Adhd

So I have definitely struggled with ADHD my whole life, but had a sibling whose affected them way more so I was never diagnosed until adulthood.

But when I was 18 (dx9yrs) we went to take me to get testing for learning disabilities. The doc that tested me for ADHD diagnosed me with “ADHD due to unctrolled diabetes” because my sugar was high the day we went in. (To be fair I was on day 3 of testing and having to be around my mother whom also stresses me out to the max, so high sugar explained but whatever).

I saw my peds endo shortly after And was actually one of my last two appointments with her. I told her about it and she laughed and told me I just have ADHD. That I wasn’t uncontrolled and had better control than many of her patients and some of the t1 docs in the practice.

So one question is, has anyone else ever been told they have ADHD due to uncontrolled diabetes?

Another is, don’t you guys wish everyone in the medical field (including mental/mental health) were more educated on diabetes and what can affect sugars??? Drives me bonkers sometimes having a) misdiagnoses or people telling me things are just due to the betes, but also b) having to EXPLAIN things to people that should already know imo. It makes me want to get into diabetes education, but at the same time I struggle with school :dizzy_face:

3 Likes

I dont know about ASHD specifically but I sure have had dealings with members of the medical profession who are clueless about diabetes…sadly several of them are employed as diabetes educators , but also gp’s, surgeons, er doctors, Triage nurses at the er…etc not sure my endo even fully understands my type of diabetes . I think the field of diabetes education would be well served by more folks like you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have not heard of this correlation before, but found below article interesting.

There is also suggestion of connection between diabetes (high BG) and Alzheimer’s in other articles.

YES!!!

4 Likes

We were lucky at the beginning of our diabetes journey by our pediatric endo’s office only hiring diabetes educators who either were Type 1 themselves or whose child was a type 1. That meant that we only got pretty good information, and when we ventured into more interesting areas, we were told that what we were thinking about was a little crazy, but that we should report back our results. I shudder to think where we would have been with all the crazy information out there given my medical professionals. So glad we got a little lucky, and then shortly after diagnosis found this amazing group of people.

5 Likes