Welcome, introduce yourself here!

Welcome, @Nicole! I was in bed turning in for the night and read your introduction and just had to get up and come downstairs to respond because our stories are SO similar. First, welcome to FUD! You will find SO many people here who are so very helpful and who can relate in more ways than one, to what you’re going through right now. There are many parts of your story that I’d like to respond too, so I’ll just start!

Our son, Liam was born 12/30/2013 so they are so close in age! Liam was diagnosed on February 29th, 2016 – he just recently celebrated his TWO YEAR DIAVERSARY! Can’t believe it’s been that long already. The first few months we struggled through everything, but we feel like we’re armed with the right kind of ammunition now to help Liam lead a full, healthy and happy life. The people here at FUD are the ones who helped @ErinElizabeth and I when Liam was first diagnosed and they’re still here today providing that ever important information.

Where abouts? My family all mostly live down in SW Virginia. They are scattered around from Roanoke all the way south down to Blacksburg/Christiansburg, Radford, Fairlawn, Pulaski and Draper. I grew up in Draper and Dublin, VA.

This was exactly us. No sooner than we changed Liam, his diaper was already full again and he was “thirsty”. Always thirsty. He was going through a gallon a day easily. I’m not sure if you’ve read his story yet, but here’s my son Liam’s Story. We were also in the hospital for 3 or 4 days (I don’t even remember anymore) while they figured out the “right dosing” for Liam so that we could take him home. When we first came home after that initial ER visit, we were calling the Endo team literally 5 or 6 times a day so afraid we were going to kill our son.

Things are drastically different today, having been living with this for over 2 years now. We visit our endo every 3 months (whether we need to talk to them about anything or not.) Our last A1C (I believe?) was 6.7%. Our goal is to try and stay under 7%, but our biggest goal is to just avoid hypoglycemia as much as possible.

Liam uses the Dexcom G5 as well as the Omnipod so we’re well versed on both of these pieces of technology. Our lives became SO much easier once we got him on the CGM…before that point, I wasn’t sleeping, hardly ever, because I was just wondering if my “peacefully sleeping” son was sleeping, or in a coma, or worse. The ability to see his BG’s on the receiver/phone has just been a lifesaver for us. We moved to the Omnipod because he didn’t like the many MDI shots we had to give him every day and, although he doesn’t like the Omnipod shot every 3 days either, it’s still only 1 shot every 3 days as opposed to 6 or 8 shots every day.

My wife isn’t a CPA, but she is an accountant and, before deciding she’d rather be staying at home full time as a mother for our many sons, she was an accountant for HOA organizations.

Please know that I’m here anytime you need any questions answered pertaining to dealing with a child our kids ages. @TiaG also has a son, Samson who is around our kids ages and Tia is a very intelligent lady is always willing to help as well.

If you have ANY questions at all, please feel free to PM me and I’ll help you and your husband out, day or night. Those initial months were SO tough for us, but the people here made it so much easier for us than it could have been without them.

Don’t hesitate to reach out to me via PM or, if you need or want to talk because things are especially stressful or you have questions, I’m happy to give you my home/cell phone number. We’re so close (both in VA) we should consider getting our kids together to let them show off their devices to each other!

Take care and again, welcome to FUD! I know you’ve been here a while, but I wasn’t aware of your story, or that we had so much in common!

4 Likes