Unlimited photos

With Forest Park Conservancy, doing a ‘Beers Made By Walking’ hike. Typical Oregon weather. Sunshine. Then a load of rain and hail.

Didn’t have to touch my jelly beans…or insulin. Once. And if I had to, well, that would be ok too.

8 Likes

Very cool trip @John58!!

2 Likes

Indeed !! First time I’ve been to Netherlands/Belgium and it is a biking paradise. Made it to Bruges and enjoying local beer and biking around on cobblestones. A few hiccups with high overnight BG, mainly associated with overeating and underbolussing.

2 Likes

I went biking in Holland in the mid-1970s and was astonished that they had things like dedicated bike lanes and even separate traffic lights for bikes. A friend who was there last year said that at the signalled intersections, if there are no cars coming, the light stays green for the bike lanes. Forty years later, in the big city where I live now, simply building bike lanes progresses at a snail’s pace or is relegated to six-month pilot studies. Sigh.

3 Likes

I found it pretty chaotic in the Dutch cities…scooters and motorcycles also use the bike lanes and create some havoc. Outside the urban areas, the network of bikeways allows for easy riding to just about anywhere.

1 Like

I was in here looking for pics… and I found you! What a lovely lady with diabetes and a lovely family to boot!

2 Likes

Thank you, @Nickyghaleb!!

1 Like

It’s about 11:30 pm and I became SO hungry for eggs, bacon and toast just looking at all the bacon photos! so delicious… but alas, earlier in the day, I had chocolate mousse, coffee with coffee ice cream, I think I’ll save the bacon for tomorrow or the weekend. LOL.

3 Likes

In case anyone asks (we use a lot of bacon in the house) pre-cooking 2 lbs of bacon can be accomplished on two rimmed sheet pans on parchment paper with no cleanup if you size the parchment paper correctly. You can cook it in the oven at 350 for 25-35 minutes depending on how often you rotate the pans, even faster if you use the convection option.

Then you can store it in a tupperware and make it ready to eat in a pan with 3 minutes of cooking. mmmm bacon.

7 Likes

Nice! We love bacon! I will never again make it in a pan.

We use tinfoil and 425° because I often bake it with my own version of this amazing recipe for a puffy oven pancake. (Which despite making almost every weekend when we are home, we have yet to figure out the insulin delivery…and it’s usually a train wreck. Tasty though!)

I only make the puffy oven pancake in a cast iron pan and I toss in a thinly sliced apple when the butter is heating up. Also, I use regular dairy milk. And we add jam! My favorite is cherry jam. Also syrup is good. Yum.

http://www.crossfitbrit.com/paleo-dutch-baby-recipe/

5 Likes

Kim is only here to taunt the diabetics on FUD.

:grinning:

9 Likes

I LOVE cherry jam!! So good for fixing a trending low!

My preferred brand is from Italy: Luxardo “Amarascata”.

5 Likes

Do you preheat or cold start the oven? Seems like I used to cold start it for bacon…

1 Like

We do a hot start, but I don’t see why a cold start would hurt at all, probably would result in the overall cooking taking less time.

Gotta check it more often with a cold start—easier to burn it (been there, done that). :frowning_face:

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

I usually cold start.

Parchment paper 375F convection.

1 Like

Sorry about the low quality, these are pictures of pictures!

I spent time with my mom today and she had a bunch of old photo albums out. There are thousands of pictures, but I wanted to post a few.

These are some that made me feel Unlimited. I don’t think diabetes mattered one lick when I was growing up.

Right before diagnosis, the last pic I saw before I became diabetic. Christmas 1971.

This was right before I was taken to the hospital. I was extremely sick, my mom thought I was going to die. She told me she took these pictures so people could see what I looked like in case I didn’t make it. She has been putting these albums together over the past few years and the paper in the corner says “Eric got diabetes”.

You can see I was wearing the same pajamas as I was in the picture above.

Some beach pics. This was only 4 months after I was diagnosed! My parents did not let D stop us from doing anything.

Here I am crabbing. Same time as above, 4 months later. That’s my dad in the background with the cigarette hanging out of his mouth. :grinning:

First Halloween after diagnosis. My sister and I are counting up the haul.

Same year, horseback riding.

This was my first love. Little Anne Newton. I was smitten! :heart:

Deep sea fishing, 16 months later.

Going off the Army Ranger jump tower. I think this was a year after diagnosis.

Senior prom, going to pick up my date. And a night that to this day remains one of the greatest all time stunts ever pulled off by any teenagers.

Me, my friend Mike Duffel, and our dates Becky and Beth, got away with something teenagers nowadays could never pull off. Glory days.

Freshmen year playing soccer on the college Junior Varsity team. That’s me with the ball.

Age unknown, somewhere between 18 and 20, I think.

Just a “few” years later, enjoying a shake with my two boys.

A bonus pick. My mom is more Unlimited than anyone ever. On the left was right before she got on the boat to come to America by herself. And on the right, I am not sure of the year.

That’s it. Sorry about the length of this post!

23 Likes

Wow!! Thanks for sharing.

My mom wrote on the back of my kindergarten school photo, that I looked so thin and droopy because it was taken just days before my diagnosis.

A month later, have pictures of my siblings birthday, with me eyeing the cake, and I was looking much better.

I love the old black and white photos!

4 Likes

Well what was the stunt? And is that an old Datsun Z?

3 Likes