Type 3c Diabetes

Type 3c has to do with other types of problems with the pancreas:

2 Likes

Getting hard to keep track of all the different D’s!

1 Like

I thought I was a T3? (Caregiver to a diabetic). Agree with @Eric

“Type 3c diabetes is diabetes that occurs following damage to the pancreas. It is also termed ‘pancreatogenic diabetes’ or ‘diabetes of the exocrine pancreas’. Pancreatic disease is thought to produce a form of diabetes (Type 3c) which has some features similar to Type 1 diabetes (a need for medical insulin relatively soon after diagnosis) and some features similar to Type 2 diabetes (diagnosed in a similar age group and easy to miss unless blood sugar testing is performed).”

Learn something new every day I suppose.

1 Like

And here I thought that T1 was always only in children and T2 was always what it is when you get it as an adult. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

No, T1 is from eating too much sugar.

2 Likes

I’ve also read of people calling Alzheimer’s Disease “Type 3 Diabetes”

1 Like

Ditto. Started hearing that a couple years ago.

1 Like

I knew someone like this, who had diabetes she believed due to organ damage from (successful) cancer treatments as a child. She had what looked like permanent, earlier LADA, but starting around age 10—she required insulin, but she clearly had some islet cell functioning, since her doses were small and her control very easy relative to a typical T1 (and she was in her mid 20s by the time I met her). Some of the LADA folks I hear maintaining excellent A1cs with relatively minimal effort remind me of her—really does not seem like the same disease I have in some respects.

I met a woman in the endocrinologist’s office when we were all there for the Afrezza rep meeting, and she had adult onset diabetes caused by an organ transplant - I believe she said it was some of the medication that she took to limit the chance of organ rejection. She didn’t need a basal insulin but did require a small mealtime bolus if the meal was carb-y. It made me kinda sad because she was having a hard time remembering to bolus before meals, as she’d gotten this issue around the age of 62 or so (new to her, thus difficult to remember a new habit). Anyhow, it sounded quite different than T1, but nothing like T2. Maybe it was T3.