14 hours without insulin... what could you expect to happen?

So I don’t really want to admit to one of the stupidest things I’ve done as a diabetic…but for the shared experience I’ll raise my dummy flag as inspiration to others here…

In 2013, I’d had my second kiddo in June while on MDI. Postpartum, everything was topsy turvy blood sugar wise for a variety of reasons (some still unclear). My endo at the time, whom I liked very much although I questioned his real expertise on diabetes, suggested splitting my Lantus dose into two injections 12 hours apart to try to deal with my crazy 2AM lows…or moving my nightly Lantus injection to the morning. So I moved it to the morning. And that helped exactly not at all…and seemed to make some aspects worse. So I talked to him again and he said to just move it back to my nighttime injection time. I asked how to do that and he said to just move it a few hours at a time over the course of a week. Well, I didn’t want to do it that way and cue the pandemonium.

I don’t have my blood sugar binders from that time anymore, so I can’t quote the timing and bg’s exactly, but it still sticks in my head pretty firmly. I believe I tried to limp my body without Lantus for about a 12 hour period, making up the difference with Humalog shots in between. That would work in theory if I had been more on top of it up front. I was doing watchful waiting to take Humalog doses, which was very very wrong. I never got out of the low 400’s…ever…but I got the full-on Bath and Body Works lotion breath and realized, holy cow, this is bad news. So I called my endo, explained what I’d done, he was somewhat outraged and said I might be able to get it under control with tons of water and lots of Humalog…but I might have to go to ER to get IV fluids. I kept at it the rest of the afternoon (was probably 8 hours into the “experiment” at this point), but it was not recoverable. I was too dehydrated. My heart rate was showing the effects as well as the ketone sticks. I went to the ER, got rehydrated, got onto my normal Lantus timing, and it all recovered. But it was SO stupid.

Interesting take-aways for me…I’m very bad at problem-solving why my car smells like crazy strong fruity lotion when I never wear lotion. That’s your body freaking out, dummy! :grinning: Also…being in bad shape from a hydration/heart rate/ketone standpoint didn’t translate (yet) into numbers any higher than low 400’s. Granted, low 400’s are terrible and I’ve never seen anything higher than 450 in my 12 years as T1D (I’m sure I’m lucky in that), but I would have thought my numbers would have been higher for how badly my body was doing.

4 Likes