Welcome, introduce yourself here!

Hello everyone,

I live in Nanaimo, located on beautiful Vancouver Island, BC. I’ve been a T1D for 38 years, diagnosed in 1978 at two years old. I’m the only person in my entire family (including parents, sisters, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins…) who has T1D. Growing up, it was a bit of a struggle as we didn’t have the internet or any way to find new information about diabetes, other than yearly checkups with the Endo.

My parents also live in Nanaimo, with one sister about 40 kms away, and another sister in the big city of Vancouver. My boyfriend also lives in Vancouver and we travel back and forth every weekend (via ferry or float plane) to spend time together. He’s trying to move to Nanaimo before the end of 2018, but it’s not easy to find permanent, full-time work over here. He’s very involved and hands-on with my Diabetes and has helped many times with inserting an infusion set or taping one I’ve placed awkwardly on the back of my arm.

I’ve been using a Medtronic insulin pump (w/Humalog) for 12 years and very recently started using Dexcom CGM (tried Enlite system 1 year ago and it was a total fail). I love Dexcom and now understand why my Endo and CDE were trying so hard to convince me it was the “missing link”.

A few years ago when living in Montreal, I had an unpleasant experience on another D blog and deleted my profile, telling myself “never again!”. :rage:

Last month, I stumbled upon FUD while searching around for info on CGMs. I then came across: Gonna treat myself today! :joy: I laughed so hard and knew right then - this site was different. I happily created an account and am now reading through posts on extra tape and adhesives for CGM sensors…

12 Likes