Very basic insulin using question

It wasn’t very long ago that many of us were also new to this. That is one the primary reasons we started this site. We are glad to share what has worked, and not worked for us, and hopefully shorten your learning cycle. This disease puts you on the learning treadmill like no other.

5 Likes

So, bearing in mind I’m on injections so can’t get too crazy with smaller increments… would you do the full amount upfront and add more later? Or divide it up?

It sounds like you are doing great for 6 weeks! Wow, that’s amazing.

There is so much to learn that it will seem overwhelming if you try to learn too much all at once. Just get little bits at a time instead of trying to get it all at once.

Experiment with timing and dosing and foods, take notes, make observations, and keep at it.

I am sorry if some of the stuff you read doesn’t make sense right now. Eventually things start to come together. Being here is a great way to learn. Keep asking questions.

1 Like

Well… i am closing in on 31 years but my 2 yeat old son is just over 1.25 years on MDi so I am both old and new to this. My wife does most of the diabetes stuff for my son and after about a year she has figured things out ao there is hope :slight_smile:

Funny kid story - kid was 4.2 (75) before bed and had been running around so we gave him a couple of carbs to bump him up and cover the exercise. Then he says… “Need some protien” so funny.

5 Likes

With the advantage of knowing what happened, I would now do your full dose in the beginning, and then add 1/4 more after 30 minutes. That will lower the time you are high, and depending on your activity level might give you a 6-10 carb dessert to try and land the drop on the backend of the meal (using your Dexcom). We aim for meal excursions to not be above 150 for more than an hour. (We aren’t always successful).

Just know that very soon, because you have access to the Dexcom data, you will start to treat each meal you eat as an individual thing, and you will tailor your insulin to how you digest that meal. So, right now, you are doing the basics i.e. counting carbs and getting the dose right (Congrats on that btw, not everyone can do that easily).

Eventually you will without much effort reach the next level where you start adjusting for other factors like meal composition and activity level in the 2 hours prior to a meal and your anticipated activity after.

2 Likes