FUDiabetes

What Is the Weirdest Thing Your Endo Has Said?

What is the weirdest D or non-D thing your endo has said?

Just had my quarterly endo appointment. He spent a not insignificant amount of time discussing what technology would have to be invented in order to do a remote rectal exam on an astronaut in space.

10 Likes

Holy hell you lived a charmed and interesting life. I feel insignificant in comparison. The weirdest conversation was when my son asked me to stop talking about research papers with the endo. Apparently we geeked out and spent most of HIS endo time discussing research papers, and his appointments need to be more about HIM.

9 Likes

I was gonna answer, but I can’t touch your remote rectal exam, so I won’t try.

4 Likes

:cowboy_hat_face: :poop: :point_up_2: :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

Two things stand out for me. The first time I started to lose a little faith, was when an endocrinologist told me I shouldn’t let (type 1) diabetes run my life. I had been recently diagnosed and having wild swings in my blood glucose readings because my insulin dosing was way too high and every time I corrected with the (recommended) dose of 15 carbs of orange juice, I seesawed the other way. Felt horrible all the time.

The second time, just this past year, a different endocrinologist recommended I change my insulin to carb ratio to 1:30 so I would stop having lows. That would certainly have resolved that issue, my current ratio is 1:9 with an average daily dose of 17 units.

Learned 4 years ago (diagnosed 5 years ago) that I was my best consultant about how to best treat my diabetes. Largely with the help of forums such as this one…and lots of research. My last A1C was 6.1, With a time in range consistently at better than 85%.

8 Likes

Totally agree with you on this one. My son would do the same. Now if he has a subtle (not steep on a CGM) low he treats with 4-5 carbs and waits it out. If he needs to treat with 10 more carbs, he gives insulin along with the carbs, despite being low. It is the only way he can manage to avoid a ridiculous rebound high to 250-300.

Welcome to our community, thanks for posting!

5 Likes

When diagnosed at age 5, I went to pediatrician, not endo (until I went to college). But he always greeted me with a funny name, pretending that he couldn’t remember my name. Most often was George, and I chuckle now any time I meet a George!

3 Likes

That is truly an elite level action. Not many people have figured out to do that.
:+1:

4 Likes