Welcome, introduce yourself here!

Hello all,

To the founders of this site, thank you. Looking forward to reading post from the community. I have a list of other diabetes sites but most of those are heavily commercialized.

I’m 54 (almost… 02/29), married and have 2 daughters. I was hit with LADDA when I turned 48. It was an awful experience physically and emotionally. I had no insurance and the first doctor I visited had diagnosed Type 2. I also lost 30 lbs over 4 weeks. Being really physically active – running 5 miles 3x a week as well as 1.5 hours of strength training on those days, those 30lbs was all muscle. And I really had no info on what to do other than the crappy 10th generation copy of a 3 page general TD2 guidelines the doc gave me. It took another several months to get the right diagnosis from an Endo and then another 6 months to gain a bit of that weight back after he put me on the right course of action. That whole year I could not get insured as no one would insure me so the out of pocket was huge - bloodwork, insulin, other meds, test strips…

Fast forward to 2018. Even though I gained decent insurance through the ACA over the last few years my wife and I are again without insurance for 2018. I could not afford the extra $1000 a month increase from BCBSofIL - going from $800 to $1800 a month. So, I’m looking for ways to survive sans insurance.

Discovering FUdiabetes I’m hoping to gain insight into how others cope. Seems there’s quite a big community here. I’ve not come across many LADDA communities, so looking forward to reading how others handle their LADDA.

[split into Is it OK to order insulin from Canada?]

-a

10 Likes