Welcome, introduce yourself here!

Welcome @AravConnor, looking forward to learning more about you. We have a small but dedicated community and love new members!

1 Like

Sorry to see you join us @Andre, my son was diagnosed 5 years ago when he was 12. I really know what you are going through. We have many excellent members here that can help with dosing for all those sports and activities. Since diagnosis my son has run cross country, played junior high and high school baseball, played several soccer seasons, gone hiking and multi-day backpacking, swimming, etc. After you get the hang of it, diabetes won’t be what gets in your way.

3 Likes

Welcome to the group @Andre and @AravConnor.

2 Likes

Thanks for the motivation @Chris. This is how we approach it: we won’t let it get in his (our) way. He’s taking it pretty well, and we’re so proud of him.

2 Likes

Welcome, fellow Canadian! :canada: Pretty soon we’ll outnumber the Americans. I grew up in Ottawa and later the Valley. Diagnosed at 9 in '71 and spent a week in the Riverside Hospital. What a long way we’ve (collective, but royal too) come since then!

3 Likes

Hi Andre,
Welcome to FUD.

This is something I did for the parents last year. It’s a long thread, a lot of reading, but it might be of interest to you as a parent.

For the parents

It’s not really about treating diabetes though. It is different than the typical advice you get from diabetes forums. It doesn’t really talk about treating diabetes much at all.

I look forward to hearing about your son’s running!

3 Likes

It is definitely worth the read.

3 Likes

Thanks @Eric, long post, but definitely worth it (as @Chris correctly stated). Heck, diabetes or not, your determination is inspirational for anyone. You gotta love running to go through all that! I’m confident our son can achieve great things, if he so chooses. Hopefully many more of these to come:

8 Likes

That is so awesome! Congrats!
:star_struck:

3 Likes

That is Awesome!

1 Like

Welcome to all the new folks! If you’re a parent of a younger child, new into the world of Diabetes, and you ever have questions, please send me a PM anytime and I’ll do my best to help! Our son, Liam was diagnosed at 2 and is now going on 7. We are PODders, we Loop, we use Novolog and the Dexcom G5 (soon to be the G6 once they boot us off the G5’s.)

Welcome to this community of very sincere individuals who work to make our lives #unlimited in spite of Diabetes.

3 Likes

Let me add my welcome as well. I am an occasional contributor here - was diagnosed with T1D at 50! Now I’m 60 and use a TSlim and a Dexcom g6 with humalog. It is a whole new set of behaviors and your son will have to include a bit more planning for whatever he does - the trick is “management” and then you can learn to live with the disease.

e

4 Likes

Hello! I’m Natalie and I have Type 3c diabetes–I survived necrotizing pancreatitis 2 years ago but lost most of my pancreas. So I’m insulin-dependent and take pancreatic enzymes with every meal (the latter are way more expensive than the former, btw).

I still produce some insulin on my own, so my biggest challenge is not giving myself too much insulin before meals. I just started using a Dexcom G6 and I really like the level of control it’s giving me over my blood sugar. At some point, what’s left of my pancreas is just going to stop working entirely, so I’m grateful for this period of time where I’m not having major BG swings (which is typical of T3cs).

Found this community while I was looking for info on the Dexcom, and this seems like the sort of online community I like best. Glad to be here. :smiley:

10 Likes

Really glad you found us and started posting @eilatan. Looking forward to learning more about you on the boards. Glad you survived the necrotizing pancreatitis, that sounds scary. Of course many diabetics share the insulin problem, it is amazing how many paths lead to insulin injections. So many differences, so much the same.

2 Likes

Welcome, @eilatan. You may be the first Type 3c forum contributor (I might be wrong though, my memory is horrible), but either way I look forward your diabetes perspective and contributions!

2 Likes

Also for the record, @Chris and @Michel, our site has no “Type 3c” diabetes connection entry so you may want to get on that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My perspective is mostly complaining about how much I hate my sliver o’ pancreas and how there’s so little information about us T3cs; many doctors don’t know what it is. And having a way to flag myself as a T3c would be awesome.

5 Likes

I think T3C may be worse than T1 and/or T2 because at least in the other two types, the pancreas still functions to produce the other important enzymes and hormones that help break down foods and other things, but in T3C’s…if you have no, or little pancreas, those enzymes / hormones aren’t capable of being produced either!

Are you on medicines or therapy that somehow allow your body to produce those important enzymes and hormones?

Glad you joined us and this community supports and aids each other (even if it’s just being there for a listening ear) where possible.

3 Likes

I take supplemental digestive enzymes with every meal. It’s basically very expensive ground up pig pancreas with an enteric coating so it makes it into the small intestine. My first order every year basically meets my deductible.

I am at a higher risk for malabsorption of fat-soluble vitamins–A, D, E, and K–but that doesn’t seem to be a problem, currently. I’m supposed to eat a low fat diet (in addition to low carbs and low sodium), so I’d say I’m eating cardboard, but I’m also supposed to eat low residue, which limits fiber. I find it, ah, challenging to manage all those different aspects of diet, so I’ve been focusing mostly on the carbs side of thing so I can figure out all my ratios.

My main problem is that when I first got ill with gallstone pancreatitis, my initial medical team mismanaged my case and gave me too many IV fluids and then sent me home with 50 lbs of water weight, which then caused a cascade of other issues which lead to the necrosis.

By the time my beloved GI doctor arrived on the scene, the damage had been done. The infection from the necrosis destroyed the veins in my abdomen, which means I have portal hypertension and recurrent ascites which I have to get drained periodically–I average about 5L each time. The excess fluid has caused a truly impressive umbilical hernia, which will have to be surgically repaired at some point. I also need my gallbladder removed and probably my spleen as well.

I am super fun at parties. :laughing:

6 Likes

You sound fun even though you deal with a lot! Keeping an optimistic outlook is always the answer imo.

2 Likes