A far-out idea about tracking infusion/ dexcom sites?

Before I discuss it with my wife, I thought I would ask you all to bang on this idea and see if it can be debunked :slight_smile:

We have a difficult time keeping track of Dexcom sites (and now Pod sites) over the long cycle that I consider necessary (8 weeks? 12 weeks?). The hardest part of it all is being repeatable when you go back to a location of reference, and rotate, or flip the location to a new point. How are you able to go back to a repeatable reference point? There is always a lot of doubt. For us, we do not have many choices of location for each (Pod and Dexcom), due to the many constraints imposed by the sports my son practices. So our locations must be precise – but they are not :slight_smile:

My far out idea: what if we tattooed a few tiny reference points in very faint ink, maybe 2-3 very small, faint dots on his skin, in the areas where he can site Pods or Dexcom sensors? Here are the pros:

• it would give us a very good location of reference;

• if we choose the ink well, and make the dots very small, the points should be barely noticeable - yet enough for us;

• if we pick the right place, it will not be hazardous to his health;

• we can bribe him to be happy about doing it.

So what do you think? Idiocy or genius?

Our process is very straight forward. We use a log book (regular spiral notebook), and we label every change so that we know exactly what we did, where we put it, and it serves to quickly remind me (even at 3AM) where the next POD / CGM needs to go. Here’s an image with descriptions of our process.

Not sure about your wife, but mine wouldn’t even consider letting me get our son tattooed. Things you need to consider with this is that he’s still growing, so those dots are going to move as he grows. The dots will fade over time, and is it something that he’s OK with having on his body? If you guys agree to it then rock on!

Sometimes we go two passes over the upper and side thighs because there’s a lot more real estate on Liam’s chunky legs than there is on his upper buttocks and sometimes he needs more healing time back there.

PODS always go on thighs and buttocks and, for us CGM always alternates from left to right biceps.

3 Likes

Think about the long term, will a one-time bribe have a lifelong effect or will you need to bribe him for the rest of his life to make sure resentment doesn’t prevail?

1 Like

Not directly to your question but…

We don’t worry that much about Dexcom sites. We do try to move the infusion site and not re-use the same infusion site within a reasonable period of time.

Based on conversation with our Endo who said there is a significant difference between the Dexcom sensor and the infusion and basically to stay focused on the infusion site moving.

3 Likes

We just move in a clockwise fashion. Nothing to write down. Visually observe before inserting of course.

3 Likes

I would say it is not idiocy, but I don’t think it is needed either. With the infusion sites I think moving around is desirable. i.e. if it is 2 cm from the last time you used that spot, I think that is actually desireable.

For the Dexcom sites, we only use two, (left tricep and right tricep). After a few weeks, we can still see a faint red dot from the previous insertion, so if we wanted to hit the same spot we could.

2 Likes

Do you really think a couple of faint 1mm dots would be a problem for him in later years? I am really curious to know. If I felt it might I would never suggest it.

I figure I would not care at all if it was me: the only time it would be seen was when going bare torso or wearing a tanktop.

Honestly Michel, the dots can be so small as to be almost unnoticeable. I would assume the bigger problem would be him using his “tats” to get street cred with the ladies at school. Also, you would probably rocket into the stratosphere of “cool” parents for allowing him to get tattooed. Be sure you can handle the adulation before you agree.

4 Likes

No, I was exaggerating. Though I wouldn’t try bribing him if he doesn’t like tattoos. But I’m biased because I don’t like tattoos and wouldn’t appreciate it if anybody tried to convince me to get a tattoo. @Chris’s scenario may be more realistic with most kids today.

3 Likes

I love tattoos but I’ve never gotten one because I’ve never seen or envisioned one that I wouldn’t mind having on my body for the rest of my life. Recently, I have thought about getting tattoos that represent the struggles my children have gone through…a cancer ribbon for my oldest son, a realistic pump or CGM to represent Liam, the rainbow infinity sign to represent autism that one of my sons has, something to represent the loss of a grandchild…things that MATTER in my life. My wife thinks these are good ideas so I may move to get one for each. But before I’ve had these ideas recently, the first 44 years of my life, even including my Military service, I just never saw, or envisioned, a tattoo that I would want on my body for the rest of my life.

3 Likes

@ClaudnDaye I wouldn’t try to talk you out of something you’re really considering. I know you love and support your kids and family. :relaxed:

But I will tell you that as person with struggles in her life, and a supporter of a PWD, I don’t know if I would want to be reminded everyday, all day of aforementioned struggles. If I had to look at EH and see MY struggles permanently applied to his body, it would make me a little sad.

We recently had a conversation about codependency (which we both are a little) and how it can be a healthy amount or an unhealthy amount. I suppose being reminded of my struggles would have two sides - I know he loves me and supports me, but it also doesn’t let me be unlimited and/or forget about it for a moment.

My two cents, which I welcome you to disregard. :wink:

5 Likes

@Michel, you are being thoughtful about how to approach dealing with a young adult. Since my two kids are already turning 20 soon and over 26, I can weigh in and say that on some days, I felt and can still feel as if I cannot do anything right by them; and on other days, I am golden - their savior. If you and your son agree that it is a good solution, providing more benefits than any potential complications, then go for it. :slight_smile:

1 Like