Tresiba night time lows daytime highs? Go back to Lantus?

Hi. Do you have any advise how to switch back from Tresiba? I’m having tough times with it, from lows to highs and I can not get the dosage right. So I want to get back to Lantus that I used before… I’m just worried about the dosage I should use…? Lower, split doses in to know transition??

1 Like

I’ve been through this to…

Taking tresiba in morning instead of evening helps for me, but I often forgot to in the morning so that didn’t work well.

I retried Lantus just for the heck of it… I’d long been a tresiba fanboy but honestly Lantus did seem to keep flatter at night. Problem is I can’t even push a shopping cart around a grocery store on Lantus without my bg dropping, where with tresiba I can take off running for miles…

I’m glad I tried Lantus again, I just did 1 pen for a refresher, it worked well at night… all and all I still find tresiba advantageous though

2 Likes

@airtas
I take Lantus and have the same pattern as the original question.
With 12 u once a day (at night) I go low through the night and resistant high after lunch (200s). 13 u is too much. So, I try to take 12.5 u and that allows me an occasional “snack” during the day, and I usually need a 10 g CHO snack (Belvita) at bedtime (unless I make a dosing mistake during the day). At night if my Dexcom alarms, I take a Smartie (dextrose, 6 g) and eat a Belvita (10 g CHO “cracker”) which I keep in my night table. If I wake up at night (2 to 3 am) to use the bathroom, I quickly check my Dexcom. If I’m below 90 I know I won’t last until I get up (6 to 6:30 am) so I throw a 5 g CHO peppermint in my mouth and go back to sleep. Kind of crazy, but works for me. I’d rather be chasing lows than trying to get highs down.
The Belvita is thanks to @Eric !
@Eric thanks so much for that suggestion, it works well for me.

2 Likes

Having worked with lantus, toujeo, levemir, and tresiba, I ended up going back to Lantus (single dose at 7:45 pm). I started earlier in the evening but would have lows in the early morning. Moving it to 7:45 started sliding the peak closer to morning BG raises and ultimately things became rather flat. The challenge was then to make sure that the humalog doses in the early evening took care of the number prior to bed. Splitting the lantus dose resulted in it not lasting long enough for the overlaps to blend properly.

2 Likes