Trigger finger

Hi all,

In the last few years I have had the new experience of trigger finger + cortisone injections. Now I have had trigger finger three times. The first time I had it, was in my thumb (that was probably 5 years ago.) Today, I just had another cortisone injection in my ring finger for trigger finger. Unfortunately I had a cortisone injection in the same finger about 6 months ago. I was told you can get a max of 4 shots per finger in your lifetime.

I guess I’m writing because the whole trigger finger thing freaks me out! :grimacing:
I start worrying about getting it in other fingers, having to have surgery… and there are a lot of fingers!

I was told that if surgery is needed, then it is a permanent fix. So I suppose even though that doesn’t sound fun, knowing that it is fixable is good.

I almost don’t want to ask for people’s stories with trigger finger (like I said, cause I’m kind of freaked out about it!) but am still curious to know what your experience has been like.

Also wondering about blood sugars after the shot? I’m my searching of the forum last night, I saw some people experienced highs after the shot. I was cautioned about this by the doctor, but I have not experienced anything extreme - just have been running a little high since yesterday afternoon when I got the injection.

3 Likes

Hi @Sofe! I’ve also had a few rounds of trigger digit. My first time was with my thumb, and it just took me forever to get it diagnosed. I think there was a lot of unnecessary pain and discomfort because of that late diagnosis. It was actually a year of pain—gone overnight. The second instance was diagnosed right away, and, again, treated by injection for immediate relief. The third faded in and faded out. :woman_shrugging:

I did have high blood sugar after the shots, but it wasn’t anything crazy. In fact, I took a nice long walk both times (not a fast one—was warned against any heavy exertion), and that, coupled with a couple of correction boluses, was enough to get me back in range. I know lots of people do a temp basal, but I didn’t even need all of that. I needed a walk, a handful of boluses, and not to have cake.

I hope you get it sorted, and I hope you don’t let yourself get too consumed by fear. Maybe another shot will be enough, and, if not, you can find a doctor who can help you arrive at a good decision.

I wish you luck!

2 Likes

Hi @Nickyghaleb !

Thanks for your input! Luckily I do like & trust the doctor (orthopedic surgeon who specializes in trigger finger) so if further treatment is needed, I feel like I’m in good hands.

And you’re right about not letting the fear consume (!) Sometimes it’s easy to go to a bunch of what if’s, but not so helpful.

Thanks!

2 Likes

That’s priceless. Then you can trust the recommendation. It’s nice to be able to voice concern and then let the doctor be the doctor.

Don’t get me wrong… I love the what if’s… I just try my best not to indulge. :grin: Or over-indulge maybe. Can’t stop that first wave. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I had several trigger fingers and frozen shoulder after my 1st son was born. For the trigger finger, it was thumb and the index fingers in varying degrees. The thumb was the worst, at one point I could not move my thumb at all. I started a weight training program, at it completely went away. Like totally! I remember not being able pick up dumb bells at first, then within a few weeks it was gone. I could snap my fingers again.

I know it is anecdotal, but for me it worked. They say motion is lotion and I believe it. My shoulder is ongoing, I do mobility exercises just so it does not worsen.

4 Likes