An Uneventful Diagnosis

I’ve heard of people developing problems with their eyes and then having the progression stop once their diabetes was more tightly controlled. Do you feel like this happened with you? Meaning, do you think your control became much tighter around 30 years ago? If not, to what do you attribute the lack of progression?

Also, thanks for sharing your story :slight_smile:

1 Like

My control has definitely became tighter over the years, so it’s possible (or probable) that has helped, but it did not happen 30 years ago. I would say that my management has been much better over the past 5-7 years. Before that it was just average (not terrible, but not great). I also think that certain people are more susceptible to certain complications. All you can do is try your best.

2 Likes

I suppose I just picture people with detailed logbooks as exceptionally well-controlled because it must take so much time to do that!!! I’m glad that your microaneurisms in your eyes haven’t progressed- and hopefully the logbooks and careful attention you pay to your diabetes will keep it that way.
We were both diagnosed at the same age! Hopefully I will also not have any major medical issues when I’ve had diabetes as long as you :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is a difference between logging the data and knowing what to do with the data. I think it was only in later years that I became better at taking action based on what I saw.

I actually have an appointment with my ophthalmologist tomorrow morning for my regular checkup. Wish me luck!

3 Likes

Good luck! Hoping for the best news :smile:

2 Likes

@Lisa

I don’t know how this thread escaped me, but looking at it now I’m absolutely amazed at the log book that you kept. If nothing else it was certainly a valuable lesson in organization! Very impressive.

I was diagnosed at 19, being very fortunate to have escaped the D beast during childhood. This was in 1971. I tested my urine occasionally but kept no record of it.

When I was diagnosed I was pretty much left on my own. I had gotten Regular and Lente insulin, injection instructions and a pat on the back.

I figured out the dosages myself based on duration curves and it seemed to work ok.

Doctor visits were infrequent and seemed to be not much more than a normal healthy doctor visit.

I’m sure my average Bg in those days was >200, but probably not excessively or dangerously high. Good control did not really come about until about 12 years ago when I started using a Dexcom, had basal and analog insulin, and learned carb counting.

My first A1c was in the 8+ range, I quickly got it down to the 5.5-6.5 range and have kept it there. I’m still learning how to better control my Bg.

Thankfully I have had no complications (other than 1 DKA and several critical lows). I can only attribute that to luck and a very attentive wife.

It’s amazing to me how different we all are!

4 Likes

@docslotnick I agree. We have all had different experiences based on so many factors. I am happy that even though we both have had T1D for so long that we don’t have much in terms of complications. I think that growing up in the period that we did, without much in terms of tools, has given me a very different perspective than those being diagnosed today. Part of me is glad that I went through those years of one injection per day and urine testing - gave me less to stress about!

1 Like