What is the most frustrating thing about living with diabetes?

i would love to try afrezza but another medication i take cannot be taken with it, and the other medication is imperative, so i cannot mess around. ugh.

you’re not a wimp!!! you’re just a pin cusion :wink:

2 Likes

why is that? i have tried it and noticed absolutely no difference. it affects my BGs exactly the same. (but then again, i’ve always had problems digesting milk…not other dairy, just milk in particular. havent a clue as to why)

1 Like

Bummer! It sounds like IM injections work almost the same in terms of end results, though, so at least you’ve got something you can do.

1 Like

well, it sounds like the Afrezza works MUCH faster than the IM does. but our friend Eric does IV injections which he claims take only minutes…in one minute and out the next. wow. why cant they make an insulin that works so efficiently? ( when i started using Humolog, i was told that you dont take it until the food is right in front of you. it was explained to me that there was no pre-bolus required at all. at the time, i had been using Regular, NPH, and Lente, so this seemed like the miracle insulin for eating. of course, now, we know better.) ah well…

1 Like

It works very fast. I have to dose 15-20 minutes after eating to avoid going low. I can’t imagine not pre-bolusing at all with humalog/Novolog. Ha!

1 Like

those were the days…

It was fun. Take one injection of Lente each morning, test urine, log results to bring to next Dr appt. Dr says, hmm, better increase your lente by 1 unit. See ya in 6 months.

I did this for 20 years before switching to new and improved NPH and Regular, (no pre bolus), using Exchange diet guidelines, for the next 10 years.

The frustrating thing about that, was in later years when I learned other T1Ds were treated more progressively, with faster insulin much sooner than I was, even after I attended a top notch University hospital promising the latest and greatest.

AND THE INTERNET DIDNT EXIST YET!!!

2 Likes

It’s just a regular habit for me to inject through clothes, I do it all the time (even if I’m at home, alone and with no “real” reason). :smirk:

3 Likes

i started out on the Exchange system, too. no ICR, either. just look at the exchanges and my 'round about BG number and inject. also, iwas taught to use my hand for measurements of portion sizes. a fist equaled this, an open hand equaled that,etc.

my how things have changed.

1 Like

well, the reason for me was simple laziness. why bother to pull down my pants or roll up a sleeve. :wink:

1 Like

This is what I used when first diagnosed (plus a sliding scale for regular/Toronto). Except I was told to take regular/Toronto 30-60 minutes before a meal.

I was on NPH until 2005, long after many people in the US had switched over, becasue for some reason it took five years to get approved in Canada.

1 Like

I stopped NPH when I started pump with Regular, in 1996. If I didn’t do pump, who knows how long I would have remained on NPH.

Have never used levemir or Lantus, although I keep levemir on hand in case of pump failure.

i tried to take a “pump vacation” once and used Lantus for 3 days. i hated it. i had already become spoiled from using my pump (rather than the old MDI method). i have never tried Levemir, but i keep both of them in my fridge just in case my pump breaks/malfunctions.

Whatever you have for a pump failure, it is super useful to try it a few times before you have a pump failure…
:open_mouth:

5 Likes

I know. One of those things you think is a good idea, but never get around to doing ! Maybe this year.

But I also have 2 out of warranty pumps, and regularly test that they still work.

4 Likes

I’ve never injected through clothing because 1. don’t know if the insulin would get through (i’m too compulsive and would want to see), 2. if there were blood, i’d want to clean it up. how would I know if I’m injecting through clothing? 3. it just sound unhygienic (to me) to inject through clothing. I have no proof of the “hygiene”.

That’s good. It’s always a good idea to backup paraphernilia. When my insurance changed, I was so relieved that I stockpiled up on test strips and insulin. Someone previously posted a photo of his insulin stash in case of power outage, snow…etc, all catastrophic scenarios for us. I smiled because I understood. I think we can all relate to that feeling of oh no…I’ve run out of xyz.

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Diluted insulin: how to make it last?