What should I consider when choosing a pump?

It would be interesting to know how German health care handles the newer Omnipod systems. Insulet has setup the infrastructure to not lock into a 4 year warranty cycle, so you can jump in and out of their system.

2 Likes

Thanks for all your help, everyone!

I sent off an email to my diabetes clinic this afternoon with my choice: the t:slim! They seem to think I’ll be able to get it and the Dexcom G6 in the next month or two!

I’ve heard the same from others on here. Is Lyumjev approved for the t:slim in other countries or is it being used off-label? I have no problem doing things off-label as long as my endo will prescribe it.

This played a big role in my decision making. I haven’t seen many Ypso users on this forum or others, so I’d be troubleshooting alone if I went with Ypso. With t:slim, I’ll have many other users with years of experience to get t:slim-specific tips and tricks from.

I’m not sure on this. I wasn’t interested in a tubeless pump, so we didn’t talk about Omnipod much in my appointment.

4 Likes

Unfortunately I have no knowledge about how it is prescribed in other countries.
I know that Fiasp clogs up the Tandem cartridges. I would get 1.5 to 2 days tops before I had issues.
Lyumjev has no issues at all in the pump. I have even refilled a couple cartridges when I had some issues getting supplies.
Only real gripe with using Lyumjev in the Tandem pump is that when on Control-IQ, you cannot change the TIME for how how it thinks insulin is active for. And Lyumjev has a much shorter time under the curve for me. (I can change the time with the Omnipod5, but the O5 is not nearly as aggressive as I want it to be. Mainly for basals.)

Sorry, by ‘other countries’, I meant the US, or wherever you and others Lyumjev/t:slim users are. Are you using Lyumjev off-label or is it approved for t:slim where you are?

It could be that the inability to change the insulin duration in the pump is why Lyumjev isn’t approved here in Germany.

Tandem pumps and cartridges are only indicated for use with Novolog and Humalog U-100 insulins. — This is from their website.

My Endo has zero issues giving the prescription for Lyumjev for whatever pump I have though. So I haven’t really stopped to think about it too much.

2 Likes

Glad you made a decision and are moving forward! Hope it works great for you!

1 Like

Thanks Tom! I’m pretty excited.

1 Like