What Would You Do?

So I pre-bolused for an apple and almond butter (2.5u), which will be fully active in about 10 minutes. But 10 minutes ago, my hubby called and is bringing home burgers and fries for lunch. :yum: He won’t be home before my insulin is active. I’m generally very careful with dosing, so I’ve never actually run into this situation before. For future reference…

What would you do? Eat/drink to deal with the 2.5us on board and just add more for the meal when it comes? Eat a small sugary something initially just to keep from dropping, then follow with food when it arrives?

2 Likes

Please know that I have more questions than answers, so this could be a really bad idea… but can you just keep a little juice or sugar tabs on hand and try to wait it out?? You could always take a little something if you’re draining too fast??

1 Like

I’ve been in similar situations before. I’d bolus extra (assuming it’s needed) just prior to eating the meal when it arrives. About the IOB, keep the Smarties or whatever candy handy, to stay out of hypo

1 Like

I would probably nibble on a little bit of carbs just to keep from going low and then follow with more insulin if needed when the burgers and fries arrive!

2 Likes

Eat whatever you were planning to eat then bolus again and eat the stuff he’s bringing home. Check bg as needed, you’ll be ok

3 Likes

What did you wind up doing? How did it go?

Thanks for all of the suggestions. @TravelingOn, heh, well, I was alone with the sleeping baby, so I ate more than I normally would have (yay for dessert before lunch?), which actually worked out because they messed up my order, so I couldn’t eat it. :slightly_frowning_face: Ended up not eating til later that afternoon when we were finally able to get back out.

1 Like

Oh no! I’m glad it worked out that you didn’t eat it and get sick though! And that it worked out that you didn’t go too low!

We tend to go with the fly-by-the-seat-of-our-pants method of injecting and eating…add more later if whatever showed up was bigger/sugary than expected. Doesn’t always work. And sometimes with prebolusing, the food is slower to come out. That’s happened a lot lately - Eric just asks for 2 ounces of Coke. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thankfully it was a visible mistake - it was GF, but they forgot about the no cheese (can’t have due to a celiac “complication”). My kids enjoyed splitting that burger later. :wink:

I miss sodas…and yet every time I take a sip now, I’m grossed out by how sweet they are (and yet the unsweetened sparkling waters aren’t sweet enough, ha)! Since I use Afrezza while out, I never have to worry about pre-bolusing, so I always drink water.

2 Likes