Tresiba experiment

On the information about Tresiba onset, peak, and duration it says that it takes 30-90 minutes to kick in. So I guess I could disconnect my pump now.

2 Likes

The threads are on the flexpen itself, but the plastic piece is easy to remove if you have an old Novo penfill laying around.

Re waiting for it to kick in, I’d expect that if your dose is correct, you’d be running a bit high the first day, but nothing drastic or unsafe that you couldn’t counter with extra corrections. If you are fine, I would expect your dose is likely ultimately too high, but YDMV. I would not wait the 3 days to dial it back on the off-change you’re immediately running low—it will only keep doing it more, so my strategy in that case would probably be to drop it by several units at least for your next injection in efforts to slightly undershoot your eventual need if anything and then incrementally work up (with the 3 day wait) as needed.

I’m practicing dialing up doses on mine with my eyes closed… try this— as you dial the dose upward relax the twist a little so it twists back a little under it’s spring tension between each click. This seems to make each click more distinct. I’m having no trouble dialing up correct doses when I do that but if I just twist it continuously upwards the clicks are squishy and I can see how it’d be challenging if you can’t see it

Whatever technique you learn I suspect after a few days it’ll be second nature and you will be used to it

1 Like

I just dosed some Fiasp with my NovoPen Echo, and there is no comparison. I think many people in the US have never seen the reusable pens, since I don’t think they’re available there, and don’t know what they’re missing. So much higher quality and nicer (plus half-unit dosing and built-in memory of the last dose and time).

2 Likes

Yep, this would definitely be my strategy if I start having multiple lows.

Yeah, I’m sure I’ll get used to it…but it will always suck compared to the reusable NovoPens. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I bought a box of fig bars on the way home. So I have lots of carbs to eat should my dose be too high for the first little while. :slight_smile:

This is the most forgiving basal in the world. I think you might be amazed how easy your life is about to get

If I have the same experience as yours. It seems many people haven’t had such an easy experience. Time will tell which category I fall into.

Lol I remember someone on a different forum actually tried it and meticulously documented how their control was improved over what it was with an insulin pump, then went back to then insulin pump anyway just because they were bored I guess and wanted diabetes to be a bigger part of their life again… people and their emotional bond to insulin pumps just boggle my mind. Maybe they felt like they were betraying their pump or cheating on it…

No, my understanding is he went back becasue he wanted to use an APS system. And, from what he’s since posted, his control on that system is less work and better control than he’s ever had. So I’d say that’s fair.

I think both quality of life and control are important. If it works out that my control with Tresiba is way, way better than it was with a pump, then I’ll probably stick with it. If it’s worse, obviously I’ll go back to pumping. But if it’s about equal with no clear advantage to Tresiba, I’d probably go back to the pump because I prefer it over doing 8 or more injections per day and manual logging.

1 Like

We do have the echo here. We use it all the time. Our endo gives them out for free, in fact.

But, when we buy them, it is cheaper for us to buy them in Canada! My wife bought 4 by mail last summer…

1 Like

If it’s about equal you’d also probably also be able to take into consideration on a level playing field the disadvantages of being connected to a pump 24 hours / day, the reduced safety of not using long acting, the disadvantage of being completely dependent on a pump. The one-malfunction away from a medical emergency disadvantage of a pump, the social benefits of not wearing a medical device everywhere you go, the having to carry both primary and secondary supplies everywhere you go just to have the safety that you have with just primary mdi supplies and so-on… but to get to where we’re comparing on a level playing field we’ve gotta see what happens with your bg

Wow, I’ve never had to buy one. I get them from my endo or diabetes clinic at the hospital. Or even at the pharmacy if I’m filling a prescription for cartridges (I think they give it to me for free, but maybe the government covers that cost and I’m just not aware of it).

1 Like

Don’t knock it until you tried it :laughing:

I find it so funny that you have such a negative attitude towards the pump despite never using one. To me the ONLY disadvantage is insulin absorption issues creating high BG.

Being connected is a non-issue, anyone who has used a pump will tell you they are not dependent on it (you can disconnect at any time, just need to know how to manage the disconnection period), most pumpers keep short- and long-acting insulin as backup (I have Lantus sitting in my fridge), the pump doesn’t create a medical emergency unless someone is not testing often (which they should be regardless of MDI or pump), there are zero social issues with the pump and in fact being able to bolus without ever taking the pump out of my pocket is one of the things I’d really miss, and I carry a crapload of medical supplies with me anyway because I have multiple chronic illnesses. So really, none of your list of disadvantages has any downside for me except the fact that the pump does only use short-acting insulin and can create high BGs very quickly at times.

It’s OK that you’re against the pump, though really a bit funny since I’m not sure where such negativity comes from since you haven’t had a negative experience with the pump yourself… But, you should recognize that the pump does fit some people’s lifestyle better than injections. And there’s nothing at all wrong with that.

1 Like

I’m not against the pump at all… I just think their disadvantages deserve just as much consideration as their advantages, and I’m excited to be getting to a point with technology where a true and fair comparison is finally possible… well that and I’m genuinely perplexed by not understanding the emotional connection people seem to have to them

Trust me, anyone who has looked into a pump is told of both the advantages and disadvantages. I don’t feel at all (as someone who has gone through the process of switching from MDI to pump and gone through pump training) that the pump was presented as all advantage and no disadvantage.

3 Likes

But to clarify, I’m not against pumps at all. I would gladly use one if I thought they were superior. I look forward to revisiting the topic after you see how well tresiba works…