Waffle + walk success!

I had a major win today in my book.

Today I made waffles for the first time since diagnosis (Aug 2021), adjusting my trusty pre-diagnosis recipe to reduce the sugar, replace some flour with almond flour, and swap out cow milk for no sugar soy milk.

It was an experiment and I ended up with perfectly crispy waffles that have about 13g of carbs each. I ate 2 (!), plus a bunch of sliced strawberries and even a small cup with a dribbling of maple syrup to dip into. It was delicious. :drooling_face: :waffle:

We planned a walk after waffles. I’m on MDI and I halved my insulin as I usual do for walks like this. I went high as expected at the beginning (peaking around 210 mg/dL which I blame that on the maple syrup), but on our 1.5+ hour walk, I didn’t need any glucose tabs at all. :grin: Without fail, I always need glucose tabs at some point on our walks, usually for preventing a low rather than treating one.

I did pop a few Skittles when I got home since I went down to 66 after we got back and lunch wasn’t quite ready, but it’s still a major win for me! :tada:

13 Likes

Reducing basal might change that, but it’s a choice thing; basal is the circus elephant in the body, it sits there waiting for something sweet to eat and just grabs it if it goes past. So higher basals act as a buffer on fast acting food at the cost of requiring constant food intake; well, constant introduction of glucose into the blood stream, it can be via the metabolism of other things than carbs, like protein and fat.

Some T1s who retain some amount of insulin production don’t need a basal; it’s an important part of the problem with the definition of “T1”, because people who cannot product any insulin are in a very different situation from people who have even minute insulin production. That makes the rules completely different with regard to the basal because insulin production slows down or stops alpha cell glucagon production; that’s a powerful and dangerous modifier if basal insulin delivery is happening because beta cells don’t just respond to blood sugar.