidAPS. It talks directly to xdrip+ to get BG data. I am not sure if transfers the carb inputs direcly, but that should jot be a big deal.

I use Nightscout for data logging and to sync carb data between xdrip+ and Android APS.

Edit: when I go camping and am out of cell phone coverage AndroidAPS works just fine without a connection to Nightscout. I just have to remember enter carbs and boluses into AndroidAPS and not into xdrip+.

1 Like

Sorry for all the questions but… I can’t find where to download AndroidAPS.
Thank you for your help!!

It’s a project. Instrctions are here:

Looks difficult but it’s actually quite easy. And you should look around the github project, there’s a lot of good info.

Thank you! I am very new to all this and not tech savy :slight_smile: I will have to try to figure this out.
Thanks agin!!

Sorry to keep bothering you but when I go into AndroidAPS I do not have the Git toption then the Clone option under VCS. How do I get that in there??

Actually, I only very briefly tried Android APS. I don’t even use a pump having been on MDI for 48 years.

Hopefully one of our members who has used Android APS can chime in.

1 Like

Good question. I have to get to my computer to try to replicate the problem which will take a couple of days.

There is an AndroidAPS help group on facebook that can get you answers quicker for troubleshooting technical problems. The group is “androidAPS users”

I can help with using part of things anytime.

Hello Aaron.

If it doesn’t bother you I have some questions and concerns about xdrip + androidaps + nightscout + omnipod in a system.

I finally managed to be able to buy an omnipod and pads.It’s on the way and I started to test the system I wrote a bit upper.

Can I contact you for some tutoring / guidance ?

thank you

1 Like

@bulgariuv Sorry to not respond sooner.

Go ahead and ask your questions. If you have general questions, then ask them in the forum so other people can learn too. If you have specific questions, feel free to send a direct message .

Just so you know, AndroidAPS does not automatically control the Omnipod (yet***). You select “Virtual Pump” for the pump type in AndroidAPS and then you manually have to enter the suggested basal rates into the Omnipod PDM. So it is not really all that automatic.

I used AndriodAPS more to track total insulin on board (the Omnipod PDM only tracks the bolus on board - if you use a temp basal or a suspend you have no idea how much your total IOB really is) and to predict blood glucose based on carbs and insulin. xdrip does BG predictions but you can’t select the insulin type (I use FIASP and I find that AndroidAPS does a better prediction job than xdrip)

AndroidAPS also gives temp basal suggestions that I use that as an alarm for me to look to see if I need to make a correction of some sort. Generally I just either bolus if I am going to go high or temp basal if I am going low.

***Controlling the Omnipod remotely from a Mobile Phone + a RileyLink (a bridge between Bluetooth and the radio frequency that the omnipod uses) is still in development. The developers have mostly working program and are able to control PODs from their phones, but a lot of testing is still required. It sounds like “Loop” will be the first APS program that will be ready. AndroidAPS is longer off. THis applies to the old non-DASH pods.

TidepoolLoop is working with Omnipod to use their APS algorithm with the DASH system (DASH=new bluetooth pods that are controlled with an dedicated Android phone based PDM). This “official” APS may be earlier than the non-official one.

6 Likes

Totally awesome! Thanks Aaron. is there anywhere we can watch the progress of Omnipod and the various loop options?

Thank you for replying.

I do have a lot of questions starting from basics to specific ones.I don’t mind posting them here but I’ll have to write the novel first…

Just so we talk the same language you self-compiled the apk from the source code, right?
For testing I used the already made apk in github but something feels weird about it.I do thing there are some bugs maybe…it does not run in the background ( all the permissions given and battery related stuff -> it only updates when I am watching the dasboard on my phone screen ), it does not make suggestions based on the NS profile ( basal, bolus and so on) or notifications, it does not show anything in the “food” field and some other things.

But I think it would be way better to self-compile the source code, no?

Most certainly I will have a lot of dumbass questions.

I already use virtual pump but I am not very sure for all the settings I should input in the app to make it link with NS 100%.

I am am aware of the Omnipod limitations and research in the closed loop field.
But sadly I can’t rely on something I don’t 101% understand to take such drastic decisions for me.And APS is something a bit hard to understand ( at least for me ) with all the options and variables in there.
Too bad there isn’t a user manual to fully explain each option / field as I was only able to find the installation documentation.

Now don’t get me wrong I think APS is extraordinary for existing and as a possibility but still risky without thorough testing

So can you please put some initial installation settings here?
Do you use NS also? Does it link ok with APS?

Hi @bpollina - there is a “Slack” channel where updates are sometimes posted by developers, although, I think most of the read work is happening elsewhere. (99.999% of the people on the channel are not contributing :slight_smile:)

@bulgariuv - I will try to answer…
I complied my own APK from the source code using Android Studio. I am running on a Samsung Galaxy S5. I am running a version from last year but I generally followed these instructions from the wiki. I do not see a big benefit to compiling from source code.

https://androidaps.readthedocs.io/en/latest/EN/Installing-AndroidAPS/Building-APK.html

Pre-compiled APKs have recently become available here if you want to try those.

I used to use NS but I gave up about 6 months ago becasue I was not using it. I had to dev version of NS for AndriodAPS to work. I switched over to using Tidepool for data (there is an xdrip setting to upload to Tidepool). I do not have any followers so no reason for me to use NS.

Android APS is based on the openAPS oref0 algorthim (basically it is an Android version of OpenAPS). Although they may be working on oref1 as I may be behind. In order to understand what is going on, I read through the openAPS manual. From a control system perspective it is a very simple algorithm - I liken it to a simple model predictive controller that predicts BGs based on Insulin on board and carbs on board and then selects at temp basal to correct the BG into the range based on a timeframe. Here is the link:

https://openaps.org/reference-design/

To really figure it out, I looked at the openAPS source code on github and wrote out all the equations to see the actual formulas. In AndroidAPS, you can enable a tab called “OPENAPS AMA” which shows all of the calculation results which starts to make things make sense.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply.

What do you mean by “I had to dev version of NS” ?

In the last version of androidaps I can’t find anywhere “OPENAPS AMA”…?!?

Even if I get predictions in xdrip I am not seeing anything in androidaps.Not the app’s own predictions not the linked xdrip ones.

Also in my NS page the openaps pill shows unknown, any clue about that, did it happen to you?

Thanks.

@bulgariuv In AndroidAPS, under Config Builder, scroll down to APS, and tick OpenAPS AMA.

Hi @bulgariuv

On the config tab there is section called “APS”. If you click the checkbox on the right side (for the APS you are using) you will get a tab for the APS that shows all of the parameters.

For nightscout setup with Android APS here is the link. When I said dev, that was old news. Dev was a build veraion. It looks like it just needs to be greatee than version 0.10.

https://androidaps.readthedocs.io/en/latest/EN/Installing-AndroidAPS/Nightscout.html

1 Like